Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC Games: "Bargain Alerts" - [NO CHAT]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,502 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Yeah, if you don't mind putting a big tower beside your TV. One of the main advantages of the steam link is its tiny footprint and subtlety.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,390 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Thanks for the tip Mr E! After yesterday's lack of success I popped into one of the Gamestops in Dublin today and they had one going for €27.50. Gave me a code for a free copy of Rocket League too, so it's a great deal for sure :)

I picked up a few games at cdkeys.com:

Call of Duty MW3 for €3.41.
    Borderlands 2 GOTY for €5.69
    Middle Earth Shadow of Mordor GOTY for €4.55

You can get a 5% off code on their Facebook page for each game.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Mr E wrote: »
    Yeah, if you don't mind putting a big tower beside your TV. One of the main advantages of the steam link is its tiny footprint and subtlety.
    Eh? Buy as long a cable as you need from Ebay for a few Euro and run it to the pc, thats what I do, I hate smart devices like this, they always irritate in some way, I want my own pc with all my associated accounts, tweaks, settings and everything else on the screen otherwise it will drive me mad.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Thargor wrote: »
    Eh? Buy as long a cable as you need from Ebay for a few Euro and run it to the pc, thats what I do, I hate smart devices like this, they always irritate in some way, I want my own pc with all my associated accounts, tweaks, settings and everything else on the screen otherwise it will drive me mad.

i hate ugly cables running all over the place, and i woudn't trust a few euro cable from ebay for any distance over a few feet. i'd take one of these very day.

nothing wrong with your approach, but your way would drive me mad. to each their own

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

mossym wrote: »
    i hate ugly cables running all over the place, and i woudn't trust a few euro cable from ebay for any distance over a few feet. i'd take one of these very day.

nothing wrong with your approach, but your way would drive me mad. to each their own

A cable is a cable at the end of the day, I've had to run a couple of hdmis and an ethernet all for about 10m, all using cheapest cables possible on amazon (no more than a few euro), all been fine for the last 2 years or so.

It does look crap though.

hots wrote: »
    A cable is a cable at the end of the day, I've had to run a couple of hdmis and an ethernet all for about 10m, all using cheapest cables possible on amazon (no more than a few euro), all been fine for the last 2 years or so.

It does look crap though.

having worked for several years for a company making hdmi IC's (rx and tx chips to go inside sources and displays), ive plenty of experience that says a cable isn't a cable at the end of the day, and that cheap ass chinese cables are an absolute lottery.

i've a couple of the amazon own brand cables running myself, no issue with them, but i'd rate them better than some of the muck i;ve see come from ebay.

also been around long enough to know that trying to convince people the cables are rubbish is pointless, so we'll have to agree to disagree.

running a cable to my garage would involve a run of 30/40m, which isn't going to work with HDMI. i can take one of these boxes, plug into my network, and voila. solved. i can add one of them in every room. it's a much easier and tidier solution than running a hdmi cable, and can be used in many situations where hdmi won't work.

apologies for going off topic, i'll leave it there

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

having worked for several years for a company making hdmi IC's (rx and tx chips to go inside sources and displays), ive plenty of experience that says a cable isn't a cable at the end of the day, and that cheap ass chinese cables are an absolute lottery.

i've a couple of the amazon own brand cables running myself, no issue with them, but i'd rate them better than some of the muck i;ve see come from ebay.

also been around long enough to know that trying to convince people the cables are rubbish is pointless, so we'll have to agree to disagree.

running a cable to my garage would involve a run of 30/40m, which isn't going to work with HDMI. i can take one of these boxes, plug into my network, and voila. solved. i can add one of them in every room. it's a much easier and tidier solution than running a hdmi cable, and can be used in many situations where hdmi won't work.

apologies for going off topic, i'll leave it there

That's fair enough, I was deeming my Amazon ones as budget (as opposed to stupid 30 quid diamond/gold/sapphire ones).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

OSI wrote: »
    My PC is in an office a good distance away from the sitting room, so the Steam Link comes in very handy for that.

Ethernet cables are the one cable I wouldn't cheap out on though.

I agree, I got a really cheap ethernet cable on ebay and my router wouldn't sync with it, which worked fine on the old cable I had. Wasn't even worth the postage cost to return for refund lol.

Some cables are stupidly expensive though.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Thanks for the tip Mr E! After yesterday's lack of success I popped into one of the Gamestops in Dublin today and they had one going for €27.50. Gave me a code for a free copy of Rocket League too, so it's a great deal for sure :)

This still going? Cant say no at that price.

• Advertisement

Should be. Call your local gamestop and see if they have any. I was in Gamestop in the Parkway in Limerick and they a clearance table but no steam links, so stock may vary from shop to shop.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,390 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

ED E wrote: »
    This still going? Cant say no at that price.

As of lunchtime yesterday, yes! It was the GS in St Stephen's Green shopping centre, incidentally, in case that might make any difference (I'm not sure if the others are '+', and I don't care about their corporate branding anyway :p)

Mr E wrote:
    Should be. Call your local gamestop and see if they have any. I was in Gamestop in the Parkway in Limerick and they a clearance table but no steam links, so stock may vary from shop to shop.

I went into one yesterday and was told that the price was dropped for a day, but once store managers saw that they were selling the price was put up to €55.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭Glebee

I went into one yesterday and was told that the price was dropped for a day, but once store managers saw that they were selling the price was put up to €55.

And now they will stop selling again:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Justwinginit

Have a few hours to spare? Why not pick up the Mass Effect Trilogy for less than a tenner....https://www.g2play.net/category/472/mass-effect-trilogy-origin-key/

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Justwinginit

Like ARPG's? you can play single player or like me, I played this with 2/3 others and it's a great game. Fairly big, good graphics & gameplay. For less than €2.50 each it's well worth a punt.....https://www.g2play.net/category/14654/victor-vran-steam-key/

17 Command & Conquer games for €5.99 (Origin).

http://www.cdkeys.com/pc/games/command-and-conquer-the-ultimate-edition-pc-download-code-cd-key-origin

Command & Conquer
    Command & Conquer The Covert Operations
    Command & Conquer Red Alert
    Command & Conquer Red Alert Counterstrike
    Command & Conquer Red Alert The Aftermath
    Command & Conquer Tiberian Sun
    Command & Conquer Tiberian Sun Firestorm
    Command & Conquer Red Alert 2
    Command & Conquer Red Alert Yuri’s Revenge
    Command & Conquer Renegade
    Command & Conquer Generals
    Command & Conquer Generals Zero Hour
    Command & Conquer 3 Tiberium Wars
    Command & Conquer 3 Kane’s Wrath
    Command & Conquer Red Alert 3
    Command & Conquer Red Alert 3 Uprising
    Command & Conquer 4 Tiberian Twilight

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I had trouble getting RA2 to run in win 10 before...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Humble Survive This Bundle

Tier 1: Tharsis, Savage Lands, and Kholat
    Tier 2: Space Engineers, Rust, and Shelter 2
    Tier 3: Planetbase

Better than the recent monthly.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Holy crap, rust and space engineers for less then 4 quid!!! That's a bargain of the year!

• Advertisement

For Tharsis and Planetbase, I'm super happy, everything else is gravy. :D

This is seriously better than the recent monthly bundle.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

The cable is perfect, like 99.99% of cables for sale these days, and its hidden, I didn't say sellotape it to the wall or anything, theres always ways to hide cables.

Theres no way in hell a steam link is smoother, faster or higher quality than a HDMI from source.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,723 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Links234 wrote: »

Tier 1 for me thank you very much :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Techniques07

Is Planetbase worth the extra €9?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Tier 2 myself, on to rust and cause havoc. * Most probably dying every 5 seconds.

It's meant to be like Banished in space, which kinda had me sold on it from day 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭dunworth1

watching the video is looks interesting

its gets good reviews on steam (where its €20 atm)

Thargor wrote: »
    The cable is perfect, like 99.99% of cables for sale these days, and its hidden, I didn't say sellotape it to the wall or anything, theres always ways to hide cables.

Theres no way in hell a steam link is smoother, faster or higher quality than a HDMI from source.

no-one said there was. but there is loads of situations where a hdmi cable won't work, and these make a lot more sense

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Links234 wrote: »

I am sorry, I already posted my opinion about this, but I looked at this again and it just mind blowing awesome deal for any pc gamer.

It has freaking space engineers for less then a fiver! I have that game from very very early access and I just looked at its state now and it is just Jaw droping. I havent played the whole planet and in planet atmosphere gameplay, but my friends had server going on for it a while ago and they said it is just simply amazing.

I will give a bit unfair point of view of Rust, but that game gave me some of the most amazing gaming moments of my entire gaming career. Me and a few boardsies had some epic sessions in that game. There were days were we would play for 14 hours, go to sleep, have shower, breakfast and go back on to the damn game again!
    To be fair, I did not played much of modern Rust, but by the looks of it its even better then it ever was when we played it.

So TL:DR: JUST BUY THAT BUNDLE!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

€12, price of two decent pints, I'm in.

Advertisement