Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Toronto Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭goingitalone

krudler wrote: »
    750 a month, that's less than I'd pay to live by myself in a house in Limerick. I'm one subway stop or about 10 mins stroll from Dundas Square which is the centre of downtown

750 Canadian i assume , if it is thats what about 500 quid a month not to bad at all .

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

750 Canadian i assume , if it is thats what about 500 quid a month not to bad at all .

Dollars yeah, I wouldnt get a one bed sh1tbox back home for that.

krudler wrote: »
    Dollars yeah, I wouldnt get a one bed sh1tbox back home for that.

very nice indeed all sounds good . how ya finding the place otherwise ?

very nice indeed all sounds good . how ya finding the place otherwise ?

Expensive, it's so easy to blow though money especially before you get settled and have to eat out every night, if you're in a hostel with a kitchen it probably wouldnt be so bad but when I was in a hotel I'd have to get meals in fast food places or bars, the Eaton Centre has a massive food court with loads of variety though so there's no shortage of places to eat.

Can't get over how big the world cup is here, I figured soccer wouldnt be big on the agenda but there's so many nationalities here pubs are packed out and there's people in jerseys and facepaint everywhere today. Sports are a big part of life here, its baseball season and the stanley cup is on so there's always something on, not sure when the baskeyball season is I think that ended earlier in the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

where did you look for the apartments, any places to avoid or that are a must to live in :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭dealhunter1985

have you been to Vaughan Mills yet?
    Free shuttle bus to and from Union station daily.
    Takes about 50 mins each way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭dealhunter1985

I think its great.
    Has all the big designer names and everything is wayyy cheaper than the city
    You need to go mid week though to get the best deals.
    You can see what deals are going on their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

go to winners or marshalls, they're all over the place. its basically tk maxx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭Phonehead

retalivity wrote: »
    go to winners or marshalls, they're all over the place. its basically tk maxx

It is impossible to go into Winners and not buy something.... so much **** I never knew I needed or wanted:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Phonehead wrote: »
    It is impossible to go into Winners and not buy something.... so much **** I never knew I needed or wanted:D

Never go into Homesense then....its the same company but just furnishings and homestuff. You're wallet will never get alive!

Anyone for a Toronto boardies pint end of august or start of September?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Ella85

hi sashafierce I'm moving to Toronto in 2 and half weeks! just in time for me to turn into an ice cube when I get off the plane! How are you finding life in Toronto now? any advice you can give me i.e. Mobile network to join, job agencies etc..

Yep heading over on my own! Looking forward to it but obviously a bit nervous too. What are you working at? I'd say city life is expensive it'll be a big shock when I get there. I'm hoping to get work in Science but need to hit the ground running so will probably try and get a bit of bar work first. Wow weather doesn't sound too bad at all I'm surprised :)

Ah thank you you're very kind :) no I have no idea where I'm staying yet lol I'm so organised! I was planning on staying in a hostel for a couple of days and hopefully get accommodation sorted during that time. I'd get lost in a circle cos I have absolutely no sense of direction so getting around will be fun lol ;)

• Advertisement

Hi Sashafierce, quick question for you, with regard to bank statement to prove I have the amount required as per visa requirements, would a print out do or should I order one?

Hi Sashafierce, quick question for you, with regard to bank statement to prove I have the amount required as per visa requirements, would a print out do or should I order one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

So guys what is your experience getting work, Ive been handing out resumes for last three days and had a open call interview today for barwork, whats the general reply time? Is it straight away or should I be getting worried :(
    Like my friend got her job straight away but infairness shes drop dead gorgeous something that always is a help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

astonaidan wrote: »
    So guys what is your experience getting work, Ive been handing out resumes for last three days and had a open call interview today for barwork, whats the general reply time? Is it straight away or should I be getting worried :(
    Like my friend got her job straight away but infairness shes drop dead gorgeous something that always is a help

Never had to job hunt here but apparently it can take months. Get a job in Walmart or Tim Horton's in the interim and keep looking elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭SupraSonic_26

Im heading over myself in a few months did a few calculations on wages vs rent and renting a place vs a hostel the difference is huge but trying to afford a place straight away is just not affordable unless you get a job in the first 2 weeks but looking at prices in a hostels for a week compared to what you would pay weekly rent the hostel would eat up your money in no time and you would want a job that earns least $15 a hr to live ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Hey guys does anyone know a pub the Irish rugby game will be played tomorrow??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

try shark club just across from the eaton centre.

Advertisement