Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Toronto Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭MarkJD

Thanks.. Well i just found out that im actually going to be based in Calgary.. Interesting havnt even looking into it at all but not too worried. Will go over and annoy the people on that thread. Thanks for everyons info anyway.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

question about banks, what do I need to open an account? I dont have my SIN number yet as I havent sorted a place to live just in temp accomodation so far, can I still get one or do I need a permanent address?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 pyrosever

krudler wrote: »
    question about banks, what do I need to open an account? I dont have my SIN number yet as I havent sorted a place to live just in temp accomodation so far, can I still get one or do I need a permanent address?

You need a SIN to open a bank account. You can get your SIN while living in temporary accommodation, that isn't a problem. I just gave them the address of the hostel I was staying at. They don't issue SIN cards anymore, just print off a page with your number on it, so you don't have to worry about them posting things to the wrong place.

pyrosever wrote: »
    You need a SIN to open a bank account. You can get your SIN while living in temporary accommodation, that isn't a problem. I just gave them the address of the hostel I was staying at. They don't issue SIN cards anymore, just print off a page with your number on it, so you don't have to worry about them posting things to the wrong place.

sweet thank you, does it take long to get?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 pyrosever

sweet thank you, does it take long to get?

For me, it took about an hour of queuing to get the SIN, it was pretty easy. I've heard that If you go early in the morning the queue is shorter. They just give you a short form to fill out while you wait, then they print out your details, and you're good to go. Then I went across the street to the bank and got an account straight away, so it was under 2 hours for both tasks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭nicolo

Hey sorry, possibly a dumb question but where do you go to get the sin number?

nicolo wrote: »
    Hey sorry, possibly a dumb question but where do you go to get the sin number?

I went to city hall, it's on queen st west you cant miss it:

bldg_3631.jpg

When you go in the front door it's just to the left, there's a queue for SIN and some other stuff. I just told the girl at the desk I wanted to apply for one, she gave me a small form to fill out. (its just basic stuff name, parents names, email, address etc I just put my hotel address on it they said that was fine) they give you a ticket to see another person and they issue you the number, bring your passport and work permit with you they need those.
    It took all of 5 mins to get it tbh. they dont give you a card anymore just the number on a sheet of paper.

There's a TD bank right across the street from there, I went in and told em my situation and wanted an account, there's one with a free tablet or one with free banking for 6 months, I went with the free banking one. Just a heads up, if you use a non TD atm to take out money it can cost $3 per transaction but there's TD atms scattered everywhere.

So today I sorted out a mobile sim (went with Koodo) my SIN and a bank account, phew. Now to find a place to live!

to second what others have said as well, TD bank has amazing customer service, and it opens until 8pm on thursdays and fridays, 8pm! banks in ireland barely deal with you face to face anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭nicolo

Thanks man! fantastic information:) I'm actually ****ting myself about finding a place. Was on the Irish and New in Toronto facebook page and people are saying it took them 3 months to find a place :/

nicolo wrote: »
    Thanks man! fantastic information:) I'm actually ****ting myself about finding a place. Was on the Irish and New in Toronto facebook page and people are saying it took them 3 months to find a place :/

Yeah I have two places to see tomorrow and hopefully one of them is ok, I'm in a hotel until monday then will have to find a hostel or cheap bnb or something.

I've been walking around a lot but gonna try get used to the subway and tram system over the weekend, walking is grand for getting used to the street names and that but my poor feet won't hold up to this :pac:

For mobiles get thee to the Eaton Centre, there's a bunch of kiosks and shops in there for virgin, fido, rogers, koodo etc. I went with koodo, 15 bucks a month for free text and then you can add data for extra.

One thing that bugs the crap out of me is how tax isnt included in anything. just put in the price like Europe does!

Hey folks. Just booked our flights will be arriving in Toronto on the 29th of July. Sorry to have another annoying post about accomodation / where to go etc but Looking for some specific help / advice. Toronto is not our end location as we will be flying on to Calgary around the 14th of August. I need to spend 2 weeks with work first in Toronto. I need to find some short term and cheap accomodation in the North York area that is close enough to work (Will have a rental car) but also has good public transport options as the wife will be be staying at the accom and bored during the day so she can get out and about and see Toronto. I have created a quick image of where work is based on the map and the possible surrounding area of where might be good.

miC364y.jpg

Airbnb seems to only have places down town which would be too much of a journey for me each day as i hear traffic can be horrendous. Welcome any other sites / suggestions to check out accom options in these areas.

Also wanted to ask about some details on the SIN process. What iv read you just arrive, fill out some paperwork and get it done in about 10 mins. Is there any issue with us getting our SINs in Toronto but then living in Calgary? Thanks again for the help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Agro Head

MarkJD wrote: »
    Hey folks. Just booked our flights will be arriving in Toronto on the 29th of July. Sorry to have another annoying post about accomodation / where to go etc but Looking for some specific help / advice. Toronto is not our end location as we will be flying on to Calgary around the 14th of August. I need to spend 2 weeks with work first in Toronto. I need to find some short term and cheap accomodation in the North York area that is close enough to work (Will have a rental car) but also has good public transport options as the wife will be be staying at the accom and bored during the day so she can get out and about and see Toronto. I have created a quick image of where work is based on the map and the possible surrounding area of where might be good.

miC364y.jpg

Airbnb seems to only have places down town which would be too much of a journey for me each day as i hear traffic can be horrendous. Welcome any other sites / suggestions to check out accom options in these areas.

Also wanted to ask about some details on the SIN process. What iv read you just arrive, fill out some paperwork and get it done in about 10 mins. Is there any issue with us getting our SINs in Toronto but then living in Calgary? Thanks again for the help.

Honestly traffic isn't that bad. I drive a lot for work and if you aren't in the guts of downtown or coming into the city you should be fine.

Get somewhere close to downtown and enjoy being able to get in and out easily by public transport.

Agro Head wrote: »
    Honestly traffic isn't that bad. I drive a lot for work and if you aren't in the guts of downtown or coming into the city you should be fine.

Get somewhere close to downtown and enjoy being able to get in and out easily by public transport.

Thanks. Looking into the Public transport to get to work its gonna take over an hour. Id have to get a subway to Finch Station i believe then a 40 minute buss to go back across east to the 404. According to google anyways. Trying to hit a happy medium for the both of us so i think any decent subway station would be good for her. Ill keep looking. Managed to rejig AirBnB and found some places.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭pilgrim pat

Hi i am looking for carpentry work has any one any contacts ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I'd just let it go. Put the whole situation behind you and forget about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭goingitalone

Faith wrote: »
    I'd just let it go. Put the whole situation behind you and forget about it.

id have to agree with faith ! put it down to a bad choice and forget about it .

thats the issue not signing any contract too in one way you got out off the place easy with not being tied in really . but i think it be more hassle then its worth to go chasing it .you could have just stayed till the end of then then looked for places the end off the time you paid for. might been a better option ya wouldnt been out money then at least .

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

If you kick up a fuss, they can chase you for a lot more money. Chalk it up to an expensive mistake, and be more careful when looking at places in the future.

• Advertisement

ahh i got ya . hows the new place im heading over in august so im sure ill give a message to make sure i dont happen to get the same place as your last place lol :P

hopefully IT im a qualified engineer too but ill take anything i can get initially . ahh the money i do plan on having a nice chunk hopefully about 12 thousand or so canadian . i want that little but more extra esp going by myself .

thats my plan too. have enough to cover me for bit then hopefully get work get something to were say the guts of a weeks wages would cover a months rent or close too it . and then live off the other 3 weeks as ya go .keeping as much as i can otherwise .

yeah there seems to be allot delusion with allot people in general about it . its not a cheap country to live in general . yeah was looking in phones wind seem to have a decent plan which works out about 30 euro a month i pay that hear plus and seem to have the best data deals . free international texts etc .

and i read monthly travel pass thing is a a hundred or so dollars that covers the bus and trains i think . so its not too terrible .if ya get the use outta it and the service is have decent . hopefully im gonna look for somewhere close to one the big stores like walmart or whatever just for getting basics the bigger the supermarkets are gonna be somewhat cheaper

I totally lucked out with my flatmate, he travels all the time with work so this apartment is basically a base for him here, he's away more time than he's here and when he is here he's usually off out doing other stuff or doing his own thing.

Here 3 weeks now and enjoying it for the most part, once holiday mode ends and you settle down a bit its easier to save money by cooking but it's expensive here, you can blow through money so fast it's crazy even when you're not going out partying every night which I havent been at all, havent even been to a nightclub yet just sports bars and the like.
    I was going to get a travel pass but I live to close to everything I just walk and if its a bit further get the subway, havent ventured much out of downtown yet though but must give the beaches area a visit and want to see the zoo.

I love how bustling the city is, although I'm sure once I get a job and need to contend with rush hour on the subway I wont think that lol, they're shooting the new Adam Sandler movie here too so loads of streets are changed to look like New York and there's NYPD cars and taxis around its cool.

I totally lucked out with my flatmate, he travels all the time with work so this apartment is basically a base for him here, he's away more time than he's here and when he is here he's usually off out doing other stuff or doing his own thing.

Here 3 weeks now and enjoying it for the most part, once holiday mode ends and you settle down a bit its easier to save money by cooking but it's expensive here, you can blow through money so fast it's crazy even when you're not going out partying every night which I havent been at all, havent even been to a nightclub yet just sports bars and the like.
    I was going to get a travel pass but I live to close to everything I just walk and if its a bit further get the subway, havent ventured much out of downtown yet though but must give the beaches area a visit and want to see the zoo.

I love how bustling the city is, although I'm sure once I get a job and need to contend with rush hour on the subway I wont think that lol, they're shooting the new Adam Sandler movie here too so loads of streets are changed to look like New York and there's NYPD cars and taxis around its cool.

whats your rent like krudler being downtown roughly ?

• Advertisement

whats your rent like krudler being downtown roughly ?

750 a month, that's less than I'd pay to live by myself in a house in Limerick. I'm one subway stop or about 10 mins stroll from Dundas Square which is the centre of downtown

Advertisement