Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Vancouver Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Shalamov

MarkJD wrote: »
    So i asked a page back for a load of advice on Vancouver. I was given the choice with work with Calgary and Vancouver. After a lot of thought we decided on Vancouver and just got confirmation Yesterday that we are all set. Going to be arriving in or around August the 22nd / 23rd after spending 3 weeks in Toronto. So big thanks to those who helped us with a load of information etc.

From my research it seems we couldn't be lading a worse time to get a place in the city when everyone is going to be going back to college etc. My idea is that we get a nice 1bed apartment or a serviced apartment that will get us until the end of September and hopefully we will have our own lease to start for the 1st of October. Im trying to find some cost effective places for us for those 38 nights. Does anyone have any recommendations? Ideally close to public transport or within the Downtown / Cambie St / Kitsilano areas if possible.

Iv been trying on AirBNB and some Serviced apartment places but it looks like it is going to cost us $3500 or more which seems a bit mental. I expect to pay a bit more for a serviced place on a short term lease but not nearly double what the rent might be for a 1 bed. Any recommendations? Having Wifi / Stable internet connection is going to be very important as i will be working from home during that period.

I arrived at the end of August last year and got a place with a year's lease pretty easily for September 1st. There were tons of places to view in the area I wanted to live (Kits) - prices ranged from reasonable to ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭MarkJD

Great thanks. Seems there are some landlords that would be willing to allow us do a lease from a few phone calls i made today. Id have to get some friends currently in Vancouver to go visit them but once i can provide all required documentation they said it should be fine.

Currently wanting to look around Cambie St, Kitsalano and willing to venture into Yaletown and W Georges St and other areas. Would you consider Cambie & W 16 Ave too far south or thats in a good part with good transport etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Great thanks. Seems there are some landlords that would be willing to allow us do a lease from a few phone calls i made today. Id have to get some friends currently in Vancouver to go visit them but once i can provide all required documentation they said it should be fine.

Currently wanting to look around Cambie St, Kitsalano and willing to venture into Yaletown and W Georges St and other areas. Would you consider Cambie & W 16 Ave too far south or thats in a good part with good transport etc?

We used this when we came back to Vancouver (North Van hse) and a mate used the one off Commercial Dr. It is good if you want a few weeks to get settled and they're furnished.

Make Yourself At Home

Great thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭paco451

Anyone about VC want to meet up? Just got here a few days ago!

• Advertisement

Anyone know of any good resources that i could use to work out exactly (down to the cent :)) what my take home pay is going to be after each pay cycle? I know there are certain tax bands as well as mandatory contributions etc. Ideally i wouldn't mind paying a tax consultant or someone qualified for a once off session to run through it all if anyone knows somebody or has recommendations.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭mulbot

Anyone know of any good resources that i could use to work out exactly (down to the cent :)) what my take home pay is going to be after each pay cycle? I know there are certain tax bands as well as mandatory contributions etc. Ideally i wouldn't mind paying a tax consultant or someone qualified for a once off session to run through it all if anyone knows somebody or has recommendations.

Thanks

in the same boat here,company did some calculations but i still dont know exactly

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I've been using this one (just to play around with, as I've no job lined up yet): http://www.ey.com/CA/en/Services/Tax/Tax-Calculators-2014-Personal-Tax

But I've just been looking at the Tax Payable and After Tax Income columns. I've no idea what the other ones mean.

Thanks Faith. Have you found it hard to get a job there? Wife is hoping to pick something up when she gets over there

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I'm not there yet. We're heading over on August 16th. I'm going to start some pretty intensive networking at the start of August, and try to arrange as many informal chats with people in my field as I can manage once I'm there. That'll be on top of applying for advertised jobs. I'm positive I'll get something; I'm just not sure how long it will take.

• Advertisement

Sounds good. Will get her to start doing the same. She will be sitting around in Toronto for 3 weeks a the start of August so be good to use that time for that sort of stuff.

We found a place we like and had a friend go do a viewing. Agency looking after the property allow out of country applications so we submit ours earlier. Now the waiting game.

Well we got accepted and have signed our lease. Really happy that we managed to get a place before going over. A bit odd not actually seeing it ourselves but we had videos / pictures and our friend there which helped. PRocess has been fairly easy to be honest but im sure the willingness of some landlords / agencies will differ. Just a note to others that it is possible and not as hard as you might think.

Biggest thing is that someone has to see the property whether it is you or someone on your behalf.

Anyway. Anyone know of any Ice Hockey Beer Leagues / Teams that might be looking for new people? Played ice hockey for a few years when i was 15 but i would be fairly rusty now. Failing that id be interested in any weekly astro games or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Stinjy

If you find a beer league MarkJD let us know.. Will need to join one when I get over, withdrawal symptoms from hockey over here since the Christmas rinks were closed :(

Definitely... Failing finding one we can start our own and just drink beer until we fill the team :)

I hear having one of these in Vancouver is handy haha

growler%20beer.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Stinjy

Definitely... Failing finding one we can start our own and just drink beer until we fill the team :)

I hear having one of these in Vancouver is handy haha

growler%20beer.jpg

Sounds like a plan!! Should have a team in no time :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭shalalala

I just got my poe! So surprised and happy. Will be heading over next spring summer I would say. It is looking like I will be going solo. Very excited about the whole thing so any updates that I need to know from anyone already there is greatly appreciated!

Any recommendations for bank?

Im leaning towards RBC but also considering TD.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭ustari

Went with TD, unlimited banking for 15 a month. Free android tablet if you sign up before end of month and do a few things before mid Sept.

Think RBC are offering free iPad but don't know what their services are like. Just be careful in that if you don't get an unlimited plan online purchases, money transfers etc all count as transactions.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Against

TD have long opening hours too, which can be handy.

I went with CIBC myself, no fees as long as your balance is above 1000$ and their internet banking is pretty good (for a Canadian bank).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

Any interest in a Boardies Vancouver meet up some night? I mainly say it for selfish reasons as I know f*ck all people here and wouldn't mind a few pints with some Irish!

• Advertisement

Im still in Toronto at the moment with work and will be arriving in BC around the 23rd of August. Will definately be up for some scoops if others are as well. I went with RBC in the end. Similar to the TD offering for $15 a month except you get an iPad mini. Had a friend with them and said they were good so just went with what was easy. A branch / atm right across the road from our apartment too so that helps.

Any suggestions on a service provider for cell phone / Internet / TV? Was originally looking at Telus as they offered 50% discount for the first 6 months and when you add the mobility packages you get further discounts. With 20-50Mbps (I dont like that they immediately dont guarantee what you pay for) Internet plan and something like 200 Channels with 70HD ones that works out about $65 for 6 months then $130 thereafter. The mobility plans you can do a share plan of splitting 2GB between two phones thats working out about $145 a month for both.\

After some research seems Telus dont have the best rep for service and constant speeds (known for bad congestion) been checking out another called Novus which seems good for guaranteed 50MB but less channels thats about $75 a month. Then started looking at Fido and Kodoo as they have good unlimited international text plans bundled it would seem.

Any suggestions / tips from those on plans or experience with any companies?

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭fergusb

I'm with Telus, they're grand. My apartment block had a deal for 12 months free (internet and TV). So couldn't really argue with that. In general the price of TV/Internet in Van isn't great. Also canadian TV is crap. It sounds like Novus would be a better option and just rely on internet for watching tv. I was considering getting rid of my TV package altogether. Might do it next year. I'd say I've watch actual TV less than 5 times in the last month!

Also consider the contracts you sign up to, most telco's are looking for 3 year contracts unless you specifically ask otherwise.

For phone I'm with Fido, find them great, its a monthly contract so can move easily, data speeds are good, and coverage also very good. The unlimited international texts is definitely handy.

Sounds good. Think our building had 6 months half price or something which i was considering. Will definitely check them out though. That Fido plan you are on how much is it a month and what is your data allowance? Did you use your own phone or get one with them?

Its 60 before tax i think, and comes with canada-wide calling, visual voicemail and caller id. 1Gb data (think extra gb is $8). and Unlimited international sms and minutes. They usually have deals on for between 50-60 depending on how much data you want.

I used my own phone, if you buy a phone through Fido, I think you have to sign a 2 year contract which I'm not a fan of.

If you want a free $25 dollars, I can refer you, we both get $25
    http://www.fido.ca/web/content/whyfido/referafriend

Ok thanks might try pit them off each other! I like that they give you the unlimited International minutes. I stopped in a Rogers at lunch there and for $80 a month myself and the wife can get 1GB Data each. Unlimited Canada wide calling, texts, pictures, videos and voicemail with unlimited international texts worldwide and preferred rates for US & International calls. They will give her the S4 for free and then charge me $40 for a S5 on a 2yr plan. I dont mind the plan so much its about the reduced cost for the phone..

Seems good but gonna try weigh up Fido.

can anyone tell me if canadians work week in hand? i'm two weeks before moving and i've just thought about this, sent an email to the compant just now but wanted to see what the usual situation is. I know i will get paid every two weeks but now i just wonder will i work two weeks in hand,does that mean then i wouldn't get my first pay until the end of 4th week?

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Scruffy19

mulbot wrote: »
    can anyone tell me if canadians work week in hand? i'm two weeks before moving and i've just thought about this, sent an email to the compant just now but wanted to see what the usual situation is. I know i will get paid every two weeks but now i just wonder will i work two weeks in hand,does that mean then i wouldn't get my first pay until the end of 4th week?

From my experience so far - No!

For example my payroll works like this:
    Cut off date 7th and 21st of every month and will be payed on the 15th and the last day either 30th/31st.

When you join, you work as normal to the cut of date and you will receive that pay when the company pays every employee. So if u started working on the 8th of the month. What ever dates you work between then and the cut of date, you will receive that the following week!

Some companies work different, then above is based on 3 firms I have worked for here!

Scruffy19 wrote: »
    From my experience so far - No!

For example my payroll works like this:
    Cut off date 7th and 21st of every month and will be payed on the 15th and the last day either 30th/31st.

When you join, you work as normal to the cut of date and you will receive that pay when the company pays every employee. So if u started working on the 8th of the month. What ever dates you work between then and the cut of date, you will receive that the following week!

Some companies work different, then above is based on 3 firms I have worked for here!

thanks.good to know.i'll see what my crowd get back to me with aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭micayla

Hey, so I'm hoping to move over next month, just wondering, do you need to have a return ticket for your flight or will a one way ticket be fine?

• Advertisement

A one-way tickets should be enough as long as you have evidence of the ability to be able to purchase a return flight (proof of funds). At least I've never heard of anyone on a one way having issues.

Bear in mind that with most of the airlines a return ticket is cheaper than a one-way. Usually you can change the return date up to 12 months, or cancel it and get the taxes paid back at the least.

Advertisement