Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Vancouver Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Liam90

Staying in Vancouver a couple of days before moving on, can anyone recommend a decent motel in a good location to do the touristy things?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 26 ellenellen

Liam90 wrote: »
    Staying in Vancouver a couple of days before moving on, can anyone recommend a decent motel in a good location to do the touristy things?

Thanks

HI downtown is good. They have another location on Granville street but I heard it's not great but might be fine for just a few nights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

ellenellen wrote: »
    HI downtown is good. They have another location on Granville street but I heard it's not great but might be fine for just a few nights.

I stayed at the HI on Granville for 2 weeks. I thought is was great as far as hostels go, I couldn't complain about it.

I stayed at the HI on Granville for 2 weeks. I thought is was great as far as hostels go, I couldn't complain about it.

There were a few who had moved from the granville one at downtown but maybe it just wasn't for them. I'd never stayed in a HI before but will definitely check out their other branches whenever I travel again. Like you said great for a hostel.

I'm just after spending 2 months between all 3 hostels (Jericho Park is out of season ATM) I would definitely say that if you're up for partying, Granville St. Hi is where you want to go, and if you're looking for a bit more family-friendly & with a full kitchen, the one on Thurlow & Burnaby's your HI hostel. That said, I found the staff in all 3 very friendly & accomodating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 harryfan

Hi all

I'm hoping to apply for ice in 2015. I have 10 years banking experience(back office not retail or customer facing) but am only educated to leaving cert. What are my chances of getting an office job in Vancouver or Toronto?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2 harryfan

Sorry what happens with references.
    my hr department will only issue a standard one.

thanks guys

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭THEZAPPA

Hey all,

Arrived in Vancouver a few days ago. So far its great!

Anyone free to meet up at some stage? I've made one friend but would love to meet some irish especially as I'm female and came here alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭mulbot

THEZAPPA wrote: »
    Hey all,

Anyone free to meet up at some stage? I've made one friend but would love to meet some irish especially as I'm female and came here alone.

hey,welcome! whereabouts are you staying?

mulbot wrote: »
    hey,welcome! whereabouts are you staying?

Thank you! I'm staying in kits for the next 3 months after that who knows. Where abouts are you staying?

• Advertisement

Thank you! I'm staying in kits for the next 3 months after that who knows. Where abouts are you staying?

for now I'm a bit out from downtown,company has me put up for another while near Langley(aaagggh)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

Hey all,

Hey there is be happy to meet you.. Send me a pm.. Came over alone myself a few months back as well

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Stinjy

Hey all,

Hey I'm in the same boat as you living in Kerrisdale, came on my own what 3 days ago! I'm game for making friends :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Lorzy_

Hey all,

Hi, I live in the West End, been here 2 years. There are some good facebook pages out there for finding people to do things with. International travelers in Vancouver is one of the better ones.

Also Vibe Vancouver has a Friday Final Social once a month. Next one is Friday November 28th at Mahonys&Sons at Burrard Landing at 5pm. Never been to them before but I'm planning on heading to that one.

mulbot wrote: »
    for now I'm a bit out from downtown,company has me put up for another while near Langley(aaagggh)

Oh, that is far away :(
    Lorzy_ wrote: »
    Hi, I live in the West End, been here 2 years. There are some good facebook pages out there for finding people to do things with. International travelers in Vancouver is one of the better ones.

Also Vibe Vancouver has a Friday Final Social once a month. Next one is Friday November 28th at Mahonys&Sons at Burrard Landing at 5pm. Never been to them before but I'm planning on heading to that one.

Awesome, I joined some of the groups but most people just post about stuff they are selling rather than meeting up really. Seems most moved with friends or OH's so not as much into meeting others.

That sounds like fun, I think I will go to that!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Lorzy_

Oh, that is far away :(

Awesome, I joined some of the groups but most people just post about stuff they are selling rather than meeting up really. Seems most moved with friends or OH's so not as much into meeting others.

That sounds like fun, I think I will go to that!

I know, the selling stuff seems to take over most of those groups. Another good Facebook one is Vancouver Activity Group. Looks like they have organized a good few meet ups.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Liam90

I'm now looking to book accommodation for the first 2 weeks but everywhere requires a credit card, they will not accept my visa debit. What did everyone else do?

I'm now looking to book accommodation for the first 2 weeks but everywhere requires a credit card, they will not accept my visa debit. What did everyone else do?

did you say it was a visa? because they were reluctant ti accept mine in a phone shop until i showed it to them and they were like oh its a visa thats grand...

• Registered Users Posts: 14 rc015

That's what I thought initially too but they actually do all accept visa debit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 skierneil

Hey guys thanks for the thread and tips

Arrived in Vancouver Tuesday night, staying AirBnB currently and in the process of looking for somewhere more permanent to rent from Jan 1st.
    We realise most apartments are unfurnished but any tips on finding furnished apartments for rent at all?

We are looking in Kitsilano/Cambie/Main St mainly. We've seen a couple of likely looking apartments east of main st - and north of East Broadway. They are about 800 east block. Any ideas what these areas are like to live - one is close to railway lines which are sometimes not best parts of towns!

Any help appreciated - Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

To rent a furnished apartment, you'll pay a serious premium. In the long run, it's much cheaper to furnish your own place. Less than $1000 in Ikea will get you everything you need to begin with. For instance, we pay $1360 for a 1-bed apartment one block from the beach in Kits, including most bills. I saw an advert on a noticeboard for a furnished 1-bed apartment, much further south, for $1600 per month!

The only area that really needs to be avoided is the downtown east side, specifically between Main and East Hastings. Other that that, no neighbourhood in Vancouver is bad really. East Van is definitely cheaper than the west side, but places like Kits have the benefit of being so close to the beach, with spectacular views. It really depends on whether you prefer cheaper rent in older buildings in more hipster/bohemian neighbourhoods, or newer buildings near incredible scenery that you don't mind paying extra for.

And don't worry, it isn't always this rainy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

skierneil wrote: »

Arrived in Vancouver Tuesday night, staying AirBnB currently and in the process of looking for somewhere more permanent to rent from Jan 1st.
    We realise most apartments are unfurnished but any tips on finding furnished apartments for rent at all?

We are looking in Kitsilano/Cambie/Main St mainly. We've seen a couple of likely looking apartments east of main st - and north of East Broadway. They are about 800 east block. Any ideas what these areas are like to live - one is close to railway lines which are sometimes not best parts of towns!

All those areas are good as nearly all the city. North of E Hastings from Carrall to Campbell is to be avoided. Not cos its dangerous its just drug adicts and down and outs. Its quite obvious when you are there.

one is close to railway lines which are sometimes not best parts of towns!

Don't underestimate being close to the skytrain lines, they're the fastest and one of the best ways to get around... anywhere I've gotten on or off (usually on the canada line) I've always felt safe... dont think there are many places that arent great its kinda confined to one or two areas that other posters have mentioned :)

I'm just south of Broadway and between Main and Commercial and love the area. Close to plenty of buses and the Skytrain and if it's dry I can walk downtown in 40 min too. It's also very safe. Like it has been said before, you're probably best avoiding downtown Eastside around Hastings. I do some work around there and have never felt threatened but there are certainly crimes of opportunity like robberies due to the poverty and addiction problems a lot of people have there so probably not the best place for newcomers! There are some nice places in Strathcona however and it's a lot more residential and quiet than you'd think by looking at the location on the map. Don't know enough about Kits but Cambie and Main are great areas to live.

As for furniture, there are plenty of thrift stores around too and if you join some of the international/newcomers groups on Facebook you'll regularly see "moving out" sales from people at the end of their Visa getting rid of stuff at low prices.

Anybody heading to the Irish in Vancouver meet up later? Not able to post a link..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

No, it sounds like it'll be fun but we're giving it a miss because of time constraints.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

ellenellen wrote: »
    As for furniture, there are plenty of thrift stores

We got all ours from Craigslist and a couple of garage sales. All good stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 decos77

Hey,

Myself and the fiancé are moving over there on 13th for a year at first. I'm currently trying to organise a sublet for which is until end of February. The place is short term and on Scotia St./ 5th ave. Does anyone know much about this area?

Really excited and nervous now as I'm sure many of you have done. :) how's things on the job front? We are a graphic designer and software developer.

I have an irish driving licence, can I drive over there for any length of time or will I need to pass a test there? Is an international driving licence worth getting?

Any other tips before I leave that you would have like to know one week before leaving?

Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭fergusb

decos77 wrote: »
    Hey,

Myself and the fiancé are moving over there on 13th for a year at first. I'm currently trying to organise a sublet for which is until end of February. The place is short term and on Scotia St./ 5th ave. Does anyone know much about this area?
    Pretty good location I think, near Main St which has plenty bars/food options and close to the city.
    Really excited and nervous now as I'm sure many of you have done. :) how's things on the job front? We are a graphic designer and software developer.
    Not sure about graphic designer, but there is a booming market for software developers, although there is a lot of competition. Depending on experience you should be able to get a job ok, a lot of IT jobs are based in Burnaby. What type of developer?
    I have an irish driving licence, can I drive over there for any length of time or will I need to pass a test there? Is an international driving licence worth getting?
    You can use your Irish license for 3 months, International driving license is pointless I believe. But if you want to drive you are required to pass the test (currently). there is talk of a swap program coming in but who knows when that will happen. The test is a pain, not hard but annoying to have to do.
    Any other tips before I leave that you would have like to know one week before leaving?
    bring an umbrella

• Advertisement

Hey,

Many thanks

hey,I think i answered this in a very early post(wrongly),but anyway,you can drive here under Irish license for 6 months,100% certain of this

Advertisement