Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeating what you hear!

Options
  • 07-05-2014 7:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭

Be aware that in UK and Ireland it's a criminal offence to communicate the contents of ANYTHING you intercept on the Radio that isn't a Public Broadcast.

Ham/Amateur transmissions, Legal CB, Community Radio (top of CB band) and Coastguard weather etc all count as "Public" in Ireland. UK is stricter, as there it's an offence to communicate what you hear on PMR446 or on Air Traffic Control or Marine Radio!

In the UK it may be illegal even just to listen to certain transmissions. Here in Ireland the main issue is that you do not "Act upon" or communicate to other parties any non-public broadcast. Some countries it's illegal to even have equipment that receives certain frequencies (USA, used to be true in Switzerland, not sure today).

So this person would have been breaking law in UK, Ireland and most European Countries.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057203673

So enjoy DX, Scanning and Radio Listening safely. Especially if going on holiday to places like Egypt, Turkey, Russia, China, USA etc. The TSA etc in USA are keen to brand anything as Terrorism.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭sensormatic

what about those that are currently feeding Dublin airport to liveatc?
    Just interested

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Dublin is not UK :) . I implied the rules here are less strict on ATC. In UK that would get you in trouble.

still i better check with comreg to be sure thanks for the heads up on that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

watty wrote: »
    Be aware that in UK and Ireland it's a criminal offence to communicate the contents of ANYTHING you intercept on the Radio that isn't a Public Broadcast.

Ham/Amateur transmissions, Legal CB, Community Radio (top of CB band) and Coastguard weather etc all count as "Public" in Ireland. UK is stricter, as there it's an offence to communicate what you hear on PMR446 or on Air Traffic Control or Marine Radio!

In the UK it may be illegal even just to listen to certain transmissions. Here in Ireland the main issue is that you do not "Act upon" or communicate to other parties any non-public broadcast. Some countries it's illegal to even have equipment that receives certain frequencies (USA, used to be true in Switzerland, not sure today).

So this person would have been breaking law in UK, Ireland and most European Countries.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057203673

So enjoy DX, Scanning and Radio Listening safely. Especially if going on holiday to places like Egypt, Turkey, Russia, China, USA etc. The TSA etc in USA are keen to brand anything as Terrorism.

If they are worried about folk listening in and repeating to others the information they heard, then why don't they scramble their frequencies ?.

Seriously, if their air-wave communication is completely open, then they are at fault regarding communication security. Scramble the output frequencies and problem solved. Then if they get an intrusion they can forward it as a criminal offence. Jezz, even my two walkies have scramble function.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

Bongalongherb, that's where tetra comes in. Governments across the globe have difficult time catching up on latest technology and implement laws/infrastructure to support it, it's way easier/cheaper to come up with a general legislation that forbids things.

As for the British fears of ATC broadcast, I have no explanation for that, it's pure idiocy. I know there are some flight schools in Europe that offer local atc feeds in their websites so PPL students can listen and get used to the local ATC lingo. It's the same as in ham radio - you have to do a lot of listening and learning before going on air. Britain is taking away this opportunity to learn from it's young pilots

• Advertisement

martinsvi wrote: »
    Bongalongherb, that's where tetra comes in. Governments across the globe have difficult time catching up on latest technology and implement laws/infrastructure to support it, it's way easier/cheaper to come up with a general legislation that forbids things.

As for the British fears of ATC broadcast, I have no explanation for that, it's pure idiocy. I know there are some flight schools in Europe that offer local atc feeds in their websites so PPL students can listen and get used to the local ATC lingo. It's the same as in ham radio - you have to do a lot of listening and learning before going on air. Britain is taking away this opportunity to learn from it's young pilots

That's not good, Things are supposed to go forward, not backward.

<snip>

saying that tetra is cracked is a bit of overstatement, given that it's modulation technical details are publicly available and have never been kept secret. Also the code that osmocom have written can decode the modulation, but that doesn't mean you get audio out of it. What you get is a binary stream which is pretty useless unless you know how to convert it into audio

It's hard for me to imagine a use-case where an organization would afford to buy tetras but couldn't afford encryption. That's like buying a Ferrari and then realizing you don't have any money for the gas

martinsvi wrote: »
    saying that tetra is cracked is a bit of overstatement, given that it's modulation technical details are publicly available and have never been kept secret. Also the code that osmocom have written can decode the modulation, but that doesn't mean you get audio out of it. What you get is a binary stream which is pretty useless unless you know how to convert it into audio

It's hard for me to imagine a use-case where an organization would afford to buy tetras but couldn't afford encryption. That's like buying a Ferrari and then realizing you don't have any money for the gas

I agree. but I thought it was capable of audio recieve signals. Not from the web-page on my previous comment, but I am positive I read that it could receive digital audio frequencies.

I agree. but I thought it was capable of audio recieve signals. Not from the web-page on my previous comment, but I am positive I read that it could receive digital audio frequencies.

this is from their FAQ -

Can your software actually play the voice signal?

Currently we have no support for that. However, a yet unreleased proof-of-concept version exists.

not sure how good their proof of concept is, but I suppose it still needs a lot of work, if it's unreleased. I'm sure they will get there eventually

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3 salthilldave

Cant wait to get my hands on one of those new scanners .

cant come soon eneough for me , im missing out big time on stories direct from the scences of accidents and tragedys that I was able sell on to the various media interests .

Proved very lucrtive for me in the past . cash in the hand , no questions asked .

• Advertisement

cant come soon eneough for me , im missing out big time on stories direct from the scences of accidents and tragedys that I was able sell on to the various media interests .

Proved very lucrtive for me in the past . cash in the hand , no questions asked .

I understand you're a troll. As most lame trolls you will probably check back on this topic as you have nothing better to do. This next thought is not for you so don't bother creating another account just to spread your dumb fantasies.

There will not be any scanners available for tetra as any such device beats the purpose of it in the first place. Technology is guarded by patents and any company except Intel/Motorola making devices to overcome any type of Tetra protection will be heavily penalized. If anyone offers you to buy a "tetra scanner" it's a scam, walk away. If you see people selling the same Motorola devices used by gardai (model numbers are publicly available and I've seen some on sale on ebay), don't buy them as without sim it's as good as your phone without one.

And yes, I have seen some of the later Uniden scanner videos in youtube where people claim digital trunktracker technology is allowing them to listen to police radio. What they're listening to is not Tetra

way off topic lads can someone lock it up or is a strike on

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The Garda can get your address via info from Boards and your ISP or Mobile Provider.

You are admitting in public you previously deliberately broke Irish Criminal law. UK is stricter.
    In some countries you could face 10 years in jail.
    It's on the same moral level too as Phone Voice Mail "Hacking" for the Murdoch papers etc.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Sigh..... closing thread.

Tetra discussion is not allowed on here, period. Call it daft, call it whatever you want - but anything that puts Boards at risk of legal action is not allowed to be discussed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement