Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travelling with grandparent.

Options
  • 07-05-2014 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

First time poster so all help and advice will be very much appreciated.

My 11 year old son has been invited to holiday in Italy with some extended family for two weeks, we have already booked Lanzarote for two weeks but he really wants to go to Italy to meet up with his cousins. His grandmother will be bringing him over and back, I am not to sure what documentation is required if any except for his passport, does anybody know what is required or has had a similar experience, thanks for reading all help is welcome.

Elton.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

The only 3 airlines I can find that fly DUB to Italy (direct anyway) seem to be Aer Lingus, Ryanair and GermanWings

Aer Lingus say:
    Children under 12 years of age cannot travel unless accompanied by an adult aged 16 years or older, who will take responsibility for the child.

Ryanair say:
    Children under the age of 16 years must always be accompanied by a passenger over 16 years.

Germanwings say:
    Germanwings can only carry children under 12 years of age if they are accompanied by a responsible adult.

Germanwings helpfully also say on that page:
    Please note that for some countries special entry and exit provisions apply for children and young people travelling alone. We state unequivocally that it the responsibility of each passenger to ensure they comply with the national entry and exit provisions and we recommend they obtain information in good time before travelling from the appropriate national authorities and procure the necessary documents.

So I don't think there will be any extra paperwork as long as your child and his grandparent check in together/are on the same booking but to be safe just ring your airline and/or the Italian embassy (Tel +353-1-6601744), simples.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

eltoncol wrote: »
    First time poster so all help and advice will be very much appreciated.

My 11 year old son has been invited to holiday in Italy with some extended family for two weeks, we have already booked Lanzarote for two weeks but he really wants to go to Italy to meet up with his cousins. His grandmother will be bringing him over and back, I am not to sure what documentation is required if any except for his passport, does anybody know what is required or has had a similar experience, thanks for reading all help is welcome.

Elton.

For the "travelling", (as others point out) there is no real issue, as long as he is with an Adult.

You might find that you have to book the plane tickets for your son and his grandmother together, some airline web site will not allow you to book a ticket for a minor with out an adult ticket. I found this out recently, admittedly the airline in question (Cebu-Pacific) does not serve Italy.

But if "something" happens in Italy and your sons needs medical attention, your permission might be required for treatment, you might consider a letter granting the grandmother some power in this area.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

It would be as well to have a letter witnessed by your local Garda (if the Grandmother has a different surname to the child) stating that the grandmother has your permission to bring the child.

Advertisement