Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Toronto Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

most places will be looking for $20 entry to cover the $3000 fee to show the game

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭SupraSonic_26

has anyone ever stayed in the candiana hostel before?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

has anyone ever stayed in the candiana hostel before?

Yup good spot

sweet.

just a question on getting a house or apartment to rent there will be 3 of us looking for a place to rent and does it only have to be one person that shows letter from there job or do all 3 have to do it?its first and last months rent aswell?

sweet.

just a question on getting a house or apartment to rent there will be 3 of us looking for a place to rent and does it only have to be one person that shows letter from there job or do all 3 have to do it?its first and last months rent aswell?

Everyone I think

• Advertisement

Ok its six nations time, has anyone a idea where the games will be shown? I thought McVeighs would have it but just rang them there and got a no :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Going back 3 years now but I watched a match in the elephant and castle near king and university.

Surprised mcveighs don't have it, they usually show everything (for a price)

Anyone ever go to the shooting range or get a gun license for the shooting range can somebody on a working holiday visa get one?

Well I know the Rose & Crown has it on, just a bit of spin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

Anyone ever go to the shooting range or get a gun license for the shooting range can somebody on a working holiday visa get one?

Yes I have my restricted firearms licence here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Eutow

sweet.

Depends on the price of the apartment and how much the person going on the lease is earning, as well as the management company.

When I lived in High Park & Keele, there was four of us, including myself. The apartment was about $2,000 a month, and I think each person on the lease needed to be earning about $30,000. So, two people went on the lease, and me and the other person were just the other names down that were renting. First and last month is standard everywhere.

astonaidan wrote: »
    Ok its six nations time, has anyone a idea where the games will be shown? I thought McVeighs would have it but just rang them there and got a no frown.png

I used to go to Scallywags - Yonge & St Clair - when living there. The pub is right opposite the subway station. You will have to pay $20 entry though. This place gets packed very quickly so you would need to be early.

Jonty wrote: »
    Yes I have my restricted firearms licence here

is it hard to get does it cost much?where did you go to get it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

is it hard to get does it cost much?where did you go to get it?

Nigel de Paulson was the instructor in target sports in gormley. 300 bucks. You'll need your Garda clearance cert and two character references. It would be handy if they were Canadians. They need to have known you 2 years minimum

Went to Rose & Crown, 20 euro entrance disappointed thought the place would be packed, probably small game and early kick off didnt help

astonaidan wrote: »
    Went to Rose & Crown, 20 euro entrance disappointed thought the place would be packed, probably small game and early kick off didnt help

i was looking for a football team to join when i get over and that pub sponsors one of them thought would be busy

i was looking for a football team to join when i get over and that pub sponsors one of them thought would be busy

It was busy enough for the SA rugby match, but that was a more reasonable hour

Whats the equivielent to aldi or lidl in toronto for food wise and cheap drink and clothes?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

cool any suggestions on a food joints thats way different from home that do the likes of burgers or desserts that we wouldnt see back home love my food and trying different stuff for a change when im out of ireland ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

• Advertisement

sweet thats what im talking about variety at its finest for a hangover on asunday ha.

Is it hard to get an apartment or house to rent in toronto just curious as there will be 3 of us i know we all have to have to have a letter of employment but what about looking at places i heard alot of people can go for the same place does the agency or landlord make the decision then? Only reason im asking i dont want to be stuck in a hostel for more then the 3 and half weeks ill be there i want to get a place but its not like ireland where you just inquire and say you want it give the deposit and move in?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 eironto

Is it hard to get an apartment or house to rent in toronto just curious as there will be 3 of us i know we all have to have to have a letter of employment but what about looking at places i heard alot of people can go for the same place does the agency or landlord make the decision then? Only reason im asking i dont want to be stuck in a hostel for more then the 3 and half weeks ill be there i want to get a place but its not like ireland where you just inquire and say you want it give the deposit and move in?

Accommodation can be snapped up very fast but it's really not difficult to find. I wouldn't worry too much.

Some landlords are stricter than others. Most will ask for a letter of employment, some will ask for a credit check (which is bad news for new arrivals) and most will ask you to pay your first and last months rent upfront.

While they can't legally ask you for more than two months rent upfront, you can always offer to pay an extra couple of months if you don't yet have a job. It's probably best to first rent from an independent landlord or homeowner. It's much easier than dealing with an agency and you may get a bit of leeway when it comes to proof of employment.

The Irish & New in Toronto FB group is a great place for finding accommodation.

eironto wrote: »
    Accommodation can be snapped up very fast but it's really not difficult to find. I wouldn't worry too much.

Some landlords are stricter than others. Most will ask for a letter of employment, some will ask for a credit check (which is bad news for new arrivals) and most will ask you to pay your first and last months rent upfront.

While they can't legally ask you for more than two months rent upfront, you can always offer to pay an extra couple of months if you don't yet have a job. It's probably best to first rent from an independent landlord or homeowner. It's much easier than dealing with an agency and you may get a bit of leeway when it comes to proof of employment.

The Irish & New in Toronto FB group is a great place for finding accommodation.
    ya im on the page its handy, thanks for the info just curious way it works so agency be better to go through, is there atram network like in melbourne or is it all subway for getting around?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 eironto

ya im on the page its handy, thanks for the info just curious way it works so agency be better to go through, is there atram network like in melbourne or is it all subway for getting around?

There are trams, called streetcars, that connect with the buses and subway. I've written about all of this stuff on my blog. I don't want to break any forum rules by posting a link but stick a .com on my username.

Toronto's public transport can struggle to deal with the peak hour traffic at times but overall it is very good. You can get a monthly pass for $135 that gives you unlimited access to the streetcars, buses and subway.

Any advice best way to get from airport to downtown bur or train and wheres it go from or the name of it cheers?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

Any advice best way to get from airport to downtown bur or train and wheres it go from or the name of it cheers?

$3 will get you on the Rocket outside the terminal.

Head to Kipling Station and then where you need to get downtown is easy to navigate on the subway.

The initial $3 will get you a transfer to the Subway too.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 wittyusername

allanb49 wrote: »
    $3 will get you on the Rocket outside the terminal.

Head to Kipling Station and then where you need to get downtown is easy to navigate on the subway.

The initial $3 will get you a transfer to the Subway too.

One quick note on this - they don't provide change on the 192 Rocket bus so you'll need the $3 exactly. It's a little hard to spot, but there's a machine inside the terminal across from the bus stop which you can use to buy TTC tokens (which are little chits that behave the same as handing the driver $3).

Just a curious question about credit scores and loans ect, can you get a credit card on a whv or car finance has anyone ever done this reason im asking is if you get PR does your credit score start soon as you open a bank account and rent appartment or apply for a credit card with your bank as i know would be strict. Just wondering as when i was in oz on a whv had a good job with pay and bank offered me a 4k credit card out the blue so out of curiosity i applied for car finance for 20k when there and to my suprise was accpeted but didnt take it ha but i know this wouldnt work in canada?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Just a curious question about credit scores and loans ect, can you get a credit card on a whv or car finance has anyone ever done this reason im asking is if you get PR does your credit score start soon as you open a bank account and rent appartment or apply for a credit card with your bank as i know would be strict. Just wondering as when i was in oz on a whv had a good job with pay and bank offered me a 4k credit card out the blue so out of curiosity i applied for car finance for 20k when there and to my suprise was accpeted but didnt take it ha but i know this wouldnt work in canada?

You can get a credit card on a work permit, but it will likely be a secured card. This will help build up your credit rating though. For car finance, I think a higher interest rate might apply even if it's possible. Temporary residents can have a credit score too.

Advertisement