Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guinea Pig breeds

Options
  • 07-05-2014 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭

Hi, does anyone know anywhere in Dublin (petshop/breeder) where you can get the more rare guinea pigs like Peruvian, Skinny pigs etc? I'm buying a pair of Abyssinian males soon from Maxi Zoo but hope to add to the herd in the future :] They're all great but I love the long haired guineas and hairless!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Yes if you are on Facebook you can join the Irish Guinea Pig & Rabbit Group. There are lots of reputable breeders on there with rare breeds.

I have Guinea Pigs. Wonderful little creatures especially when they hear the rustle a bag

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭street

Knine wrote: »
    Yes if you are on Facebook you can join the Irish Guinea Pig & Rabbit Group. There are lots of reputable breeders on there with rare breeds.

I have Guinea Pigs. Wonderful little creatures especially when they hear the rustle a bag

Thanks a million Knine, I'll check them out on Facebook. Skinny pigs look like miniature hippos lol :]

Knine could you give me the link to their Facebook page please, can't seem to find it. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

street wrote: »
    Hi, does anyone know anywhere in Dublin (petshop/breeder) where you can get the more rare guinea pigs like Peruvian, Skinny pigs etc? I'm buying a pair of Abyssinian males soon from Maxi Zoo but hope to add to the herd in the future :] They're all great but I love the long haired guineas and hairless!

Check Donedeal, there's some reputable breeders on there. Saw some long haired guinea pigs and a chinchilla one too I think- had kind of frizzy or crimped hair.

Magenta wrote: »
    Check Donedeal, there's some reputable breeders on there. Saw some long haired guinea pigs and a chinchilla one too I think- had kind of frizzy or crimped hair.

Will do, thanks Magenta :]

• Advertisement

Sorry for the delay.

Here is the link

https://www.facebook.com/groups/243930592370115/

Sorry for the delay.

Here is the link

https://www.facebook.com/groups/243930592370115/

Nice one, thanks for getting back to me Knine I appreciate the help :]
    May I ask what kind of guinea pigs you have?

I have Peruvians! My sister has smooth coat.

My 2 daughters adore them. Those little Guinea Pig Squeaks would melt the hardest heart!

I have Peruvians! My sister has smooth coat.

My 2 daughters adore them. Those little Guinea Pig Squeaks would melt the hardest heart!

Fantastic :] How are their personalities? I think (aesthetically) Peruvians and Abysinnians are my favourites. Love the Smooth Coats too and Skinnies. As I mentioned previously, I'm buying a pair of male Abyssinians (unneutered and from the same litter) from Maxi Zoo in Finglas.

Had a look around there and was impressed with the place from what I saw - condition of all the animals, cleanliness etc. Their range of guineas is Smooth Coat and Abyssinian (which they call "Fancy" lol). Hoping to add a young male Skinny Pig and Peruvian in with the Abyssininas once the Abbies are a bit older. I'm working on a C & C cage atm, have a 2 level 2x4 (15" grids) assembled just need to pick up the corrugated plastic and some fleece. Also gotta build some wooden hideaways and toys etc, then add the pigs! :]

street wrote: »
    Fantastic :] How are their personalities? I think (aesthetically) Peruvians and Abysinnians are my favourites. Love the Smooth Coats too and Skinnies. As I mentioned previously, I'm buying a pair of male Abyssinians (unneutered and from the same litter) from Maxi Zoo in Finglas.

Had a look around there and was impressed with the place from what I saw - condition of all the animals, cleanliness etc. Their range of guineas is Smooth Coat and Abyssinian (which they call "Fancy" lol). Hoping to add a young male Skinny Pig and Peruvian in with the Abyssininas once the Abbies are a bit older. I'm working on a C & C cage atm, have a 2 level 2x4 (15" grids) assembled just need to pick up the corrugated plastic and some fleece. Also gotta build some wooden hideaways and toys etc, then add the pigs! :]

Personality wise they seem much more outgoing then the other varieties. You can't walk up the stairs here without hearing the loud 'I'm starving to death whistles'

He also bounces so high with excitement he almost hits the top of his large cage.

I have an outdoor large run too but have to be so careful because I have terriers who have a very strong prey drive.

• Advertisement
Advertisement