Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Huge hike in bills

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 paul29163

This is an absolutely horrible situation, I have just switched over and am now getting second thoughts (although, just came from airtricity and they are not much better)

Has the metering problem been sorted? Are the bills accurate? I am an electrician and some good advice given on previous posts, though I am not near Mullingar, I do travel to Dublin on regular occasions and would be willing to take a detour.

My dad also lives alone and I do have to help out on niggly issues like this on occasions, but you living in Canada must make you feel helpless.

Paul.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 knowhow

Electric Ireland - I am going off the info my father has given me and he was the one taking the call, the rep on the phone had what he thought was an Indian accent, I guess it might not be outsourced then so it makes it better? They called asking him when he was paying his electricity bill that he had an outstanding balance. He tried to tell them the situation and they said that it was not their position to deal with issues other than payments. I am so frustrated by this whole experience. I understand the info you are giving me, but it feels like running into a brick wall. Data protection my eye, I have even put myself on the account so I could discuss the issue with you and I got told to buy a lagging jacket and a prompt email to say that now I am on the account I am also responsible for any outstanding balance owed and I am liable and it could affect my credit.
    We are exploring different options for sure, can't be much worse than this. We've always been ESB customers, I have a house in Ireland too. We have always paid by direct debit, my father had to change that when his bills hiked to 300 euros as he had to chose between eating and paying for electricity, I can post all the emails and people can see all the messages on here, but when it comes to it it's about the money and payments. I understand that to a certain extent but it is very difficult to hear your disabled father saying he has unplugged the fridge and is going to bed early so he doesn't use electricity or heat. I guess that is not ESB's concern so it's not my concern what they think of us changing providers. That's three members less, my mother, my father and me with three separate accounts and now my father's friends have also decided to switch. The account is paid off, I paid it from here, there is no outstanding balance.

Paul - I do feel helpless, so hard to think that he is so stressed and upset over an ESB bill. Not eating to pay an electricity bill is atrocious and I am so angry that now he has to deal with people calling asking for money. Thank you for your interest and help. At least I know I am not the only one who thinks this situation is horrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭EI: Aoife O

Hi knowhow,

I appreciate your concerns regarding your father, and if we can give you any information which would help him better understand his usage and relieve his worries in any way then we would be more than happy to do so. We would not intend for him to be put himself at risk in any way, and if we can alleviate his fear he has associated with this then we will certainly do so.

If a customer is engaging with us then we can set up weekly plans that accommodate their budget, which would avoid any calls and letters regarding outstanding balances. We can advise you of details of this as you are the account holder, please PM if you'd like us to advise you specifically about the account. Reminder letters/SMS/calls may occur if there is no recorded arrangement on the account, we can certainly put this in place for you so that he is not contacted about any outstanding debt.

We are willing to assist you in any way we can, including providing more information to your father to help ease his concerns regarding his usage, and also facilitating repayment of his bills so that an acceptable arrangement can be made and balances are not overdue which might lead to reminder notices.

Kind regards,
    Aoife

• Registered Users Posts: 22 knowhow

Hi knowhow,

I appreciate your concerns regarding your father, and if we can give you any information which would help him better understand his usage and relieve his worries in any way then we would be more than happy to do so. We would not intend for him to be put himself at risk in any way, and if we can alleviate his fear he has associated with this then we will certainly do so.

If a customer is engaging with us then we can set up weekly plans that accommodate their budget, which would avoid any calls and letters regarding outstanding balances. We can advise you of details of this as you are the account holder, please PM if you'd like us to advise you specifically about the account. Reminder letters/SMS/calls may occur if there is no recorded arrangement on the account, we can certainly put this in place for you so that he is not contacted about any outstanding debt.

We are willing to assist you in any way we can, including providing more information to your father to help ease his concerns regarding his usage, and also facilitating repayment of his bills so that an acceptable arrangement can be made and balances are not overdue which might lead to reminder notices.

Kind regards,
    Aoife
    I read the reply, I understand you are trying to help in your limited way. I went to you for help and was told that it was not a concern of Electric Ireland and that you only go off of meter readings provided. I was told that the account cannot be discussed with me so I put my name on it, I received info regarding writing down appliance usage and comparing it. I was told that you can send someone out to look but that if nothing could be detected it would cost my father 100 euro.  I am done trying to get help from Electric Ireland in this matter. My father has engaged on the phone, I have engaged through email and on here and not once was a solution or reasonable practical advice, related to the specific situation offered. The main concern has been payment. I will pay my father's electricity bill so he can buy luxuries such as food and heat. He does not need any reminders of payment, the balance has been paid and was paid before he got the call I might add. He talked in person with a rep and tried to tell them his situation and still received calls and no arrangement or alleviating of fears was ever offered.

As you can see I am so angry and upset. Electric Ireland will not have to call or deal with a disabled older man paying on time from his disability benefit for very much longer. Not that I think another company will be so much better but I refuse to keep giving business knowing the state my father is in over his ESB bill.

Advertisement