Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC Games: "Bargain Alerts" - [NO CHAT]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

I say sue them. I'll bring the popcorn.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Shiminay wrote: »
    That is not and never has been consumer law. A price on an item is an invitation to treat at that price, not agreement to enter into a contract to sell it at that price.

They took the money and the person received the goods so a contract is complete. It's different when they just put a hold on the funds on your card and have yet to dispatch. Someone could probably take them to the SCC but it really wouldn't be worth the time, effort and cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

While I agree, I dont think SCC has jurisdiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

I'm thinking there's probably something relating to distance selling and automated e-sales to protect the seller

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

J Mysterio wrote: »
    While I agree, I dont think SCC has jurisdiction.

There is the European Small Claims Court. I'm not 100% sure how it works (I imagine it's through the SCC but I'm just assuming). It would still be a waste of time given the application fee is more than the cost of the game.
    I'm thinking there's probably something relating to distance selling and automated e-sales to protect the seller

That applies once they haven't taken any money. Not sure how if it's different with digital goods.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Bad form from Gamersgate. When you make a mistake like that, you just suck it up. I'd be reluctant to buy from them now.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,512 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

The game was still working this morning. If it is still working this evening, that'll be a good sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭abbir

J Mysterio wrote: »
    How can they take it back off you? Is it not consumer law that they have to sell it at the displayed price? Wtf?

Displayed price is only an invitation to sell, they don't have to sell at that price. Also, even if they have accepted the order they can still cancel it if there is a price mistake.

However, that only applies if they haven't shipped the "goods", if they have charged you the money and they have delivered what you ordered, the contract is complete so legally they cannot take it back afterwards. But what companies always follow the law?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

They probably have a section on mispricing in their T&Cs too, which covers it.

mayordenis wrote: »
    They probably have a section on mispricing in their T&Cs too, which covers it.

Only matters if they have not taken your money and given you the goods

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

On Steam, Metro Redux €13.99 or so and Star Wars Battlefront II €2.99

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

COD:AW is 14.99 on G2play for the next 4 hours.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

It's a Steam Gift rather than a key, thought they were clamping down on such activities?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

It's a Steam Gift rather than a key, thought they were clamping down on such activities?

IIRC (I may be very well wrong here), it only affects trading games rather than gifting. I.E if you trade with someone a game that is in your inventory via Trading function rather than directly gifting it. These sites add you to their friends list and gift the game directly to you so this is probably why it is ok.

I bought a few games from Kinguin recently which were steam gifts and had no problems.

http://www.kinguin.net/transaction-services-agreement
    3.8 Steam Gifts. Kinguin.net is not responsible for any issues regarding selling and purchasing STEAM GIFTS from other vendors. There is a risk of being banned by STEAM for selling and/or purchasing STEAM GIFTS. Please remember you are doing it at your own risk!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

That wouldn't last 10 minutes in a court :)

I think the risk of Steam gifting is far, far lower than purchasing an actual key from these sellers. If it was the whole idea of steamgifts and other communities like it (e.g like the boards.ie one) would be completely at risk and would have already been shut down. The only true way that Steam could clamp down is to get rid of steam gifting completely.

As a guideline, I only ever buy from reputable sellers and where the product is worldwide region unlocked and/or where the Origin of the seller is within EU countries such as the UK or Germany.

That wouldn't last 10 minutes in a court :)

Who has the money to take on kinguin or steam though?

Who has the money to take on kinguin or steam though?

The EU itself for anti competition stuff and things?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,434 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

COD:AW is 14.99 on G2play for the next 4 hours.

couldn't figure out how to buy it so it must be gone

• Advertisement

Skerries wrote: »
    couldn't figure out how to buy it so it must be gone

If you check all the sellers for COD:AW (check All buyers under "buy now" button), you'll see that mainly the sellers for that price are Ukraine, which i'd avoid. There is a UK or German seller selling for about 50c more.

Also, worst case scenario is if you do buy a steam gift that was fraudulent (in no part of your own fault) is that you will lose the game from your account. You won't get banned. The account holder that gave you the game however, will.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=9958-MJDG-3003#fraud

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Bought COD AW for €15 off Kinguin tonight, got gift in about 2 mins.
    Bargain tbh, fun enough game,i prefer the likes of BF,CSGO,Insurgency but its a decent bit of harmless fun for a very low cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,512 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Mr E wrote: »
    The game was still working this morning. If it is still working this evening, that'll be a good sign.

Steam just revoked my code. Ah well, based on what I played, I think the first game was better.

Dcully wrote: »
    Bought COD AW for €15 off Kinguin tonight, got gift in about 2 mins.
    Bargain tbh, fun enough game,i prefer the likes of BF,CSGO,Insurgency but its a decent bit of harmless fun for a very low cost.

Couldn't say no for that price. Great value.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

Wow just checked out that kinguin site got lego hobbit for 5.69 its downloading now :)

Shadow of Mordor is 12.99 on g2play

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

^^ Just bought it there from kinguin for €13.60 with the buyer protection,also got a free key as a christmas gift. Turns out when the free key is entered into steam its Kane an Lynch 2 but there was a RU after the name which i presume means its a russian key. It activated the product seemingly ok though. Anybody else come across this?

EoinHef wrote: »
    ^^ Just bought it there from kinguin for €13.60 with the buyer protection,also got a free key as a christmas gift. Turns out when the free key is entered into steam its Kane an Lynch 2 but there was a RU after the name which i presume means its a russian key. It activated the product seemingly ok though. Anybody else come across this?

I got Kane and Lynch 2 also, haven't installed it yet though....Probably never will :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

I got Kane and Lynch 2 also, haven't installed it yet though....Probably never will :pac:

Yeah i watched a trailer to see if it was for me and it looks sh**e,played the first one and didnt think much of it either. It will be going onto the hidden list:) Weird it seems to be a russian key,i thought they wouldnt activate.

Cant wait to get stuck into shadow of mordor though!! Going to see the last Hobbit movie tonight so i reckon ill be in the mood to play it for a few hours after:p

Advertisement