Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Vancouver Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,567 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Just to let people know...they removed that stupid steamclock today from Gastown, for how long I don't know. But, its already a good day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 lalaforever

Hey guys,
    Is there another meetup happening

soon? Ive meet quite a few Canadians

but noticed that they can be a little

cliquey so im looking to meet some

fellow travellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Gintonious wrote: »
    Just to let people know...they removed that stupid steamclock today from Gastown, for how long I don't know. But, its already a good day.

Being serviced. Back for Christmas you'll be glad to hear :D

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Theasal1234

Hey guys,

fellow travellers.

The

Spacing

is

killing

me

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Hey guys,

fellow travellers.

You can always arrange one yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 Theasal1234

Hear ye, hear ye! What say people, will we begin a boards.ie of Vancouver meetup one Friday a month commencing 17th October? Just to get suggestions flowing for the venue, how about we say Malones on Seymour and Pender. If that's ok with Faith? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Scruffy19

Hear ye, hear ye! What say people, will we begin a boards.ie of Vancouver meetup one Friday a month commencing 17th October? Just to get suggestions flowing for the venue, how about we say Malones on Seymour and Pender. If that's ok with Faith? ;)

Did the one the other night take place?

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Stinjy

I like this idea but good luck getting everyone every month... though it's worth a shot! I'll join ye in November :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭THEZAPPA

I'm up for this in November!

It's got nothing to do with me :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 bobbygyrl

Hi everyone, I'm a long time stalker of all threads to do with Canada!!

I got my IEC Visa in the first round and plan to head to Vancouver. Thinking of heading over around February (nothing definite yet). Ideally I would like to have secured a job before arriving. Is this possible? Has anyone had a job arranged prior to departure and if so how did you go about getting it? My area of work is Admin but I'm willing to turn my hand to anything. I would just feel better knowing I had something arranged when going over. I don't mind it it's only temporary work or even working through a recruitment agency. Thanks in advance for any replies or suggestions.

(PS I promise not to stalk you anymore!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭guest124

Hey all! I'm heading over in January and I'm wondering about phones! I'm on payg here but my phone broke last week. I'm not sure if I should get a cheap phone to do me until I get settled over there or get a decent phone and have it unlocked for Canadian sim??

Is there a decent payg network over there or is it generally contract?

PAYG is very expensive - well, all plans are here, compared to home, but PAYG is particularly bad, I believe. You can get rolling monthly contracts though, so that's what we went with. I'd bring your own phone if you can. Without a credit history here, you'll find it very hard to get a plan with a phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 bobbygyrl

Hi, will all sim free phones work over there?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

It depends on what gsm frequency bands the phone uses.

If you check your phone on http://www.gsmarena.com/ that should give you a list of which bands your phone can use.

Then just google the operator to find out which bands they support.

Thanks for all the information! Much appreciated. May I ask which network you went with, Faith?

We went with Fido. We wanted plenty of data so we got a plan with 1GB per month. It was $60 pm plus tax, then we got a 10% discount for having our own phones, so we pay $60pm total. We get 1GB of data, free local and international texts, and some other bits and pieces.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭mulbot

guest124 wrote: »
    Hey all! I'm heading over in January and I'm wondering about phones! I'm on payg here but my phone broke last week. I'm not sure if I should get a cheap phone to do me until I get settled over there or get a decent phone and have it unlocked for Canadian sim??

Is there a decent payg network over there or is it generally contract?

hey,have you a job,if so you won't have a problem getting a contract here,you don't need to have credit built up either,KOOdoo are the best crowd for doing it-(it will be a lot cheaper plus you can do an international add-on where calls will only cost you 5 cent canadian, per minute

mulbot wrote: »
    hey,have you a job,if so you won't have a problem getting a contract here,you don't need to have credit built up either,KOOdoo are the best crowd for doing it-(it will be a lot cheaper plus you can do an international add-on where calls will only cost you 5 cent canadian, per minute

Nope, no job lined up! But I will look at Koodo aswel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭mulbot

ok,well if yu get your sin(like our social number back home) its all you need to get the contract,(oh and an address here)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

Anyone know a place I can get an iphone 4 unlocked??

• Registered Users Posts: 26 ellenellen

Does anyone know of a good place to get a cheap duvet and linens in Vancouver? Thanks!

ellenellen wrote: »
    Does anyone know of a good place to get a cheap duvet and linens in Vancouver? Thanks!

Winners or Homesense sometimes have good deals.

ciaran67 wrote: »
    Winners or Homesense sometimes have good deals.

Thanks! Ended up going to Ikea in Richmond and didn't break the bank.

Was the restaurant open in Ikea? The strike is over, but I wasn't sure if everything is back to normal yet or not.

I keep meeting Irish people recently. The guy who I bought wine from the other day was Irish, and I phoned a hairdresser this morning and had a chat with a girl who had a fine Dublin accent. We're everywhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Scruffy19

Faith wrote: »
    Was the restaurant open in Ikea? The strike is over, but I wasn't sure if everything is back to normal yet or not.

I keep meeting Irish people recently. The guy who I bought wine from the other day was Irish, and I phoned a hairdresser this morning and had a chat with a girl who had a fine Dublin accent. We're everywhere!

I only met a hand full of Irish last year from April till Xmas, then on the 12 pubs in Dec we where everywhere!

The restaurant is closed but the rest of the store is open. It says they're operating on reduced hours but it was open from 11-5 I think on Sunday so nothing too extreme.

Cool, I think it's supposed to be some time in November that they go back to normal. The one in Coquitlam is grand, it's just harder to get to so I'll be happy when the Richmond branch is back in action!

Cool, I think it's supposed to be some time in November that they go back to normal. The one in Coquitlam is grand, it's just harder to get to so I'll be happy when the Richmond branch is back in action!

Didnt realise the strike was over, I've been boycotting it. Poor buggers outside on the picket line for ever it seemed. That's why I didnt recommend to ellenellen :)

• Advertisement

Yeah, they resolved it a week or so ago, with the agreement that those who crossed the picket line would continue to have jobs there. I was wrong though; it'll be mid-December before it's back to full opening hours.

Advertisement