Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Vancouver Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭shalalala

Anyone flown with westjet? They are far cheaper then aerlingus but just want to make sure that they are comfortable etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 decos77

fergusb wrote: »
    Pretty good location I think, near Main St which has plenty bars/food options and close to the city.

Not sure about graphic designer, but there is a booming market for software developers, although there is a lot of competition. Depending on experience you should be able to get a job ok, a lot of IT jobs are based in Burnaby. What type of developer?

bring an umbrella

Thanks very much. Useful information there. I'm a java developer this pasts 2 and half years.
    It's good to hear that software fairly lively over there. Are you in software yourself?

Don't worry the umbrella will probably be bought as soon as I land. Hopefully the winter will end soon after in March or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭fergusb

mulbot wrote: »
    hey,I think i answered this in a very early post(wrongly),but anyway,you can drive here under Irish license for 6 months,100% certain of this

100% certain???? ICBC would seem to disagree with you on that one

"Welcome to B.C.! You have 90 days to switch over your licence after moving to B.C."
    http://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing/moving-bc/Pages/Default.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭storykid

shalalala wrote: »
    Anyone flown with westjet? They are far cheaper then aerlingus but just want to make sure that they are comfortable etc.

I have and they were brilliant. My flight was delayed and they gave me free meal vouchers and paid for my taxi home from the airport. Customer service was top class. Had no issues with discomfort on the flight either, really good service.

storykid wrote: »
    I have and they were brilliant. My flight was delayed and they gave me free meal vouchers and paid for my taxi home from the airport. Customer service was top class. Had no issues with discomfort on the flight either, really good service.

Thank you! So reassuring to hear! Half the price of Aerlingus and you want to be comfortable on such a long journey! Was the entertainment any good?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Random Integer

So I'll be arriving in Vancouver on the 26th, have a place to stay for the first couple of weeks and pretty much nothing sorted beyond that. Not sure how its going to work out for me job wise as Ive spent the past four years working as an Archaeologist and Im doubting thats a booming industry in British Columbia at the moment. I have a degree in Computing Science and experience in IT prior to the Archaeology, as well as still doing bits of web development/networking/tech support etc. in between the fieldwork but I don't know how well that well serve me if competition is fierce for jobs. But I've got enough savings to a few months so at least I'll have an extended holiday if nothing else.

I've got some probably pretty stupid questions that might have been asked and answered a million times already but I've had a look and haven't seen anything so bear with me if I'm retreading old ground:

Looking at accommodation prices North Vancouver seems to be more reasonably priced than other areas but does anyone know what the transport links are like between there and the rest of the city?

Is Vancouver a big car city? Generally I prefer to walk or get public transport so Id rather avoid any areas that require a car to get about and do anything

This might seem daft but whats required for a landlords reference? I've only ever rented from family and friends and generally they already knew who I was so I didn't need a reference. Also credit checks, I don't think I have a credit rating here never mind in Canada, is that going to be a stumbling block?

Whats a decent bank (Ive heard Scotia Bank are alright) and what service did people use to transfer money between their bank account here and in Canada?

Is supporting the Canucks mandatory? Because they seem like they kinda suck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

So I'll be arriving in Vancouver on the 26th, have a place to stay for the first couple of weeks and pretty much nothing sorted beyond that. Not sure how its going to work out for me job wise as Ive spent the past four years working as an Archaeologist and Im doubting thats a booming industry in British Columbia at the moment. I have a degree in Computing Science and experience in IT prior to the Archaeology, as well as still doing bits of web development/networking/tech support etc. in between the fieldwork but I don't know how well that well serve me if competition is fierce for jobs. But I've got enough savings to a few months so at least I'll have an extended holiday if nothing else.

I've got some probably pretty stupid questions that might have been asked and answered a million times already but I've had a look and haven't seen anything so bear with me if I'm retreading old ground:

Looking at accommodation prices North Vancouver seems to be more reasonably priced than other areas but does anyone know what the transport links are like between there and the rest of the city?

Is Vancouver a big car city? Generally I prefer to walk or get public transport so Id rather avoid any areas that require a car to get about and do anything

This might seem daft but whats required for a landlords reference? I've only ever rented from family and friends and generally they already knew who I was so I didn't need a reference. Also credit checks, I don't think I have a credit rating here never mind in Canada, is that going to be a stumbling block?

Whats a decent bank (Ive heard Scotia Bank are alright) and what service did people use to transfer money between their bank account here and in Canada?

In my experience...

North Van has 2 bridges and the Seabus with buses. It looks like a nice place to live but it's a bit away from downtown and there's no Skytrain there. I think you would need a car to live there but that's just my opinion.

There is a lot of cars but it's also public transport friendly. The buses are ok and the Skytrain is good (but sometimes prone to major faults). There's also decent cycling infrastructure around.

You won't have a credit history when you get to Canada, but landlords will take references from your employer in Canada and/or bank accounts showing savings etc..

I hear Scotia are good, as are BMO. TD are also mentioned. I really don't think there's much to pick between the major banks. VanCity is pretty popular too, but that's closer to a credit union.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Scruffy19

Lived in North Vancouver for almost two years and I would not live any where else in the city! Everyone talks about the west end (to over priced), kits (pretty much the same), and east Vancouver (isn't bad if you live near the sky train stations).
    In North Van the closer you live towards the water the better it is. I lived on 1st street, 2 min walk to the bus depo and seabus! Never had a car until last June. Had no need for it, only wanted it for weekend trips away in the summer etc thats it!

Public transport is excellent through out the city so you should have no worries there.

Where you living when you arrive? Hostel or kipping at a mates house? If its a mates you can always use them as a reference etc or like the above poster said maybe your new boss!

All the banks seem to do good offers but I preferred TD due to the opening hours and the fact they where just outside my building so it made it really handy!

And yes the Canucks suck :P:P:P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭mulbot

100% certain???? ICBC would seem to disagree with you on that one

"Welcome to B.C.! You have 90 days to switch over your licence after moving to B.C."
    http://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing/moving-bc/Pages/Default.aspx

It's 6 months for irish license holders-100% certain

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Stinjy

decos77 wrote: »
    Hey,

I have an irish driving licence, can I drive over there for any length of time or will I need to pass a test there? Is an international driving licence worth getting?

Any other tips before I leave that you would have like to know one week before leaving?

Many thanks

Hey, So I've moved here recently and have been looking into the whole driving thing (I've an uncle who wants me to be able to drive his car etc..) anyway what I have found is you have 3 months (or 90 days ) to switch your licence, but seen as you don't have a firm plan to stay get an international driving permit (IDP) available from the aa in Ireland they're E15 and they last a year. (you can apply from Canada) At least this is what I'll be doing afaik you can get another one next year. If you do plan to stay and you want a class 5 BC licence you can take their test if you've had an Irish licence for more than two years, if you haven't had your licence for 2 years or more you have to go through their graduated driving program which takes 3 years to complete which would obviously be a waste to start if you're only planning on the two years :) - hope this helps!

other tips: Bring waterproofs! It's bloody wet, though the rain actually makes it warmer!

If you want to check out jobs I've found a site called indeed.ca to be the best though I'm open to corrections on this!!

As for transport- There are so many cars.. everywhere... it's crazy, the change in volume of traffic in the last 10 years has been crazy! if you're living in Vancouver (as opposed to near it like Surrey/Langly etc) Transport I have found to be fantastic! yes it's a bit packed at rush hour but generally its efficient and reliable though I'm sure there's many stories that would prove otherwise. When looking for accommodation I'd say look for somewhere not too far from a skytrain it will cut your travel time.

Banks - I went with TD because it is local, to transfer money I just went onto my bank acc at home and transferred money internationally.. I think they charged like E10 but I thought it was worth it to have no ''Middle man'' and get it done quickly and safely!

The Canucks are an interesting team... Last year they really sucked but they're headed for big things.. Back to the old Nucks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭storykid

Thank you! So reassuring to hear! Half the price of Aerlingus and you want to be comfortable on such a long journey! Was the entertainment any good?

Where are you flying to/from? I didn't realize they flew outside of Canada. I've only ever used them flying within Canada. They had a few tv channels on my flight but im sure they'll have alot better selection trans Atlantic. They have a couple of new brand new planes in their fleet as well, its a growing airline. Canadian guys I work with have all had good experiences with them also.

storykid wrote: »
    Where are you flying to/from? I didn't realize they flew outside of Canada. I've only ever used them flying within Canada. They had a few tv channels on my flight but im sure they'll have alot better selection trans Atlantic. They have a couple of new brand new planes in their fleet as well, its a growing airline. Canadian guys I work with have all had good experiences with them also.

You have made up my mind! Sky scanner said they flew Dublin to Vancouver with one stop.

You have made up my mind! Sky scanner said they flew Dublin to Vancouver with one stop.

I looked into them before.... and it isn't quite 1 stop from what I could understand. You make a stop in Toronto first, but then the next flight is via St Johns, its the same plane, so I believe they don't count it as a stop..... Maybe its changed but bear it in mind in case you get a bit of a surprise if they stop in St Johns on the way!

Actually, I wonder if this is the case, do you do your Canada Immigration in St Johns as from St Johns to Toronto would be classified as an internal flight? And if so, would the 2 hours be enough time to do it if there's a queue etc.....

I looked into them before.... and it isn't quite 1 stop from what I could understand. You make a stop in Toronto first, but then the next flight is via St Johns, its the same plane, so I believe they don't count it as a stop..... Maybe its changed but bear it in mind in case you get a bit of a surprise if they stop in St Johns on the way!

Actually, I wonder if this is the case, do you do your Canada Immigration in St Johns as from St Johns to Toronto would be classified as an internal flight? And if so, would the 2 hours be enough time to do it if there's a queue etc.....

That's correct, the flights go Dublin -> St John's -> Toronto. There's a 2 hour stop in St John's to do immigration I think. Not sure what happens if you get delayed there.

Also, they use a 737-700 for the Dublin -> St John's -> Toronto which is totally fine, but probably a bit small for transatlantic for my liking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭radiata

I booked a direct flight from London-Vancouver as it was a lot cheaper than flying from Ireland. Then I was told in Usit that I had to fly from Ireland. But they doubled checked and it seems to be ok to fly from the UK.
    Anyone else fly from there?

I usually fly via London and find it pretty handy. If you are flying to london on a separate ticket make sure you leave enough time for transfer in case of delays. If you miss the connecting flight they might charge you a new flight. My parents we diverted to Gatwick due to fog, so missed the connection but as was 1 ticket BA put them up in a hotel overnight and onto the first flight the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭guest124

Hi, maybe someone could advise me here.
    What is the norm with education/employer references?

Do they want written references or just a contact detail?! Trying to get this sorted before I leave next week.

I usually fly via London and find it pretty handy. If you are flying to london on a separate ticket make sure you leave enough time for transfer in case of delays. If you miss the connecting flight they might charge you a new flight. My parents we diverted to Gatwick due to fog, so missed the connection but as was 1 ticket BA put them up in a hotel overnight and onto the first flight the next day.

Well Im flying with Ryanair 24 hours beforehand so should have plenty of time...unless I go beering with a few friends there!

Well Im flying with Ryanair 24 hours beforehand so should have plenty of time...unless I go beering with a few friends there!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Random Integer

Just wanted to say thanks to circular flexing, Scruffy19 and Stinjy for the replies, the information was really useful. The only thing concerning me now is how terrible BoI are at doing anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭MarkJD

Any good reccomendations for Tax people?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 onworld

Can anyone recommend good mobile apps for the city? Events, transport, offline maps etc :)

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Stinjy

onworld wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend good mobile apps for the city? Events, transport, offline maps etc :)

Transport, I use google maps it tells you everything! Where to go what number bus/train gives multiple routes and once you get to know the place you'll mix routes as they suit you..

also Downloaded the app from the play store, called BusLink, look on the app store and you'll find it, it's good to tell you when exactly a bus is due :)

Stinjy wrote: »
    also Downloaded the app from the play store, called BusLink, look on the app store and you'll find it, it's good to tell you when exactly a bus is due :)

i use another app called "Radar for Metro" (https://appsto.re/ie/ubYIM.i), doesn't say when a bus is due, but does show where the bus currently is on a map. Works well and is very simple. Can also see what buses are on route to a specific stop.

Been trying to find this info everywhere. In different provinces it is different, but in BC on the IEC, if you start working and pay tax are you covered by their health system? I know I have to get insurance anyway, but I have crohns and the cover that will cover that aspect is over a grand so I want to make sure that if I am paying tax I will be looked after.

Been trying to find this info everywhere. In different provinces it is different, but in BC on the IEC, if you start working and pay tax are you covered by their health system? I know I have to get insurance anyway, but I have crohns and the cover that will cover that aspect is over a grand so I want to make sure that if I am paying tax I will be looked after.

You aren't automatically covered by the BC health system (MSP). There seems to be some debate on whether you need to have it or not. Some sites imply that its illegal not to have MSP cover if you are living in BC. However some people say that if you are on IEC then you don't need it.

Anyway, it costs something like 60$ a month, which covers GP visits and hospital cover. Many companies in Vancouver include MSP as part of their perks, also if a company offers extended health cover (covering optical, dental, prescriptions, massages etc), it may force you to have MSP cover even if you have separate insurance.

http://www.health.gov.bc.ca/msp/infoben/faqas.html#whp

You qualify for the MSP if you are working after 3 months.
    I’m on a working holiday program – what do I need to send to apply for coverage?

Persons on a working holiday program need to have:

a working permit valid for at least six consecutive months or more,
    must be staying in British Columbia for at least six consecutive months, and
    be working a minimum of 18 hours per week.

The premiums are here but I think most employers will pay them for you (and offer an enhanced plan to cover dental etc..)

http://www.health.gov.bc.ca/msp/infoben/premium.html

Thank you guys so much! You are saving me a grand or more. Any chance either of you know where I can find the price of medications and doctor visits until I am covered? Unfortunately I am on constant medication so I will need to cover some of the costs myself when I first get over.

Sorry don't know about that, however I think they can be quite expensive. Because the MSP pays for most peoples doctors fees, doctors charge more than we're used to in Ireland.

I'd be included to bring what you need with you (if possible). My GF had issues getting an irish prescription honoured, and had to go to a doc here, which she thought was a rip-off and likewise the prescription she thought was a rip-off too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭cupthehand1

Anyone with the mobile network PhoneBox. They seem a lil cheaper than the rest and use the Rogers network so coverage shouldn't be too bad.

https://gophonebox.com/Plans/Monthly

Advertisement