Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Ordinary Maths Papers

• 07-05-2014 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Does anybody know how much each topic will be worth on the ordinary maths papers and where they will come up?

For example, can you say for certain that trigonometry be a 75 mark question on paper 2, or that probability will be 25 marks on paper 1 etc?

If nobody knows, would anybody be able to give me a guideline on the most important things to study? Have the State Examinations Commission given any info on which topics will be worth most?

I need a B3 as an entry requirement for my 1st choice on the CAO.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71 ✭✭damoPL

I don't do OL Maths, but generally the trend is 6 questions worth 25 marks each (both papers) and then 2 or 3 long questions. The long questions are usually 75 if there are two of them, and 50 marks if there are three.
    I'd consider focusing on algebra as its a core mathematical skill as well as calculus, complex numbers and functions (subbing in for x/y/z, simultaneous equations and factorizing) are all bound to pop up somewhere in paper one. Financial maths is pretty easy so I'd have a brief look at that also.
    For paper two go over geometry of the line and circle as those come up nearly every year. Also trigonometry and co-ordinate geometry. It often happens that there will be two 75 markers on paper two, usually they consist of something along probability/ stats and trigonometry.
    This seems like a lot but some of those chapters, like circle and line, are very short and can be covered within 1 - 2 hours for both, some parts are intertwined. If you haven't done so, I recommend buying the EDCO papers as they have a checklist of questions and how often they've come up. Also head on over to mocks.ie as they have solutions to many of the questions along with videos.

Also familiarize yourself with the formula book and marking schemes, sometimes the easiest parts can be worth 15/25 marks, particularly if it is going to be a difficult exam.

Advertisement