Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Vancouver Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭fergusb

750GB a month you should never get near. Works out at 25gb a day. So unless you spend 24 hours a day streaming HD tv you should be ok!

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭MarkJD

Oh good perspective :) Ye definately wont be doing that.. I will be working from home 80% of the time so that was another concern but that will be Lync Calls, Emails nothing huge i wouldnt imagine.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Well, we signed up with Shaw this morning and got an email early this evening to say they'll be out tomorrow afternoon, so happy days :)

Faith wrote: »
    Well, we signed up with Shaw this morning and got an email early this evening to say they'll be out tomorrow afternoon, so happy days :)

They said they'd be here between 2 and 4... He arrived at about 2.15, spent 2 minutes installing, 5 minutes chatting and headed off, leaving us with a perfect internet connection. That kind of efficiency would be unheard of at home!

Glad it went well. Novus is activating ours remotely on Friday. Hopefully its as easy.

We are finding it really hard to get a tall room fan anywhere. We have tried Bestbuy, FutureShop, Canadian Tire, Home Depot just cant get one anywhere. One of the Lasko 42" fans seem like they would be the best ones. It seems available online but shipping is rediculous at $40 or more.

Anyone else got any reccomendations?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭ustari

We were out in Canadian Tire a few weeks ago and managed to get the last one there at the time. There wasn't any there yesterday either.

Have you tried London Drugs?
    Think they might have them iirc.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I'm hosting an event at the Canadian Museum of Flight in Langley on Sunday at 11 off anyone cares.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I'm hosting an event at the Canadian Museum of Flight in Langley on Sunday at 11 off anyone cares.

That actually sounds cool, but we've no car at the moment and Langley is a bit far via transit :(

Our apartment is south facing and Jesus Christ I've rarely sweated as much as I did today putting together the ikea furniture! Well definitely need to invest in a fan too so I'm interested in where they're available - even though it'll be autumn soon enough. What kind of prices are they?

Yea no car either Manic and still got lots to do with putting stuff together this weekend so it will take up most our time but best of luck with it.

London Drugs didnt have any either and some places have said they are done for the summer with fans... Staples didnt even have any. Just going to have to pay the high shipping charge i think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭mulbot

Hi guys,got here yesterday,company has me out in langley,quite far out but getting me transport so it's not the end of world-where abouts are most located? Partner and child will be moving out,but Lngley won't suit so any ideas for me where to look, we want somewhere a bit closer to Downtown with easier transport options etc,thanks in advance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

I'm heading on holiday to Vancouver next Friday, can't wait to see the place again! I did a stint there back in 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭IrishTeddi

Hey guys,

I'm moving to Vancouver in just under 2 weeks time. I was wondering if you have any advice that you wish you knew before you landed?

I'm one of the rare few who's actually landed myself a job before getting there ( a long 5 week slog of interviews and tests- I'm in Graphic Design) So it's good that I have that support before getting there. Will that be of benefit apart from the financial support? (I wonder if I still need to have 2,500 in my account if I have a job going over? though they'd probably want to see my job offer letter).

When I land, I'll have three days before I have to start my job. Can I get my phone/bank setup over the weekend? Or is that only a Monday to Friday service like over here?

If I'm setting up a bank account there, I take it that I'll be providing them evidence of where I'm living. Do I just provide them the location of where I'm temporarily staying? i.e My Airbnb location? I'm staying with someone from Airbnb for the first 18 days of my stay.

Thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭11811

IrishTeddi wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I'm moving to Vancouver in just under 2 weeks time. I was wondering if you have any advice that you wish you knew before you landed?

I'm one of the rare few who's actually landed myself a job before getting there ( a long 5 week slog of interviews and tests- I'm in Graphic Design) So it's good that I have that support before getting there. Will that be of benefit apart from the financial support? (I wonder if I still need to have 2,500 in my account if I have a job going over? though they'd probably want to see my job offer letter).

When I land, I'll have three days before I have to start my job. Can I get my phone/bank setup over the weekend? Or is that only a Monday to Friday service like over here?

If I'm setting up a bank account there, I take it that I'll be providing them evidence of where I'm living. Do I just provide them the location of where I'm temporarily staying? i.e My Airbnb location? I'm staying with someone from Airbnb for the first 18 days of my stay.

Thank you :)

First thing you'll need to do is sort out a Social Insurance Number, you'll need it for work I'd imagine - its the same as a PPS number. You'll have to go to a service Canada center for that, there's one located in downtown Vancouver. However, its only open Mon - Friday. But its a fairly quick and straight forward affair.

When getting this just use your temporary Air BnB address, they'll then give you a letter with your SIN, which you can also use a proof of address for setting up a back account. Once you have a bank account opened (again quite straight forward) up you can change your address easily on line.

If you want to get a month to month billed phone, you can do this quite quickly once you have a bank account. Also most of the phone companies will give you a slight discount if you bring your own handset.

I think I'd like to have been better prepared for how long a flight it is, and how tired you'll be when you arrive! Really do your best to sleep on the plane if you can.

When you land, you first go through border control. Hand them the form you're given on the plane and tell them you're here for a 2-year working holiday visa. They just need to know that to tick a box on the form, and they'll direct you to to immigration. You collect your bags first, then head to immigration (you have to leave your bags outside again, but someone keeps an eye on them). It can take a while to get your work permit - I think we sat there for about 20 minutes before being called up, then another 10 or so while the permit was being prepared. Lines and be longer too, depending on how many are waiting. The girl ahead of us said her friend was waiting 2 hours, so don't make plans for immediately off the plane.

You will still need to provide proof of funds, insurance and your POE.

Once that's done, you can just sail out of the airport into a nearby waiting taxi!

Where are you staying? The sky train is brilliant, but you can often have to walk quite a bit to get to a station. The buses are great too, but they'll only take exact change - it's $2.75 for a fare, and you can use that on buses or sky trains within the zone(s) you've paid for for 90 minutes. Tickets can be bought at machines at sky train stations that will give you change or accept cards. If you can, and you'll be using transit a bit, then get weekly passes until you can get a monthly one - these are only available for full Calendar months, so if you arrive mid-September, you can't get one until October (well, you can, but you'll pay for the full month).

11811 wrote: »
    First thing you'll need to do is sort out a Social Insurance Number, you'll need it for work I'd imagine - its the same as a PPS number. You'll have to go to a service Canada center for that, there's one located in downtown Vancouver. However, its only open Mon - Friday. But its a fairly quick and straight forward affair.

When getting this just use your temporary Air BnB address, they'll then give you a letter with your SIN, which you can also use a proof of address for setting up a back account. Once you have a bank account opened (again quite straight forward) up you can change your address easily on line.

If you want to get a month to month billed phone, you can do this quite quickly once you have a bank account. Also most of the phone companies will give you a slight discount if you bring your own handset.

Thank you! That's handy to know. In that case, will I be without a phone until I get my bank situation sorted?

I think I'd like to have been better prepared for how long a flight it is, and how tired you'll be when you arrive! Really do your best to sleep on the plane if you can.

When you land, you first go through border control. Hand them the form you're given on the plane and tell them you're here for a 2-year working holiday visa. They just need to know that to tick a box on the form, and they'll direct you to to immigration. You collect your bags first, then head to immigration (you have to leave your bags outside again, but someone keeps an eye on them). It can take a while to get your work permit - I think we sat there for about 20 minutes before being called up, then another 10 or so while the permit was being prepared. Lines and be longer too, depending on how many are waiting. The girl ahead of us said her friend was waiting 2 hours, so don't make plans for immediately off the plane.

Once that's done, you can just sail out of the airport into a nearby waiting taxi!

Where are you staying? The sky train is brilliant, but you can often have to walk quite a bit to get to a station. The buses are great too, but they'll only take exact change - it's $2.75 for a fare, and you can use that on buses or sky trains within the zone(s) you've paid for for 90 minutes. Tickets can be bought at machines at sky train stations that will give you change or accept cards. If you can, and you'll be using transit a bit, then get weekly passes until you can get a monthly one - these are only available for full Calendar months, so if you arrive mid-September, you can't get one until October (well, you can, but you'll pay for the full month).

Thanks Faith!

I'm staying near Mount Pleasant. I think I'm going to take some sleeping pills with me for the flight! Regarding the immigration process, I first fly into Toronto, then on to Vancouver. Which airport am I to get the work visa through? If it's at Toronto, that's a worrying thought as I only have a 1 hour 40 minute stop over until getting my next flight. If it has to be organized at Vancouver International, that's fine. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Thanks Faith!

I'm staying near Mount Pleasant. I think I'm going to take some sleeping pills with me for the flight! Regarding the immigration process, I first fly into Toronto, then on to Vancouver. Which airport am I to get the work visa through? If it's at Toronto, that's a worrying thought as I only have a 1 hour 40 minute stop over until getting my next flight. If it has to be organized at Vancouver International, that's fine. :)

In my opinion, it is unwise to take sleeping pills for a flight heading west. You need to adjust to the new timezone as quickly as possible and taking any kind of pill will only delay this.

You will have to do immigration in Toronto. Not sure if 1 hour 40 minutes would be enough time to do it.

Thank you! That's handy to know. In that case, will I be without a phone until I get my bank situation sorted?

If you're getting a contract, yes, you can't get one until you have a phone. A rolling month-to-month contract is better value than PAYG.
    Thanks Faith!

Eep, yeah, you'll have to go through at Toronto. Maybe let them know that you have a connecting flight and they can fast track you. But I'm pretty sure you have to collect your bags in Toronto too, and re-check them (from what I've read on this forum, but I could be mistaken). Could you switch to a later flight to vancouver? Our plane landed at about 5.35pm and I think we walked out the doors of the airport at about 7ish, having done everything.

If you're getting a contract, yes, you can't get one until you have a phone. A rolling month-to-month contract is better value than PAYG.

Eep, yeah, you'll have to go through at Toronto. Maybe let them know that you have a connecting flight and they can fast track you. But I'm pretty sure you have to collect your bags in Toronto too, and re-check them (from what I've read on this forum, but I could be mistaken). Could you switch to a later flight to vancouver? Our plane landed at about 5.35pm and I think we walked out the doors of the airport at about 7ish, having done everything.

Thanks for that Faith. My brother (who takes about 20 flights a year with his work) said that if you're with the same airline, that you don't need to re-check your bags. I'm going with Aer Lingus for both flights so he said that it's not something you need to factor in?

I think I'm going to contact Aer Lingus tomorrow and ask them if this is the case. If so, that would save a good bit of time in the airport. Do you think 1 hr 45 would be sufficient to go through immigration and not have to re-check the bags?

• Advertisement

Thanks for that Faith. My brother (who takes about 20 flights a year with his work) said that if you're with the same airline, that you don't need to re-check your bags. I'm going with Aer Lingus for both flights so he said that it's not something you need to factor in?

I think I'm going to contact Aer Lingus tomorrow and ask them if this is the case. If so, that would save a good bit of time in the airport. Do you think 1 hr 45 would be sufficient to go through immigration and not have to re-check the bags?

Unfortunately, to go through border control, you have to collect your bags at Toronto airport :(. From their website:
    Connecting to a Domestic flight in Terminals 1 & 3

Toronto Pearson is your first point of entry into Canada. Therefore, even if your baggage is tagged through to your final destination, you are required to pick them up for Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) processing. Once you have been processed by CBSA, follow the signs for connections and drop off your bags at the Connecting Baggage Belt. Follow the or connections signs to your connecting gate. Flights departing from gates are located in Terminal 3. Flights departing from gates are located in Terminal 1. Please note you will be required to undergo security screening prior to entering the departure gate area.

http://www.torontopearson.com/Connecting_international.aspx#

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Your bags will be tagged through to Vancouver, but you will need to collect them in Toronto and place them on a separate belt where they will be taken to your connecting flight. You don't need to do the full check-in procedure again.

One other consideration is that you will need to go through security again in Toronto.

Ohhh, thank you both for that information.

So to clarify, I need to pick up my bags in Toronto, but I don't have to que up to book them in a second time? Just pick them up and drop them at a new location?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 LittleRxx

micayla wrote: »
    I'm heading over in 3 weeks, I'm heading over on my own so am looking for shared accommodation, haven't seen it mentioned on the thread but I've been looking on easyroommate.com if anyone else is going it alone and want shared housing. Getting pretty excited! Cheers for this thread, it's really helpful :)

you should check out padmapper too, they have rooms to rent on it for fairly decent prices. Me and my sister are using the app to look for places and it updates me of new listings every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 ellenellen

Thanks for posting all the info. Moving over in a few weeks and found this thread very helpful!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

There aren't any weekly transit passes. You either get a calendar month, or get the book of 10 for $21 in london drugs or 7/11 or something..

Aren't there? My mistake! I may have been thinking of the book of 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭murdog!

Hi folks, just wondering what the craic is with driving in Canada? Is it cool to drive on an Irish licence and what is the set up regarding NCT/Tax/Insurance?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭mulbot

murdog! wrote: »
    Hi folks, just wondering what the craic is with driving in Canada? Is it cool to drive on an Irish licence and what is the set up regarding NCT/Tax/Insurance?

u can only use irish license for 3 months,then change,u need insurance,no tax

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 Vancouv

Hi All,
    Re: e-medical

I have an issue and hoping someone here can help. Myself and a friend arrived in Vancouver on Sat 13th Sept. My friends visa was processed and it stated on it that she can not work in childcare. ( We know she is allowed work in childcare once she has her e-medical done). She completed her medical in the Mater Private in Dublin and it was meant to be submitted electronically to Immigration in Canada but in the airport they said they never received it.

Mine went through fine. We rang the Mater this morning and they were not helpful at all. I have emailed someone within the visa centre in the Mater and have to wait to hear back. Not expecting much! As they told her she would have to come into the Mater and re-do it!! It cost E305 , not to mention we are in Canada!!

Has anyone else had an issue like this? Immigration told her that she will have to cross the border into America when the Mater resolve this at their end and then come back in with proof of the medical and they will give her a new visa.
    Worrying!
    She is completely stuck now as she is qualified in childcare and that was all she intended to work in. Any help much appreciated.

Advertisement