Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Vancouver Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Some weather Vancouver has been having since we arrived last Friday. We've been busy getting SIN's, Bank Accounts, Temporary Accommodation and now mobile data plans.
    Next on the agenda is jobs. Of course rushing out the door to catch the flight last week, I left my business suits on the bed. So has anybody any recommendations on where to pick up a decent business suit for up to $350? We're up on Main and Broadway but anywhere within a couple of miles would be grand. Just need a suit to get me through a couple of interviews. Cheers Roddy

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Stinjy

Roddy23 wrote: »
    Some weather Vancouver has been having since we arrived last Friday. We've been busy getting SIN's, Bank Accounts, Temporary Accommodation and now mobile data plans.
    Next on the agenda is jobs. Of course rushing out the door to catch the flight last week, I left my business suits on the bed. So has anybody any recommendations on where to pick up a decent business suit for up to $350? We're up on Main and Broadway but anywhere within a couple of miles would be grand. Just need a suit to get me through a couple of interviews. Cheers Roddy

Sorry I've no idea about suits but can I ask what kind of a phone plan you got and what the data allowances are? Thanks!

Also +1 for this weather its like summer at home :P

Stinjy wrote: »
    Sorry I've no idea about suits but can I ask what kind of a phone plan you got and what the data allowances are? Thanks!

Also +1 for this weather its like summer at home :P

Went for the sim only 1gb data plan with Koodo https://shop.koodomobile.com/plans/plans/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

InTheTrees wrote: »
    When I first moved to the USA I was shocked by the low standard of american drivers. They barely take a test at all, you're in and out with a license in about 20 minutes. And that includes the driving test.

But then I moved to Seattle and began spending time driving in BC and omg... they're absolutely atrocious. They're asleep, they dont look around them, they dont use mirrors and they dont use turn signals. And they have lunatic speed limits. 40kph on the main route out of vancouver to Seattle? Doesnt make sense. Driving in vancouver is like driving in delhi in super slow motion.

I'm not surprised insurance is expensive.

I would certainly check that you can easily swap your canadian license for an Irish one again once you get home, because it doesnt seem like an equitable swap at all, Irish standards are far above the canadians.

Mate, I drive 9 hours a day all over Vancouver, you wouldn't believe what I see. I'm afraid the way they drive says a lot about them.

flemzer wrote: »
    given that there is no NCT...is it risky buying on craigslist? I have to say I don't know all that much about cars and I couldnt tell if mechanically there was something wrong... do you mind telling me the name of the dealer you bought off?

There's a old mechanic on the north shore called Barry of Barry Automotive. He's the salt of the earth. I took mine in to get the brakes done and a service. I rang to see how long he said, "ooh its ready. I didn't do the brakes, they don't need doing for a while".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

ciaran67 wrote: »
    Mate, I drive 9 hours a day all over Vancouver, you wouldn't believe what I see. I'm afraid the way they drive says a lot about them.

Omg.

You have more patience than I could ever have.

Liam90 wrote: »
    My Girlfriend and I are in Kelowna. We left Ireland this day 3 weeks ago and we are loving it so far. The weather has been great and really can't wait for the long hot summer here! I landed a job in our first week here which really shocked me and since then we have found an apartment and my girlfriend has also landed a job. Really can't believe how smoothly everything has gone and feel very lucky :)

Wait til summer, Its hotter than Sydney in Kelowna.

Pop down to Lake Skaha in Penticton when it gets hot. The beach is superb and the water crystal clear.

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Omg.

You have more patience than I could ever have.

I dont know how I do it!

Winners.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Karlos_Macca

Hey Roddy, I'm arriving in Vancouver next week. I was wondering can you get the SIN at the airport on arrival or does it have to be at the Service Canada place downtown? Also, what has been your experience with the bank....what have you gone with? Do you really need a checking account? Or can you just go with a day to day savings account.

And also for anyone else with an opinion on this, is it expected that you a full suit for an interview in Canada? Or would it only be expected for jobs where you wear suits daily? I usually just wear a nice shirt and pants to interviews, and maybe a blazer if its cold....I'm a geologist, so have never needed to wear a suit to work.... Might have to bring my suit over now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Hey Roddy, I'm arriving in Vancouver next week. I was wondering can you get the SIN at the airport on arrival or does it have to be at the Service Canada place downtown? Also, what has been your experience with the bank....what have you gone with? Do you really need a checking account? Or can you just go with a day to day savings account.

SIN is only from Service Canada office downtown - there is no place to get it at YVR. Not sure I understand the question about banking though. I don't think you can open a savings account without a checking account.

SIN is only from Service Canada office downtown - there is no place to get it at YVR. Not sure I understand the question about banking though. I don't think you can open a savings account without a checking account.

Thanks.

Sorry, I meant like a Current or Everyday Account in Ireland where you just get a debit card (Visa/MasterCard), and can use internet/mobile banking. I'm guessing though that Cheques are still quite common in Canada and I'd be needing them even if I didn't want to pay the fees for them....I've, been living in Australia for the past few years where Checks/Cheques are now obsolete due to electronic transfers, for rent, all bills...

And also for anyone else with an opinion on this, is it expected that you a full suit for an interview in Canada? Or would it only be expected for jobs where you wear suits daily? I usually just wear a nice shirt and pants to interviews, and maybe a blazer if its cold....I'm a geologist, so have never needed to wear a suit to work.... Might have to bring my suit over now!

I would say you wouldnt need the suit.

There's a name for it "Business Casual".

Although i'm in the world of computers which may be slightly more casual.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Thanks.

Sorry, I meant like a Current or Everyday Account in Ireland where you just get a debit card (Visa/MasterCard), and can use internet/mobile banking. I'm guessing though that Cheques are still quite common in Canada and I'd be needing them even if I didn't want to pay the fees for them....I've, been living in Australia for the past few years where Checks/Cheques are now obsolete due to electronic transfers, for rent, all bills...

A debit card (though usually not visa/mastercard debit) will come with a checking account. A checking account isn't just for cheques :)

Having said that, postdated cheques are a common way to pay rent over here.

A debit card (though usually not visa/mastercard debit) will come with a checking account. A checking account isn't just for cheques :)

Having said that, postdated cheques are a common way to pay rent over here.

Okay, gotcha :)

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭guest124

Stinjy wrote: »
    I posted this is the other Vancouver thread but this one seems to have more traffic. Q: does anyone know where I can get Haribo Tangfastics, I can find gold bears and stuff.. any help guys and gals ?

Spotted them in London Drugs. Such a spot! Got myself some Tunnocks Caramel wafer bars.yum.

We arrived into Vancouver via the train, so had to go through customs to Canada and activate the WHV once we got off the train. We were told when we got the visa if we left Canada we might not be allowed back in, don't know if this is a customary implication of leaving Canada or something that is normal, but we've said it to a few other Irish people since arriving, and they hadn't heard it before.

The SINs were very handy to get. Got these immediately after getting into Vancouver up on Broadway. Then bank accounts and mobiles the following day. We shopped around for our bank accounts to see the best rates, and something which would work best for us.

What's Paddy's Day like over here?

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭DJ Hafez

We were told when we got the visa if we left Canada we might not be allowed back in, don't know if this is a customary implication of leaving Canada or something that is normal, but we've said it to a few other Irish people since arriving, and they hadn't heard it before.

This is mainly geared at people who are on a working holiday, who don't end up with a job and cross the border. It looks suspicious if you do it a couple of times, so if you're going to and from the States and you're yet to find employment it could mean a few hours spent chatting to immigration.

Other than that rarity, it's free to come and go as you please. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭fergusb

Technically on a IEC visa you are not entitled to re-entry, border police could deny you entry should they have a valid reason. This is standard with any work permit I believe, and the only way to guarantee entry is via citizenship/passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭mulbot

fergusb wrote: »
    Technically on a IEC visa you are not entitled to re-entry, border police could deny you entry should they have a valid reason. This is standard with any work permit I believe, and the only way to guarantee entry is via citizenship/passport.

skilled worker visa allows guaranteed re-entry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 decos77

Hey guys, welcome to Vancouver for all you recent arrivals, I'm here 2 months now. It's been great weather here plus we have to summer ahead of us so can't wait for that.

I'm looking for a job in software dev so I would go for a suit for an interview but then tone down to business casual for networking events.

What are the plans for the paddys parade tomorrow? I will check out doolins pub and looking forward to seeing what they come up with over here. Starts early downtown from 11am.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭DJ Hafez

decos77 wrote: »
    I'm looking for a job in software dev so I would go for a suit for an interview but then tone down to business casual for networking events.

Business casual is typically fine for Dev interviews too. Vancouver is fairly relaxed in that sense. Keep an eye on TechVibes for jobs: http://www.techvibes.com/job/vancouver . Networking is key in the tech space so try to go to meetups & any other networking events so keep an eye on http://meetup.com/ too.

decos77 wrote: »

Software dev in a suit??? That seems weird to me.

What kind of places are you applying to? Banks?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 decos77

Yeah it's not a bank but I guess it's different in than Ireland. Thanks for the tips lads!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭AmyPL

On the suit thing, I had a Skype interview this evening and the email specifically stated that formal attire is not necessary or recommended :o

On the software dev front, I've been applying to jobs via LinkedIn, official company websites, and Angel.co (startup focused) and had some luck with all three. I've gotten a few interviews over Skype these past two weeks which is making me feel really positive about making the decision to move :)

Anyway, T-minus 8 hours until my flight! Tomorrow I'll be in Vancouver. Very excited :D

Thanks again Ciaran. Took a trip to winners, found a cracking suit too. Place is exactly like tk maxx, I'd say it could be hit n miss.

Just another quick question tho, hiring a van in Vancouver, with a company like uhaul. Moving into a new place next week, and bringing furniture is proving troublesome, so was wondering if its possible to hire a cargo van on an Irish drivers license for the day and how different are the automatic transmissions to a regular Irish manual car.

Thanks again Ciaran. Took a trip to winners, found a cracking suit too. Place is exactly like tk maxx, I'd say it could be hit n miss.

Just another quick question tho, hiring a van in Vancouver, with a company like uhaul. Moving into a new place next week, and bringing furniture is proving troublesome, so was wondering if its possible to hire a cargo van on an Irish drivers license for the day and how different are the automatic transmissions to a regular Irish manual car.

Hey,yea you should have no prob getting a van on Irish license,i hired a car here on mine,

you should be fine driving auto-very easy to drive(why do all Americans drive them!!:D) a quick ask from the hire company will sort you out,stick it in D,on ya go,Youtube a quick video on it..tho you will prob find yourself trying to find the clutch pedal for a while(:confused::D)

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Scruffy19

mulbot wrote: »
    Hey,yea you should have no prob getting a van on Irish license,i hired a car here on mine,

you should be fine driving auto-very easy to drive(why do all Americans drive them!!:D) a quick ask from the hire company will sort you out,stick it in D,on ya go,Youtube a quick video on it..tho you will prob find yourself trying to find the clutch pedal for a while(:confused::D)

Dont make the same mistake i was doing when i first drove a Auto in Oz

Dont break with the left foot

Your left foot will get loney at times, but its really simple to drive! just watch out for 3 way and 4 way junctions and pay more attention on the road than you would in Ireland as they are Very Very bad drivers!

Scruffy19 wrote: »
    Dont make the same mistake i was doing when i first drove a Auto in Oz

Dont break with the left foot

Your left foot will get loney at times, but its really simple to drive! just watch out for 3 way and 4 way junctions and pay more attention on the road than you would in Ireland as they are Very Very bad drivers!

the worst i've ever seen,

• Advertisement

Cheers mulbot and scruffy. Uhaul worked out great this weekend.

Advertisement