Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Vancouver Thread

Options
18910111214»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Liam90

Hey guys, I am what I think getting taxed a lot! I get payed every 2 weeks and I make usually about $1300-$1500 but usually about $300 of that is taken away from me in tax!

Does that sound right? To me it seems a bit excessive?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 onworld

Try running your details through this calculator...

ees-financial.com/calculators/TakeHomePayCalculator.htm

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I pay about 18-20% tax, so $300 out of $1500 sounds about right to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭el diablo

Sounds extremely reasonable to me.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

It's presumably not all technically tax (CPP etc.) but that seems about right for take-home pay to me.

• Advertisement

Sinfonia wrote: »
    It's presumably not all technically tax (CPP etc.) but that seems about right for take-home pay to me.

CPP will be separate on the paystub usually. $150 per week in tax is pretty tiny in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Theasal1234

Many people here working downtown? Would there be any interest in a Lunch group during the week?

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭MarkJD

I work and live downtown myself but this week is a bit mental. Where are you based yourself?

Also has anyone heard a few rumors that BC is going to be getting the license exchange as well? Will be getting a car soon and need to go to do the test etc but would much rather prefer to exchange it over.

MarkJD wrote: »
    I work and live downtown myself but this week is a bit mental. Where are you based yourself?

Also has anyone heard a few rumors that BC is going to be getting the license exchange as well? Will be getting a car soon and need to go to do the test etc but would much rather prefer to exchange it over.

BC and Alberta will get it eventually but it could take a VERY long time. You're probably better off just doing the driving test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭AmyPL

Yeah I wouldn't depend on that swap coming in anytime soon. Hoping to do the test soon myself. Pain in the arse!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭mulbot

MarkJD wrote: »

The ICBC in langley changed straight over last week for my workmate-i drove him down as he was told they would do it,he went in with his irish,changed it straight over,no test etc, which was annoying as i did my test a while back

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

mulbot wrote: »
    The ICBC in langley changed straight over last week for my workmate-i drove him down as he was told they would do it,he went in with his irish,changed it straight over,no test etc, which was annoying as i did my test a while back

Strange that as Ireland is not on the list of countries recognised by ICBC.

http://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing/moving-bc/Pages/Moving-from-another-country.aspx

They changed my learners permit straight for an L license alright, but other people I know with full Irish licenses had to sit the test.

Strange that as Ireland is not on the list of countries recognised by ICBC.

http://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing/moving-bc/Pages/Moving-from-another-country.aspx

They changed my learners permit straight for an L license alright, but other people I know with full Irish licenses had to sit the test.

I know yea,i had to do it too-He was told to go to Langley,i doubted it until we went down and he changed it

This is not true. There is no reciprocal agreement between BC and Ireland. He must've had a Norn Iron or GB driving licence.

el diablo wrote: »
    This is not true. There is no reciprocal agreement between BC and Ireland. He must've had a Norn Iron or GB driving licence.

It is true,why would i make that up? stupid statement really,no,he's from tallaght,and had a full irish license

It is true,why would i make that up? stupid statement really,no,he's from tallaght,and had a full irish license

So it looks like ICBC fúcked up and assumed Ireland was part of Great Britain.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭fergusb

it wouldn't be the first time that someone in Canada has assumed that!

Regularly get questions like:
    "You are part of Great Britain aren't you?"
    followed by "Are you sure?"
    then: "But you use the British Pound" or "You are part of the Commonwealth".

I usually end up calling them American, that shuts them up.

So it looks like ICBC fúcked up and assumed Ireland was part of Great Britain.

it's what i thought yea,i've no idea but as he was told to go to that office in Langley it probably seems somebody there thinks that.

fergusb wrote: »
    it wouldn't be the first time that someone in Canada has assumed that!

Regularly get questions like:
    "You are part of Great Britain aren't you?"
    followed by "Are you sure?"
    then: "But you use the British Pound" or "You are part of the Commonwealth".

I usually end up calling them American, that shuts them up.

That's exactly our experience and my response too-they really are a bit ignorant of their geography(and european history)

I wish they were as dumb at the Calgary registry. As soon as I mentioned I was from Ireland they asked me "Republic of Ireland or Northern Ireland" so unfortunately I have to do the test.
    I've been putting it off for over two year hoping for the reciprocal agreement to be in place. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

That's exactly our experience and my response too-they really are a bit ignorant of their geography(and european history)

Very true. Like the Americans, most of them have no clue about anything outside of North America.

Very true. Like the Americans, most of them have no clue about anything outside of North America.

Yea and it gets annoying,i even had one guy tell me ireland was beside austria!! The license thing is a joke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭AmyPL

Also very annoying that if you 'move' to BC, your license is valid for just 90 days, but if you're 'visiting' you get 6 months from the last time you crossed the border - source :confused:

I assume a WHV falls under the 'moving' category but it's not exactly clear.

The wait time for the test centre closest to me is >90 days anyway. :mad:

AmyPL wrote: »
    Also very annoying that if you 'move' to BC, your license is valid for just 90 days, but if you're 'visiting' you get 6 months from the last time you crossed the border - source :confused:

I assume a WHV falls under the 'moving' category but it's not exactly clear.

The wait time for the test centre closest to me is >90 days anyway. :mad:

Yea,it's such a confusing nonsense-when i got there first i was told 90 days,then a senior adjuster in an office emailed me to say my skilled permit allowed me to drive for 6 months-that was what i went with,always kept the email handy on my mobile!!

I know of someone else who managed to change their license over in Surrey as well. I went into the ICBC downtown and had no luck. I rang ICBC HQ in Victoria too and spoke to someone there who told me talks are in place with Ireland in relation to license changeover. She wouldnt expect it until the end of Summer and there is no Guarantee.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

And just to reiterate, driving standards in BC are possibly the lowest in North America.

The numerous times I've been in BC, its been startling how badly they drive. And thats coming up from the USA, where they drive like drunken old people.

So im sure loads already heard but 22nd of June is when the reciprocal agreement comes in for BC and Ireland? Havnt seen anything definitive but a good few confirmed on Facebook by ringing ICBC. Just got a car 2 weeks ago so delighted we hopefully wont have to do a test or anything.

Advertisement