Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Dublin, need a bit of advice..

Options
  • 07-05-2014 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi, just got offered a placement down in Dublin for a year and have to start at the end of June. I'm 20 and moving down from Belfast, was thinking about moving to Rathmines or Ranelagh but I don't know Dublin that well apart from the touristy parts. Are they good areas and is there much to do in them? Would be interested in joining some sort of team like rugby or football for a bit of craic and just to meet people, is there much like that down there?
    Cheers!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

JMac26 wrote: »
    Hi, just got offered a placement down in Dublin for a year and have to start at the end of June. I'm 20 and moving down from Belfast, was thinking about moving to Rathmines or Ranelagh but I don't know Dublin that well apart from the touristy parts. Are they good areas and is there much to do in them? Would be interested in joining some sort of team like rugby or football for a bit of craic and just to meet people, is there much like that down there?
    Cheers!

Rathmines and Ranelagh are both very good areas. Slightly more expensive than the Northside but well worth it. Tons of amenities, including a cinema in Rathmines. Multiple bars, restaurants, and more supermarkets and pharmacies than you can shake a stick at. Both also quite safe areas, especially Ranelagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 JMac26

Magenta wrote: »
    Rathmines and Ranelagh are both very good areas. Slightly more expensive than the Northside but well worth it. Tons of amenities, including a cinema in Rathmines. Multiple bars, restaurants, and more supermarkets and pharmacies than you can shake a stick at. Both also quite safe areas, especially Ranelagh.

Brilliant, thanks! Will be working near Connolly so should be handy enough on the bus from there. What would the age of people be like in Ranelagh/Rathmines would it be more young people and students?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Brilliant, thanks! Will be working near Connolly so should be handy enough on the bus from there. What would the age of people be like in Ranelagh/Rathmines would it be more young people and students?

Very studenty area. Rathmines probably more so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

Collie D wrote: »
    Very studenty area. Rathmines probably more so

Pretty young, yeah, but there's never any trouble or noise at night. I found Drumcondra noisy at night due to party goers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Ranelagh/Rathmines has generally been home to generations of UCD students, so the area is quite student-y. It is also very close to some of the more well off areas of D4 &D6, which can affect the price of rents.

I agree with Mr S, if you want to stay close to town, you would generally get more bang for your buck in the north side suburbs of Drumcondra, Glasnevin, Phibsboro etc etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 JMac26

Cheers! I've been looking at Drumcondra it seems to be a good wee spot, the flats seem to be better quality for what your paying for them. Phibsborough has a lot more rentals than the other areas though, what type of area is it?

Sorry for all the questions btw! Only part of Dublin I know is Croker :L

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

Nothing wrong with any of the areas mentioned but if you are working near Connolly anywhere along the Dart line would also be good.

Advertisement