Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC Games: "Bargain Alerts" - [NO CHAT]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

I could never get into it, even with joystick and headset.

Too many menus and places to travel too. Didn't know what to do or where to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Got the Paradox humble bundle as I'd never played any of them before, fired up Crusader Kings 2 last night and had absolutely no idea what I was doing. Turned it off 20 minutes later. Is there any games in that bundle that could give me a beginners "intro" to the games or a guide online even? I found a guide for CS2 on reddit but i'm just wondering if stellaris or europa would be a better starting point?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Got the Paradox humble bundle as I'd never played any of them before, fired up Crusader Kings 2 last night and had absolutely no idea what I was doing. Turned it off 20 minutes later. Is there any games in that bundle that could give me a beginners "intro" to the games or a guide online even? I found a guide for CS2 on reddit but i'm just wondering if stellaris or europa would be a better starting point?
    Stellaris is pretty straight forward...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,374 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I was going to say, Stellaris is much more approachable than CK2. I too found CK2 to be quite taxing to get used to (and I didn't in the end).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Taylor365 wrote: »
    I could never get into it, even with joystick and headset.

Too many menus and places to travel too. Didn't know what to do or where to go!
    I find the galaxy map horrible in the Rift and I'm still absolute crap at it and never completed a mission once lol, the immersion in VR is amazing though.
    I know if I played it on my monitor that I could really get into it, progress and use what I learn to progress in VR but I refuse to do it as it will be crap compared to VR lol

OT Season Pass is 12.49 at the moment and I have 1.49 euro from cards, tempting.

Also there's ment to be some mod to watch YouTube while in the cockpit, might be fun while travelling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Remouad

Xenji wrote: »

First Paradox and now this?
    I'm supposed to be clearing my backlog not adding to it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

sugarman wrote: »
    Incredibly didnt own a single one of them Steam :eek: ...I do now:cool:

Love a few older games the lappy can handle nicely.

I think it should be pretty much obligatory to at the least buy Max Payne, GTAIII & GTA Vice City (plus Manhunt, but no real interest there for me) for a total of €0.81c.

Billy86 wrote: »
    I think it should be pretty much obligatory to at the least buy Max Payne, GTAIII & GTA Vice City (plus Manhunt, but no real interest there for me) for a total of €0.81c.

Totally agree.

I still think that Vice City is the best in the series.

Graphics and game play are more cartoonish/saints row like than IV and V but the story and characters were brilliant.

Would love a remaster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Remouad wrote: »
    Totally agree.

I still think that Vice City is the best in the series.

Graphics and game play are more cartoonish/saints row like than IV and V but the story and characters were brilliant.

Would love a remaster.

I always preferred III because it shattered my concepts of what a game could do unlike maybe any other game I've ever played (I was 14/15 when it came out so couldn't have been better timed in that sense), San Andreas because of the vastness and the turf wars, and V because that just threw everything to a whole other level again. But in it's own way, VC is an absolute classic and would probably top a poll of 'favourite' version between the lot of them... to be fair though since III it's been maybe the most consistently quality games series out there (of the main ones at least) - even IV was a very good game in it's own right despite being the ugly stepsister of the lot.

I actually replayed VC & SA on my phone a few years back when they were about €1-2 each, and while they unquestionably show their age they've still held up very well all things considered from a storyline and general gameplay point of view.

Would have been kind of cool if they threw in the first two as part of the bundle for the sake of it, but I barely found those games playable 20+ years ago so it's hardly a big loss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Are there mods to make the controls a bit better? I played it on the PS4 a few weeks ago and it felt awkward to control.

Are there mods to make the controls a bit better? I played it on the PS4 a few weeks ago and it felt awkward to control.

It's part of the charm :D

I'm sure the controls can be mapped to whatever you like.

GTA is better played with KB&mouse overall( controller is fine for cruising ). I had GTAIV on PS3 and got to some mission on a motorbike having to shoot others chasing. It was impossible with a controller, I spent hours trying to pass it, gave up and waited until PC version came out and cleared it first time with KB&mouse.

GTA is better played with KB&mouse overall( controller is fine for cruising ). I had GTAIV on PS3 and got to some mission on a motorbike having to shoot others chasing. It was impossible with a controller, I spent hours trying to pass it, gave up and waited until PC version came out and cleared it first time with KB&mouse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Playing Vice City today from that bundle, a lot of hoops to jump through to even get it running. Had to use pinnacle game profiler to get anything playable going. Still not great at all. Better off getting it for PS2 if you have one, at least you can play it properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

None of the games in that bundle run well on pc. It's a terrible bundle apart from the name of the games. Makes it seem good value when it's actually a bunch of games which don't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Logic

RossieMan wrote: »
    None of the games in that bundle run well on pc. It's a terrible bundle apart from the name of the games. Makes it seem good value when it's actually a bunch of games which don't work.

I read a lot of comments saying the same that they have issues running on windows 10. That’s the main reason why I didn’t pull the trigger on the deal

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

lmimmfn wrote: »

You must not be used to playing with a controller. I played all GTA games since III with a controller and never had any issue.

You must not be used to playing with a controller. I played all GTA games since III with a controller and never had any issue.
    Nah been using a controller since the late 90's, i just prefer more control which i get with KB&m

• Registered Users Posts: 12,003 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Ck2 is great, but it is a you have to learn it to play it sort. It's best to work your way into it and not go for an England or France to start. Set small goals as you learn the game, like start as an Irish province and unite Ireland before England obliterate you, go Leon, Castilla or Aragon and unite Spain before the Moors come, one of the bigger Italian provinces aren't bad too and work your way in Italy and the Adriatic. In general, I think starting as Munster is the best start for a beginner. Powerful enough in Ireland to not lose straight away unless you get unlucky and England invade. Try take bits of Ireland at a time before English get a foothold, and then if you unite Ireland, start looking at Scotland to take over, and try ally with French for protection. You'll get smashed of course eventually but it'll help learn the game, and then move on to a bigger provence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Ah bummer,bought the R* bundle,nowhere does it say there may be compatibility issues.

Probably should have guessed myself

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

titan18 wrote: »
    Ck2 is great, but it is a you have to learn it to play it sort. It's best to work your way into it and not go for an England or France to start. Set small goals as you learn the game, like start as an Irish province and unite Ireland before England obliterate you, go Leon, Castilla or Aragon and unite Spain before the Moors come, one of the bigger Italian provinces aren't bad too and work your way in Italy and the Adriatic. In general, I think starting as Munster is the best start for a beginner. Powerful enough in Ireland to not lose straight away unless you get unlucky and England invade. Try take bits of Ireland at a time before English get a foothold, and then if you unite Ireland, start looking at Scotland to take over, and try ally with French for protection. You'll get smashed of course eventually but it'll help learn the game, and then move on to a bigger provence.

I started it up again there Sunday night. Played as Munster after reading a guide on reddit but theres just so much going on and so many menus. I've the tutorial on so i'm getting prompts as I go but its still completely baffling to me. So far I've sent a marriage request, appointed a guy to my council and a few other bits the guide suggested. I think its a game I'll need to put serious time into, glad I picked it up but i'm just a bit too busy for that kind of game at the moment. I fired up Assassins creed on the PS4 after it and jumped back in for a quick hour session. Think thats about all I can commit to at the moment. Thanks for the tips though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,003 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I started it up again there Sunday night. Played as Munster after reading a guide on reddit but theres just so much going on and so many menus. I've the tutorial on so i'm getting prompts as I go but its still completely baffling to me. So far I've sent a marriage request, appointed a guy to my council and a few other bits the guide suggested. I think its a game I'll need to put serious time into, glad I picked it up but i'm just a bit too busy for that kind of game at the moment. I fired up Assassins creed on the PS4 after it and jumped back in for a quick hour session. Think thats about all I can commit to at the moment. Thanks for the tips though.

Ya, it can be difficult to get into. I'd like it to Civilization, only Civ is the playschool version of CK2, which then is nothing compared to HOI 1 or Victoria. Takes a while to get into, but when you do, it rewards it in spades.

You end up doing challenges that get posted on CK2 forums when you get experienced and it's great. My personal favourite is restoring the Carolingian dynasty by starting in 1066 as Herbert Karling, Count of Vermandois. A tiny little county surrounded by much stronger duchies and empires and you've to restore the dynasty back to the height of Charlemagne's power.

Such a fun game.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

FFXII The Zodiac Age

Use code 'JUSTFORYOU' on Greenmangaming for 23% off

• Registered Users Posts: 9,023 ✭✭✭Doge

Dirt Rally is 10$ for 24 hours on here:

https://www.chrono.gg/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,750 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Doge wrote: »
    Dirt Rally is 10$ for 24 hours on here:

https://www.chrono.gg/

That's not locked to US or anything right?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,023 ✭✭✭Doge

mrcheez wrote: »
    That's not locked to US or anything right?

Its a steam key so should not be.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,435 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

this Mondays Indiegala bundle is for 8 Leisure Suit Larry games along with some other games for ~€4

https://www.indiegala.com/leisure-suite-larry-steam-bundle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Sciprio

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

King of Fighters 2002 is free too. The reviews on GoG aren't too kind towards this port though.

https://www.gog.com/game/the_king_of_fighters_2002?pp=d965a463ac183af4828302b14522bb3371cec49f

Advertisement