Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Minister for Justice Alan Shatter has just resigned.

• 07-05-2014 5:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭

Where do people think that leaves us?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Chem Lord

The last thing they can do is delay the recruitment of new gardai, it's just not an option at this stage.... I don't think this will effect us at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ShodenMcClane

Chem Lord wrote: »
    The last thing they can do is delay the recruitment of new gardai, it's just not an option at this stage.... I don't think this will effect us at all.

I hope you're right but what are you basing that on?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 board_stupid

The Department of Justice and Equality have made an explicit commitment to recommence Garda Recruitment late this summer, the wheels have been in motion for some time and the drive towwards recrutiment this year is both inexorable and necessary.

They're under pressure from the GRA, who have highlighted recently that the rate of retirement is heavily outpacing the rate of recruitment, and have said that approx 300 recruits this year is the bare minimum required by AGS. The GRA have also let known their frustration at the fact they believe the DOJ isn't cooperating with them/listening to them as much as they should be.

Also, coming up to local and European elections, it would be tantamount to political suicie for FG to put the brakes on Garda recruitment.

They're doing their utmost to emphasisehow many jobs they've created, so to shut down public service jobs over which they have direct control would be a disastrous move.

It's easy to get worried about it but I am sure it won't have much of an impact. On the flipside of the coin, the Guerin report's emphasis on reform might be good for Gardaí hopefuls.

Keep thinking positively:).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,533 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

It won't have any negative impact on current recruitment, the wheels are in motion now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Where do people think that leaves us?

With one less Minister for Justice?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭King Ludvig

New minister to be appointed tomorrow. I don't think it'll have an impact on the current campaign. With a bit of luck the new minister will push for increased recruitment and resources.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭billie1b

Anyone any suggestions as to who the new Minister for Justice will be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

I would like to see Frances Fitzgerald be appointed Minister for DOJ

Herself and a permanent appointment as Garda commissioner for Noirin O Sullivan would be a change that is badly needed in this sector

Some Girlpower might do us all a bit o good ;)

Someone suggested Raider but it seems to have been deleted

Frances Fitzgerald is new Minister for Justice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ann.lewis

We have a woman :) Frances Fitzgerald.
    A female minister and a (hopefully) female commissioner.

Let's see things done properly now :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

ann.lewis wrote: »
    We have a woman :) Frances Fitzgerald.
    A female minister and a (hopefully) female commissioner.

Let's see things done properly now :)

Those patrol cars certainly need a good cleaning and hoovering.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ann.lewis

Santa Cruz wrote: »

Have your bucket ready ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Santa Cruz wrote: »

Mod

I would advise you change your posting style before your posting privileges are removed

-KERSPLAT!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,921 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Idk if he is trolling or not but he has got a point the Garda fleet is in awful state. Its embarrassing when your car breaks down on one of the busiest street in Thurles even more embarrassing when its a patrol car for the traffic corp. Two weeks ago a 2005 Ford Galaxy patrol car broke down on Liberty Square and it took over 40 minutes to get the car started again whilst the two Gardai were left just sitting in the car with people walking past laughing at them. Thurles one of the busiest districts in the country has lost 5 cars and all Alan Shatter did to address this problem was merge the Templemore district with Thurles (which itself lost 3 cars and the remainder are now moved to Thurles). Shatter had to go and I'm glad he is gone he should never have been appointed as minister of justice he has done some irreversible damage to the Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Lady Kitkat103

Hi everyone! I just had to come on and say how excited I am by the fact there's two women in charge of the Garda and defence! EXCITMENT! :D:D:D:D

Hi everyone! I just had to come on and say how excited I am by the fact there's two women in charge of the Garda and defence! EXCITMENT! :D:D:D:D

3 Women, Garda Commisioner, Noirin O Sullivan, Minister for Justice, Frances Fitzgerald and Minister for Defence, Enda Kenny

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Lady Kitkat103

LOVE IT!! :D I am not happy about the minister for defence! I am a member of the RDF and we've been screwed enough already!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ShodenMcClane

4 women in fact. The AG and DPP are also ladies.

State pathologist ......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,556 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Chief Justice, President of the District Court, Chief State Solicitor.....

And first all-female Special Criminal Court sitting at the moment.....

Advertisement