Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Toronto Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭markmcg

Is anyone heading over within the next month?

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Intifada

In exactly 31 days :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I'm not sure about food shopping etc but I've been trying out massage clinics and nail bars. Today I found the holy grail of nail services. It's called dream tips, it's on yonge street near Wellesley.

It's clean, which seems to be a rare find, the techs are amazing, really friendly, super cheap for the service you get. They have an amazing selection of colours, but I just went with a basic French. They had wifi, hot towels, massages, free shoulder massage while nails were drying. Good lord it was amazing. This has been my third pedicure in Toronto and it's the best I've ever had!

If any of you are looking for good nail technicians I think this is a good bet!

I've had a few massages in Chinatown but didn't like them at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Hey guys, when my visa expires can i still get payed after it as my last work day will be sunday 13th september, but last pay day 18th september

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭el diablo

astonaidan wrote: »
    Hey guys, when my visa expires can i still get payed after it as my last work day will be sunday 13th september, but last pay day 18th september

Of course.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Advertisement

el diablo wrote: »
    Of course.

Awesome :D

So guys, Im going home in september, how do I go about doing my taxes, for the TTC passes refund is keeping the cards enough or do I need the receipt

We are moving over for keeps in January. we need a house as opposed to an apartment (two dogs!)
    Is it easy to find pet friendly accommodation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I'm not sure about food shopping etc but I've been trying out massage clinics and nail bars. Today I found the holy grail of nail services. It's called dream tips, it's on yonge street near Wellesley.

I went there last week. It has really good reviews on yelp. It was pretty good but it didn't stand out to me as any better than any other place. Got myself a shellac pedi in a neon orange colour!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

So I'm thinking of doing the IEC next year in Toronto and just have a few questions.

My work experience is in retail management, been in retail for about 7 years and in management for about 2 and a half years. What's the market like in Toronto for store managers/assistant store managers if anyone knows? Ive been checking kijiji and indeed but I can't really tell.

Depending on how things work out I would also be thinking of going for permanent residency and I see that management is an NOC 0 career so would this make things easier towards going for PR?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭whatlliwear

Can anyone help me. I need to buy skincare products and I usually use Elemis but can't find it in Toronto. where's the best value place to buy decent products?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Ubiquitous Synergy Seeker

Shoppers probably

Can anyone help me. I need to buy skincare products and I usually use Elemis but can't find it in Toronto. where's the best value place to buy decent products?

Are you looking for salon brands? A friend of mine pointed me in the direction of Yorkville (north of bloor) (Cumberland st, Yorkville Ave, scollard etc) for nice and professional beauty salons rather than the likes of the salons on yonge street. Maybe you could try there? Or else buy Elemis online

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 471 ✭✭OrgasmicBaz

Two questions

1 - Are there any goods pubs to watch football in? I was thinking of the time difference so for example the Saturday game at 3pm would be at 10am so very few places would be open to show. Can anyone recommend a place for the footie?

2 - I'd be looking to playing football (soccer) in Toronto. Flying out Sept 30th so thinking the season would run during summer months so id miss out on that. Are there any indoor leagues during the winter or is it only summer? Also are there any Irish teams set up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭horse7

Any work opportunity s for secondary school art teacher (in an educational position)?

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭SupraSonic_26

Im here since may now got a networking job and was only here 4 days, stayed in the canadiana hostel for 2 months which was enough ha, im well settled now in Toronto love it def wont want to go home, got a place with few other irish by dufferin mall great spot pity takes me over a hour to get to work tho in north york.

I've been here since March now, great job with a fantastic company, earning way more than I did at home, living in a penthouse apartment in City Place. Best decision I have ever made coming here, an absolutely amazing city and still have so much to discover.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Intifada

It's a cool city. Depending on where you're from in Ireland the nightlife isn't really anywhere near as good, but there's more stuff to do during the day I guess. There's lots of nice takeaway/restaurant food, although the food in supermarkets is atrocious and everything is ridiculously expensive (maybe this is balanced out when you're earning, although I don't know how anyone survives on the min wage jobs). Oh and you have to actually pay service staff extra on top of your already extortionate bill. At home tipping is something you do if you're feeling nice/generous, but here it's just a stealth tax.

As for the people, I had heard everyone say how incredibly friendly Canadians are but they're not particularly. They aren't nasty or anything, but they're certainly not exceptionally friendly. Everyone is quite positive and cheerful though, and it's a very safe city. Haven't really noticed any scumbags at all, and even the rough looking people seem grand. We keep getting told we live in a rough area but it's not at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

You in Cabbagetown? :D

Food isn't expensive, you just ha e to know where to go. Spadina and Kensington have plenty of places with incredibly cheap fruit and veg - I came out of one yesterday with two absolutely packed shopping bags for $17. Meat certain ly isn't cheap unfortunately, but again if you look around its very doable... some butchers a d local shops do good prices, I got 400g of good mince for $3.80 yesterday on the way back from the fruit and veg shop. On the other hand, I also paid $24 on legs and thighs, a fistful or two of wings, a lb of chuck/blade stake and 5 or 6 long pieces of bacon. If you make meals from scratch over here, they are so much cheaper compared to the premise stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,436 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Two questions

1 - Are there any goods pubs to watch football in? I was thinking of the time difference so for example the Saturday game at 3pm would be at 10am so very few places would be open to show. Can anyone recommend a place for the footie?

2 - I'd be looking to playing football (soccer) in Toronto. Flying out Sept 30th so thinking the season would run during summer months so id miss out on that. Are there any indoor leagues during the winter or is it only summer? Also are there any Irish teams set up?

Most of the English/Irish/Scottish pubs should show games - quinns, mcveighs etc.

There's a Toronto Irish football club, they play to quite a high level, although I think they have a few teams. They're on fb, might be worth getting in touch to see what they do during the winter

EDIT: they also have a website http://www.torontoirishfootball.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭DsJewel

So I'm thinking of doing the IEC next year in Toronto and just have a few questions.

My work experience is in retail management, been in retail for about 7 years and in management for about 2 and a half years. What's the market like in Toronto for store managers/assistant store managers if anyone knows? Ive been checking kijiji and indeed but I can't really tell.

Depending on how things work out I would also be thinking of going for permanent residency and I see that management is an NOC 0 career so would this make things easier towards going for PR?

I'm wondering about retail work too, I've worked on retail the last few years and wondering what kind of jobs are available in Canada and how they'd pay. I'm going more the experience/travel aspect than as a career move so I'd just be looking to earn enough to get me by.

With retail from what I've heard, you will be lucky to get above min wage ($11/hr)... maybe 13/+4 unless you are working something party unary high end like expensive cosmetics or jewellery. I can guarantee they pay higher either, just my assumption.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Intifada wrote: »

As for the people, I had heard everyone say how incredibly friendly Canadians are but they're not particularly. They aren't nasty or anything, but they're certainly not exceptionally friendly. Everyone is quite positive and cheerful though, and it's a very safe city. Haven't really noticed any scumbags at all, and even the rough looking people seem grand. We keep getting told we live in a rough area but it's not at all.

I would say Canadians have a reputation for politeness more than friendliness. In any case, Toronto would not be regarded by the rest of us as anywhere near the top of the friendly league table. Actually, I find the place less friendly every time I visit but I'm comparing it to St. John's which is hardly fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Jlayay

Interesting thread here. I'm going to opposite direction, moving from Toronto to Cork for school. Spent all 20+ years of my life in Toronto. Expecting Cork to be more laid back than Toronto but I'll see when I get there.

Jlayay wrote: »
    Interesting thread here. I'm going to opposite direction, moving from Toronto to Cork for school. Spent all 20+ years of my life in Toronto. Expecting Cork to be more laid back than Toronto but I'll see when I get there.

Driving in Ireland is my biggest problem when I visit there: other side of road, stick shift cars (automatics are hideously expensive to hire for some reason), tiny lanes with 80k speed limits, roundabouts, roundabouts with traffic lights, white van men constantly behind me, mad cyclists, farm animals wandering about and hedges that extend right to the car window. With all that said, most drivers stay calm esp. in Dublin and are very tolerant of my numerous mistakes. A few mad young lads down the country got annoyed with me, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭el diablo

Ardillaun wrote: »
    Driving in Ireland is my biggest problem when I visit there: other side of road, stick shift cars (automatics are hideously expensive to hire for some reason), tiny lanes with 80k speed limits, roundabouts, roundabouts with traffic lights, white van men constantly behind me, mad cyclists, farm animals wandering about and hedges that extend right to the car window. With all that said, most drivers stay calm esp. in Dublin and are very tolerant of my numerous mistakes. A few mad young lads down the country got annoyed with me, though.

Farm animals and tiny lanes. Sounds like you only drive in rural Ireland. And only old ladies and executive cars use automatic shift in Ireland.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 12 L.Riley

Jlayay wrote: »

I'm from Europe, but spent the last three years in Toronto, and now I'm moving to Dublin to study/work. I was looking for info on Ireland when I stumbled on this thread. I was somewhat surprised to see it. I'm so used to the thought of moving to Ireland myself that I forgot people actually want to go to Canada :)

el diablo wrote: »
    Farm animals and tiny lanes. Sounds like you only drive in rural Ireland. And only old ladies and executive cars use automatic shift in Ireland.

I did everything from the motorways to the smallest tracks of Clare, Kerry and Galway. The motorways are a great improvement since my time over there.

Automatic is way better for city driving and for everything else too, for a not very skilled driver like myself, and it costs so much to rent one. I was going to buy one, a RAV 4, when I almost moved back ten years ago. Don't get me started on the rental cost of the sat nav which is indispensable - very helpful for speed limits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 471 ✭✭OrgasmicBaz

Can anyone recommend a link for a Canadian resume (cv) template?

• Advertisement

Can anyone recommend a link for a Canadian resume (cv) template?

Not to be an ass about it but... https://www.google.ca/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&rlz=1C1LDJZ_en-GBCA652CA652&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=canadian%20resume%20template

Advertisement