Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Vancouver Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭guest124

Stinjy wrote: »
    I posted this is the other Vancouver thread but this one seems to have more traffic. Q: does anyone know where I can get Haribo Tangfastics, I can find gold bears and stuff.. any help guys and gals ?

Will keep eye out for them for ya.

Got a dell laptop yesterday for $400, i don't know much about computers but i'm not sure the fan should be making much noise after a day! It's only light but the staff member was a bit.... weird. She mentioned something about the laptop having a system check before christmas so not to be worried if some of the packaing was off. Like wtf. And the McAfee free trial is expired. I'm kinda suspicious that it is second hand now.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Stinjy

guest124 wrote: »
    Will keep eye out for them for ya.

Got a dell laptop yesterday for $400, i don't know much about computers but i'm not sure the fan should be making much noise after a day! It's only light but the staff member was a bit.... weird. She mentioned something about the laptop having a system check before christmas so not to be worried if some of the packaing was off. Like wtf. And the McAfee free trial is expired. I'm kinda suspicious that it is second hand now.

Thanks!

Where did you get it? A fan in my experience should be making little to no noise unless you're really working it. It may need some heat gel stuff or a good cleaning.. But I dunno after a day... Maybe bring it into a repair place and ask them about it , if they say its not right straight back to the shop I'd be going! Also I'd invest in some proper virus protection especially if you're going to be streaming TV and stuff... As for the service I've found in many places they can be hit and miss... But its a start :)

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Liam90

So I'm flying out tomorrow and I still have some space left in my luggage, is there anything you recommend I buy here to bring over that is for example much more expensive to buy in Canada.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭mulbot

Liam90 wrote: »
    So I'm flying out tomorrow and I still have some space left in my luggage, is there anything you recommend I buy here to bring over that is for example much more expensive to buy in Canada.

maybe add in extra travel adaptors-ire-us/north america,or things that you just can't get here(like those jellies in above post etc) I find it's not any more expensive for anything here really,

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭mydiscworld

I'm looking to make the big move to Vancouver this year. All fairly daunting. Any idea what the jobs market is like for qualified accountants?

I'm working 7 years since I got my Commerce degree and fully qualified for 2 years with CPA Ireland. Been in Audit the whole time in the public service.

I believe CPA Canada is the new amalgamated designation over there for most of the accountancy bodies, so perhaps being Irish CPA that might stand to me.

Is the pay for a qualified accountant in Vancouver the same roughly as you'd get in Ireland? Or since you've no Canadian experience will they pay you way less?

I also hear 10 days annual leave is standard? Again, not being a recent graduate, would you get more leave?

• Advertisement

I'm looking to make the big move to Vancouver this year. All fairly daunting. Any idea what the jobs market is like for qualified accountants?

I'm working 7 years since I got my Commerce degree and fully qualified for 2 years with CPA Ireland. Been in Audit the whole time in the public service.

I believe CPA Canada is the new amalgamated designation over there for most of the accountancy bodies, so perhaps being Irish CPA that might stand to me.

Is the pay for a qualified accountant in Vancouver the same roughly as you'd get in Ireland? Or since you've no Canadian experience will they pay you way less?

I also hear 10 days annual leave is standard? Again, not being a recent graduate, would you get more leave?

Hey there, i can't answer any of the accountancy questions-just the holiday one,from my experience,alot are ten days,but it depends on the company,i get paid a percentage per hour on top of my wage,incl in every pay check and that equates to about 4 1/2 weeks per year,but can take time off after that if i want-make sure to ask

Stinjy wrote: »
    Thanks!

Where did you get it? A fan in my experience should be making little to no noise unless you're really working it. It may need some heat gel stuff or a good cleaning.. But I dunno after a day... Maybe bring it into a repair place and ask them about it , if they say its not right straight back to the shop I'd be going! Also I'd invest in some proper virus protection especially if you're going to be streaming TV and stuff... As for the service I've found in many places they can be hit and miss... But its a start :)

Got it in bestbuys. I think I might just be being paranoid to be fair haha. It's really not that loud! :pac:

Got it in bestbuys. I think I might just be being paranoid to be fair haha. It's really not that loud! :pac:

Aiight well hopefully its alright!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭AmyPL

Flights, AirBnB all booked. Almost a year since I originally applied for the visa! Crazy to think it's actually happening now. Roll on March 19th :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29 onworld

AmyPL wrote: »
    Flights, AirBnB all booked. Almost a year since I originally applied for the visa! Crazy to think it's actually happening now. Roll on March 19th :)

Snap! April 21st for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭DJ Hafez

If you like spray-on deodorant, bring lots. You can't get decent ones over here.

DJ Hafez wrote: »
    If you like spray-on deodorant, bring lots. You can't get decent ones over here.

and tea-bags!!

mulbot wrote: »
    and tea-bags!!

I brought tea bags and found that I've not really used them.. The tetleys is good over here... But maybe a few wouldn't go astray for a treat ;)

Otherwise whoever is wondering about things to bring I as use haribo if you're fond of them...

So where do people buy shoes here? More specifically; ladies shoes! I need a decent pair of heels but for a reasonable price. Forever 21 had great prices but crap selection of shoes. Winners and Aldo are a bit steep for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Scruffy19

So where do people buy shoes here? More specifically; ladies shoes! I need a decent pair of heels but for a reasonable price. Forever 21 had great prices but crap selection of shoes. Winners and Aldo are a bit steep for me.

If you can take the trip to the outlet stores outside of Seattle. Cheap as chips down there! Not that far from the boarder just over an hour i think!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Scruffy19 wrote: »
    If you can take the trip to the outlet stores outside of Seattle. Cheap as chips down there! Not that far from the boarder just over an hour i think!

Even cheaper if you can make it to Portland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭el diablo

Canadian dollar is pretty weak versus the US dollar right now though so it's probably not worth the trip..

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

Hmm pretty busy this weekend so can't venture too far out!

my better half had same prob, and the solution?- got shoes,or boots whatever they were,sent over from ireland,:o

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭mydiscworld

Any tips on the best time of year to move over to Vancouver, weather, accom and jobs wise?

I've heard Sep/Oct can be tricky accomodation wise with colleges back. Do most graduate jobs start then too?

Earliest I could go this year would be mid Oct. At that stage would I better better waiting for Spring, say Feb/Mar?

• Advertisement

Any tips on the best time of year to move over to Vancouver, weather, accom and jobs wise?

I've heard Sep/Oct can be tricky accomodation wise with colleges back. Do most graduate jobs start then too?

Earliest I could go this year would be mid Oct. At that stage would I better better waiting for Spring, say Feb/Mar?

with regards weather,if you hate constant rain,grey skies etc then don't move in october!! leave it till spring,or later even

I personally wouldn't arrive in late spring or summer just because the price of temporary accommodation would be more. I arrived three weeks ago and my airbnb would have been a lot more if I arrived April-October. The weather at the moment is dry and sunny but it's usually raining! But I think that will make me appreciate the summer more :D

I moved in november . its not that bad, rainy and what like one day of a bit of snow.. Pretty disappointing IMO, as I look out the window its a crisp spring day and was similar yesterday.
    I hear June is pretty rainy here but July and august are supposed to be good weather wise ( I've only ever been in august And its always been lovely)

I've no idea about accommodation but I think you'll get something any time of year!

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭MarkJD

Payless arent too bad for shoes! can usually get some good boots etc. I moved over end of Aug and weather was great. Make sure you have a fan lined up as the whole city was sold out of fans it seemed. had to order online and it took about 2 weeks to come!

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Liam90

Should I be looking for a place to rent even though I haven't found a job yet? My worry is renting out a place and not being able to find a job.

Should I be looking for a place to rent even though I haven't found a job yet? My worry is renting out a place and not being able to find a job.

maybe try share first until you get a job-in alot of cases(not always) the landlord will want references etc. and they will most likely ask for one from an employer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Think Im in the right place..

Getting bamboozled with information online. Heading over March 26th for 13 nights to visit my cousin and her newborn. Newborns have routines :) so Im gonna be doing a lot on my own.. Happily stay local and visit parks surrounding but want to get out for a bit too, and thinking Portland maybe stop of in Seattle? My cousin has advised Amtrakking it down and the bussing back up, or vice versa to save on costs. Do I need a visa and should I book well ahead?

Any suggestions, or advice, and what you'd recommend doing? Im not an 'sea-kayaking' type of person, enjoying more museums, coffee and good veggie food!

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭fergusb

Strangely Buses are quicker than the train, but the train journey is pretty nice and along the coast so would recommend that depending on budget. There are a few cheap buses you can get like Bolt bus which are supposed to be better than Greyhound.

For a Visa, make sure you have your ESTA completed and valid, once that is done you just get your Visa when you enter (will cost something like 6 USD). On the bus you get off the bus, have a queue and get sorted, on the train you do it before you board the train in Vancouver, and then just a quick passenger screen on the train at the boarder.

For Vancouver, there is no shortage of coffee shops, but there is a shortage of museums, the Museum of Anthropology in UBC is worth a visit. Also recommend heading to Stanley park, rent a bike and cycle around the sea wall if its a nice day. End of March should be still Ski season (although worst season on record here). So even though sea-kayaking isn't for you, maybe skiing is? so could head to Whistler for a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

fergusb wrote: »
    For a Visa, make sure you have your ESTA completed and valid, once that is done you just get your Visa when you enter (will cost something like 6 USD). On the bus you get off the bus, have a queue and get sorted, on the train you do it before you board the train in Vancouver, and then just a quick passenger screen on the train at the boarder.

You don't require ESTA for land crossings from Canada to USA

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1132/~/citizen-of-visa-waiver-country,-wants-to-drive-into-u.s.-from-canada-or-mexico,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭fergusb

Interesting! Never knew that, they usually ask me at the border if I have an ESTA but maybe thats just something they put into the system and won't make a difference.

Advertisement