Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limited devices on wi-fi

Options
  • 07-05-2014 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have recently bought a new 300Mbps Wireless N USB ADSL2+ Modem Router (Model No. TD-W8968), my provides being Eircom.

A issue I now have is that only 3 devices (sometimes 4 max) can connect to the wi-fi. If, say, the laptop, ps3 and xbox are on-line, the wife cannnot connect her laptop to the network via wi-fi unless we turn off one of the devices.

I have had a quick look through the router menu and cannot find anything to increase the amount of devices allowed to be connected at the one time (with my very limited tech knowledge).

Any help/pointers greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

In Local Area Network (LAN) Setup at the bottom half of the page there is a section like this:

o Disable DHCP
    o Enable DHCP

Then there is 2 fields to set the range of addresses available. Although I highly doubt that they've configured it to provide only 2 addresses best to have a look here anyway.

The Start and End IP Addresses should be something like:

Start - 192.168.1.100
    End - 192.168.1.200

This allows for 100 possible devices to connect to the WiFi Access Point and Ethernet ports.

Set the lease time to 8 hours.

I doubt this will sort your problem unless someone has been acting the Mick in the settings or you've got no WiFi Key and all your neighbours are connected to your system consuming all available addresses.

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Plascebo

ZENER wrote: »
    In Local Area Network (LAN) Setup at the bottom half of the page there is a section like this:

o Disable DHCP
    o Enable DHCP

Then there is 2 fields to set the range of addresses available. Although I highly doubt that they've configured it to provide only 2 addresses best to have a look here anyway.

The Start and End IP Addresses should be something like:

Start - 192.168.1.100
    End - 192.168.1.200

This allows for 100 possible devices to connect to the WiFi Access Point and Ethernet ports.

Set the lease time to 8 hours.

I doubt this will sort your problem unless someone has been acting the Mick in the settings or you've got no WiFi Key and all your neighbours are connected to your system consuming all available addresses.

Ken

Thanks Ken, the only difference from above is the lease time is set to 1440 minutes.

Funny thing is I had the same issue with my old netopia router, but my last tp-link had no such issues, 7 odd devices logged-in at the same time (before it died a death).

Advertisement