Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips for enjoying your Canadian experience!

Options
  • 07-05-2014 7:15pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I think it would be great if those of you already in, or returned from, Canada could offer advice to those coming in the future about how to best enjoy your time in Canada. There's a lot of negativity in the forum from people who were expecting the Holy Grail and instead got just another country so I'd love some positivity.

Feel free to repost from other threads, because I know there's some great advice floating around but it's spread across lots of threads :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Phoenix wrote: »
    Should we sticky this?as this has potential to be a great thread

Let's see how much interest it generates first :). If it becomes a good resource, we'll stick it.

(I hate stickied threads. I'm convinced stickying a thread makes it invisible to half the posters :D)

• Site Banned Posts: 63 ✭✭Maid of the Mist

I spent a year in Canada in 2010 back when the IEC visas were only a year long. I landed in Toronto and did the whole party thing in the hostel for a week. Had a fantastic time drinking with different nationalities (Irish, German, Australian, Brazilian) and doing all the touristy things the city had to offer. I even scored a couple of exotic beauties ;) But I noticed a serious dent in my savings even after that one week. Because I didn't have a house at that point, I was eating out all the time. I decided I didn't want to end up like some of the other "permanent residents" in the hostel, so I hopped on a Greyhound bus out of Toronto and travelled to Kingston - a medium sized city in Ontario just under 3 hours from Toronto.

I landed an accounting job within a week. Pretty much what I was doing in Ireland. I found a house share with Canadians on craigslist that same week and we shared a car too which was great for weekend road trips. The roads are wider, straighter and in better condition than in Ireland which makes driving a breeze. Plus they drive automatics of course. Overall I enjoyed my year abroad and I have fond memories that I'll treasure forever. I didn't come back to Ireland rich but I never expected to. To sum up my advice to others starting out:

Avoid Toronto and Vancouver. Your wages will disappear on rent and you're less likely to own a car in the city which restricts you for weekend travels.

Get a car if you can. Obviously not everyone's budget can stretch to a buy a car but if you can get a house share with others that own one you're laughing.

Make Canadian friends. You'll be more of a novelty in the smaller cities and towns and you'll find that Canadians will be interested in you. A lot of people say Canadians are bland and boring which I can kind of understand. They are extremely polite so the whole "slagging" bonding thing we do doesn't work and they don't curse in every single sentence like the Irish.

Eat like a Canadian. There used to be a small store in Toronto that sold Irish goodies like Tayto and Club Orange and the Irish would swarm into it to pay $5 for some Barry's Tea. I find that pathetic. The bread and dairy here is rubbish. Forget about eating meat every day - it's too expensive. Tailor your diets to what's on offer in the supermarkets.

There aren't really Spar/Centra style shops on every corner here. I found 7/11 stores to be rubbish and overpriced. Shoppers Drug Mart is probably the closest thing they have to the Irish corner shop but it's more of a pharmacy that also sells food.

I'm rambling on now so any specific questions just ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭ManofStraw

I spent a year in Canada in 2010 back when the IEC visas were only a year long. I landed in Toronto and did the whole party thing in the hostel for a week. Had a fantastic time drinking with different nationalities (Irish, German, Australian, Brazilian) and doing all the touristy things the city had to offer. I even scored a couple of exotic beauties ;) But I noticed a serious dent in my savings even after that one week. Because I didn't have a house at that point, I was eating out all the time. I decided I didn't want to end up like some of the other "permanent residents" in the hostel, so I hopped on a Greyhound bus out of Toronto and travelled to Kingston - a medium sized city in Ontario just under 3 hours from Toronto.

I landed an accounting job within a week. Pretty much what I was doing in Ireland. I found a house share with Canadians on craigslist that same week and we shared a car too which was great for weekend road trips. The roads are wider, straighter and in better condition than in Ireland which makes driving a breeze. Plus they drive automatics of course. Overall I enjoyed my year abroad and I have fond memories that I'll treasure forever. I didn't come back to Ireland rich but I never expected to. To sum up my advice to others starting out:

Avoid Toronto and Vancouver. Your wages will disappear on rent and you're less likely to own a car in the city which restricts you for weekend travels.

Get a car if you can. Obviously not everyone's budget can stretch to a buy a car but if you can get a house share with others that own one you're laughing.

Make Canadian friends. You'll be more of a novelty in the smaller cities and towns and you'll find that Canadians will be interested in you. A lot of people say Canadians are bland and boring which I can kind of understand. They are extremely polite so the whole "slagging" bonding thing we do doesn't work and they don't curse in every single sentence like the Irish.

Eat like a Canadian. There used to be a small store in Toronto that sold Irish goodies like Tayto and Club Orange and the Irish would swarm into it to pay $5 for some Barry's Tea. I find that pathetic. The bread and dairy here is rubbish. Forget about eating meat every day - it's too expensive. Tailor your diets to what's on offer in the supermarkets.

There aren't really Spar/Centra style shops on every corner here. I found 7/11 stores to be rubbish and overpriced. Shoppers Drug Mart is probably the closest thing they have to the Irish corner shop but it's more of a pharmacy that also sells food.

I'm rambling on now so any specific questions just ask.

+1 to pretty much everything, great post. Other advice I would have:
    • Bring a power bar for all your electronics, its a lifesaver
    • If your planning/able to stay more than the 2 year visa, get a credit card and start to build some credit in the country
    • Places like Costco/Walmart are good for cheap meat otherwise you cant afford it
    • Tax free days also a good time to stock up on items
    • Car share programs are also a good idea if you dont want to lease a car
    • Trying a new sport/taking classes in something is a good way of making some Canadian friends
    • Try to embrace the winters, otherwise you will end up complaining a lot
    • Try not to go on the beer for more than your first week over
    • Dont sign up for an expensive mobile plan straight away, use pay as you go until you have some people over here to call
    • A little forward planning for winter, buying boots,coat, gloves ect is often half off before Sept
    • The Chicken is generally crap and full of water, try using other meats
    • Dairy at supermarkets is poor, but its better if you get it at a farmers market. Farmers markets are actually quite good for veg too.

That's a good list @Manofstraw.
    ManofStraw wrote: »
    Try to embrace the winters, otherwise you will end up complaining a lot

Regarding the point above: I find once you wrap up properly, you won't be as miserable during the Winter. It isn't the damp cold that penetrates your bones that we have in Ireland. In Canada, it's a crisp "clean" cold. Wear a hat, scarf, mittens and good thick socks and you should survive!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭el diablo

That's a good list @Manofstraw.

Regarding the point above: I find once you wrap up properly, you won't be as miserable during the Winter. It isn't the damp cold that penetrates your bones that we have in Ireland. In Canada, it's a crisp "clean" cold. Wear a hat, scarf, mittens and good thick socks and you should survive!

A clean crisp cold? That's a nice way of putting it. :P

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Shalamov

I arrived in Vancouver eight months ago and there's nowhere I'd rather be. All the Irish I know here feel the same way.

I'd think twice before posting this kind of sweeping generalisation that people who haven't emigrated yet and don't know better might be influenced by.

Shalamov wrote: »
    I arrived in Vancouver eight months ago and there's nowhere I'd rather be. All the Irish I know here feel the same way.

I'd think twice before posting this kind of sweeping generalisation that people who haven't emigrated yet and don't know better might be influenced by.

I wouldn't call going on a 2 year working holiday to Canada "emigrating" but let's not get caught up in semantics. The fact that you know so many other Irish in Vancouver highlights my point that all the Paddies head for there and Toronto while ignoring the rest of the vast country.

A common complaint from the Irish in Canada is "nobody told me it's so expensive! Nobody told me it's so difficult to get a good apartment at reasonable rent! Nobody told me it would take so long to find a job!" You can't seriously argue that living in Vancouver is cheaper than, say, Calgary. As someone who has done it all before, I'm giving readers tips on how to make the most of their Canadian experience. I had a ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Agro Head

I wouldn't call going on a 2 year working holiday to Canada "emigrating" but let's not get caught up in semantics. The fact that you know so many other Irish in Vancouver highlights my point that all the Paddies head for there and Toronto while ignoring the rest of the vast country.

A common complaint from the Irish in Canada is "nobody told me it's so expensive! Nobody told me it's so difficult to get a good apartment at reasonable rent! Nobody told me it would take so long to find a job!" You can't seriously argue that living in Vancouver is cheaper than, say, Calgary. As someone who has done it all before, I'm giving readers tips on how to make the most of their Canadian experience. I had a ball.

I'm in Toronto the last year and a half. Love the place. Beach in the summer, skiing in the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Shalamov

I wouldn't call going on a 2 year working holiday to Canada "emigrating" but let's not get caught up in semantics.

Your experience is not everyone's experience. There are plenty of people leaving Ireland for good.
    You can't seriously argue that living in Vancouver is cheaper than, say, Calgary. As someone who has done it all before, I'm giving readers tips on how to make the most of their Canadian experience. I had a ball.

I'm not arguing that point at all. My point is that saying flat out to "avoid Toronto and Vancouver" is a short-sighted, unrealistic and unhelpful comment. Yes, the major cities are expensive and it takes a while to find a job. But avoid them because of that? Come on.

• Advertisement

Shalamov wrote: »
    Your experience is not everyone's experience. There are plenty of people leaving Ireland for good.

I'm not arguing that point at all. My point is that saying flat out to "avoid Toronto and Vancouver" is a short-sighted, unrealistic and unhelpful comment. Yes, the major cities are expensive and it takes a while to find a job. But avoid them because of that? Come on.

I agree, constantly see people saying avoid Toronto and Vancouver. It's such nonsense. Toronto is a financial hub, construction is booming and IT workers are in demand among other professions. Tons of work here for people. It takes a while to get sorted but you will get sorted.

There's the beach in the summer, great restaurants, loads of live music, theatre, 3 major sports teams (4 if you include TFC), cracking weather in the summer, skiing in the winter. So much to do here. It's exactly what I'm looking for in terms of a place to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Agro Head wrote: »
    I agree, constantly see people saying avoid Toronto and Vancouver. It's such nonsense. Toronto is a financial hub, construction is booming and IT workers are in demand among other professions. Tons of work here for people. It takes a while to get sorted but you will get sorted.

There's the beach in the summer, great restaurants, loads of live music, theatre, 3 major sports teams (4 if you include TFC), cracking weather in the summer, skiing in the winter. So much to do here. It's exactly what I'm looking for in terms of a place to live.

I want the options of going to hockey (its expensive though) baseball, being able to head down to the states for weekends, comedy clubs, bar life etc. Not that I'll be going out every night or anything I like my peace and quiet too but having the options is what I want.

krudler wrote: »
    I want the options of going to hockey (its expensive though) baseball, being able to head down to the states for weekends, comedy clubs, bar life etc. Not that I'll be going out every night or anything I like my peace and quiet too but having the options is what I want.

Yuk Yuk's comedy club is class. Been there a good few times now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

I moved to Vancouver a year ago. I luckily have dual citizenship, which for obvious reasons is beneficial.
    Not an unfair point, but Vancouver is a great city in which to live (I'm not a big fan of Toronto...), and while your dollar might go further in smaller cities/towns, there's a reason that Vancouver is full of people from Alberta, Ontario and other areas of British Columbia.
    I've found good deals on apartment shares so far in East Van and (given where I'm living and that I'm not going to get a car for weekend trips alone) a car is completely unnecessary in Vancouver. I mean I'm sure it's nice to have one and all, but I'm surprised at how many people drive in the city, given how small it is and how good the transit system is. Also, a lot of people seem to get in on Zipcar etc., which might be a more attractive option than buying.
    Totally depends on who you meet, in my experience. There are plenty of vulgar Canadians :P and as far as being Irish goes, and swearing as part of the natural cadence of the Irish tongue, most take no notice, or maybe even find it charming in a weird way. You'll certainly be a novelty of some kind, even in the cities, but it's been pretty much all beneficial for me.
    No argument there. Change your eating habits and adapt, or be broke! Forget about a decent block of cheddar for nothin'!
    ManofStraw wrote: »
    • Bring a power bar for all your electronics, its a lifesaver
    • If your planning/able to stay more than the 2 year visa, get a credit card and start to build some credit in the country
    • Places like Costco/Walmart are good for cheap meat otherwise you cant afford it
    • Tax free days also a good time to stock up on items
    • Car share programs are also a good idea if you dont want to lease a car
    • Trying a new sport/taking classes in something is a good way of making some Canadian friends
    • Try to embrace the winters, otherwise you will end up complaining a lot
    • Try not to go on the beer for more than your first week over
    • Dont sign up for an expensive mobile plan straight away, use pay as you go until you have some people over here to call
    • A little forward planning for winter, buying boots,coat, gloves ect is often half off before Sept
    • The Chicken is generally crap and full of water, try using other meats
    • Dairy at supermarkets is poor, but its better if you get it at a farmers market. Farmers markets are actually quite good for veg too.
    All great, and as for winter (or even outside of winter), if you're in Vancouver be comfortable with rain. Fewer grey days here than Ireland, but more rain.

As for building a credit rating, protip! Go to Long & McQuade Musical Instruments (there'll be one pretty much wherever you are in Canada) and finance something, even if you're not a musician. They'll approve pretty much anyone, and the payment schedules are so flexible that your credit bureau report will look great even if you miss/are late with a payment here and there. Some staff at banks will actually recommend this too.
    Source: I work there, in the credit department!

You're not without a point here, but come on. Some people want to live in a large, great city. I'd rather be in New York City than Albany, I'd rather be in Vienna than Salzburg, I'd rather be in Berlin than Frankfurt. And so on.
    I would think, especially if you're here for a short time, go somewhere where you'd like to be. Don't be scared of Vancouver, Toronto & Montreal. As mentioned in the OP, there's plenty of negative things being said, which is really to counterbalance the fantasy that most people have before moving, but basically, just don't be an idiot and you'll be fine in the cities. I certainly don't have an extravagant lifestyle in Vancouver, but I'm also not yearning for one, and I'm having a great time regardless.

Advertisement