Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planting a Hedge to a replace a boundary fence on the cheap, newbie needs help

• 07-05-2014 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I live in a terraced house and have a fence at the back of my garden separating me and the person living behind me. A couple of weeks back in February when we had the really bad winds, the fence was completely blown down

Before

fence1_zpsac1568ba.jpg

After

2014-05-07155341_zpsf27ef536.jpg

I had to take the fence down, as it totally collapsed on my side and was an eye sore. Would a Hedge be the cheapest solution ?, my gardening skills only go as far as cutting the grass :-P.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

cheaper, yes. Slower too.

My commiserations, you've got Japanese knotweed too...aaaghhhhhh

What you could use is Lonicera, Golden Privet or Box (buxus). Or maybe even Rosemary. Or a mixture of all of these. My brother has a hedge of that thing that goes mad out of control (high) without maintenance. The name escapes me. But he has it nice and tidy to four feet tall, it looks the biz. Oh yeah, Leylandii. Be VERY careful with it. It's not as bad as JK, but you have to keep on top of it.

If you could string a few wires across the void you could try a few climbers, clematis (spring and summer flowering), honeysuckle, climbing/rambling rose etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭J0hnick

Thanks for the advice, do you know of anything that would get to about 5 feet
    without any maintenance ?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭LurkerNo1

Another fence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

You seriously need to deal with the japanese knotweed- and next door as well. It will cause all sorts of problems to walls and other structures if not dealt with:
    http://invasivespeciesireland.com/most-unwanted-species/established/terrestrial/japanese-knotweed

J0hnick wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice, do you know of anything that would get to about 5 feet
    without any maintenance ?.

The only thing that's maintenance free is a fence, and even then may need a coat of preservative every now and then.

Like everything, there's a trade off. You'd have to do SOME maintenance. I've to do both sides of my hedge as neighbour does nowt. If left, it's got a smooth vertical look on my side and a raggedy ass look on the other. If there's an old lady opposite yours....hmmm, well maybe she has sons to cut it.

Rosemary doesn't grow high, nor does fuschia, or box. Depends. Everything needs a little maintenance. You pays your money and you takes your choice.

Your bigger issue is the presence of JK as above...just, please don't dump it...

• Advertisement

Ive just been reading about the Japanese Knotweed, so now I know what those big bamboo like plants that have been a total pain in the backside are, Ive read this stuff can go through concrete and everything. Whats the best way to get rid of them ?, according to Wikipedia you have to use a weedkiller that contains Glyphosate, I got some weed killer but Im not sure if it has that in it.

Ive just been reading about the Japanese Knotweed, so now I know what those big bamboo like plants that have been a total pain in the backside are, Ive read this stuff can go through concrete and everything. Whats the best way to get rid of them ?, according to Wikipedia you have to use a weedkiller that contains Glyphosate, I got some weed killer but Im not sure if it has that in it.

It'll be on the contents on the back. If it doesn't, google some of the ones that's listed. Somebody on the other thread advised injecting it into the stem and then applying it on the leaves. Roundup is sold in a spray bottle, but it's also sold in sachets that you mix up. To make it strong, you reduce the amount of water. It's potent. Wear gloves. Don't touch your face or nose! Wash your hands afterwards. Rinse out the container you mix it in. But don't pour it on anything you want to live. Maybe in the street gulley...

tampopo wrote: »
    It'll be on the contents on the back. If it doesn't, google some of the ones that's listed. Somebody on the other thread advised injecting it into the stem and then applying it on the leaves. Roundup is sold in a spray bottle, but it's also sold in sachets that you mix up. To make it strong, you reduce the amount of water. It's potent. Wear gloves. Don't touch your face or nose! Wash your hands afterwards. Rinse out the container you mix it in. But don't pour it on anything you want to live. Maybe in the street gulley...

Thanks, will this work ?

http://www.thegardenshop.ie/rambo-weed-killer.html

The stuff I got from my local DIY place is called "Irish Organic Weed Killer", no mention of Glyphosate, good thing I kept the receipt.

Yes, that'll do you...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Thanks, will this work ?

http://www.thegardenshop.ie/rambo-weed-killer.html

The stuff I got from my local DIY place is called "Irish Organic Weed Killer", no mention of Glyphosate, good thing I kept the receipt.

yip, but you wont need 5L unless you're planning on killing the local football field haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

jameshayes wrote: »
    yip, but you wont need 5L unless you're planning on killing the local football field haha

and you should be able to get a cheaper one-- rosate 36 is €35 for 5 litre

and you should be able to get a cheaper one-- rosate 36 is €35 for 5 litre

Thanks, I was looking for the cheapest weedkiller with Glyphosate :-) . Know anywhere I can get it ?, preferably a well known chain like woodies or a reputable online retailer ?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

i'm at the wrong side of the country to be any use to you - any co-op supply store should have it or Gallup though

Thanks, I was looking for the cheapest weedkiller with Glyphosate :-) . Know anywhere I can get it ?, preferably a well known chain like woodies or a reputable online retailer ?.

yeah, Woodies, Homebase, Atlantic Homecare or any hardware store would have it. You won't need 5L though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

I don't like the stuff but I don't imagine you'd need much for a garden that size.

My folks gave me some roundup, but its the gel your put on the leaves itself, is there any way of making this into the liquid you inject into the stems ?.

Advertisement