Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Saskatchewan Thread

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Son

Hi i am looking about getting out there asap ,i might have a job in swift current, i was also thinking about Regina the i saw some people dont like it can some one tell me why ? what sort of a job are you looking for son ?

Pat..... I've only been here a few days but its pretty nice where I am staying in the cathedral area,i've walked everywhere I needed to go.The people are very friendly,of course theres a few oddballs around but I doubt you'll have much hassle.I got the bus today to an industrial area but there was no footpath to walk on if you need to travel out past the downtown area a car would be handy,you can get around on the bus too,they come every 20-30 mins,something like that.It taken me about a week to get set up,I saw some hiring signs up today in the industrial area so you could definitely get something temporary until you get set up.Im a mechanic but looking to get a job in the oil & gas area.
    Oh yeah the weather has been fairly sunny/hot so no complaints there.

I think it all depends what your expecting or where you come from as to whether you will like it or not...for me I can up sticks and move somewhere else if I don't like it.I came here for work,not to live it up

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭againstthetide

Poor old Saskatchewan is getting a bit of a hiding here!
    Me and my wife and toddler have been living in Saskatchewan for the last 18 months and are liking it a lot.
    We live in a little town of 600 people beside a big lake.
    We are 3 hours from Regina and 2 hours from Saskatoon and 1.5 hours from Prince Albert.
    People are firendly and the cost of living is way better than Edmonton where we moved from.
    Cost of daycare is super low at 3.25 an hour and is very very good
    I can't say we miss much about the city beside convenience of having supermarkets close at hand, we need to drive 30 minutes to find a big supermarket beyond our local coop
    We live on the edge of a park with the lake so lots to do in summer and lots of events on in the town in winter.
    I can see if you were single and looking for parties it would be a bit of a drag but not insurmountable.
    We are almost done with PR now our plan had been to stay here to get PR and then move elsewhere but now we like it so much we can't see ourselves living anywhere else.
    Winters are cold yes but not that bad once you get used it. You can dress for the cold so it's not a massive issue either.
    Snow gets cleared quickly around here as well so never an issue in winter.
    I got stuck one over the two winters and got pulled out of the ditch by a friendly local within 10 minutes.

PR is relativly quick here if you apply through SINP so even if you don't like Saskatchewan it could be worth sticking with it for the year to 18 months til you got PR and then look elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Hamstrings59

Son wrote: »
    Pat..... I've only been here a few days but its pretty nice where I am staying in the cathedral area,i've walked everywhere I needed to go.The people are very friendly,of course theres a few oddballs around but I doubt you'll have much hassle.I got the bus today to an industrial area but there was no footpath to walk on if you need to travel out past the downtown area a car would be handy,you can get around on the bus too,they come every 20-30 mins,something like that.It taken me about a week to get set up,I saw some hiring signs up today in the industrial area so you could definitely get something temporary until you get set up.Im a mechanic but looking to get a job in the oil & gas area.
    Oh yeah the weather has been fairly sunny/hot so no complaints there.

I think it all depends what your expecting or where you come from as to whether you will like it or not...for me I can up sticks and move somewhere else if I don't like it.I came here for work,not to live it up

Your only there a few days, give it time! At least your there for the good weather, I wouldn't wish that winter on anyone!
    Oil/gas, it's mostly potash in Sask, Alberta for the oil and gas. Good money to be made as a heavy diesel mechanic, try get to the mines and make as much money while you can stick it out.
    You will definitely need a car to get around Regina, public transport is v unreliable plus when winter hits you ain't gonna be standing outside for a bus, but your there at a good time of year to get settled and sorted before October (winter). Have a look at saskjobs.ca

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭pilgrim pat

i have heard some bad things about Regina but i am still thinking about going to Saskatchewan is Saskatoon a better city

i have heard some bad things about Regina but i am still thinking about going to Saskatchewan is Saskatoon a better city

I wasn't in Saskatoon but it is meant to be better, if only slightly, than Regina, Saskatchewan is a very grim and cold place, if you can avoid it please do for your own sake, you might get on "grand" there but I can't see you actually liking the place, so if you have another option with Canada, try it is my advice.

• Advertisement

I here things about how cold cretin places are, but its Canada and i think its all going to be much the same, i would just have to deal with that ,i think i would rather live in a large city so i would have more work options and plenty to do on my days of , i would like to live beside a lake close to a park ,its work i am going out there for so i would have to see when i get there if i can get a job offer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭el diablo

I here things about how cold cretin places are...

Hi Pat. What does this mean?

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

I have seen posts where people say saskatoon has a very cold winter i would think its very cold all over

I have seen posts where people say saskatoon has a very cold winter i would think its very cold all over

No, coastal cities like Vancouver and Toronto, get down to maybe minus 15 at their coldest, which is cold but Saskatchewan is regularly in the minus 40s to minus 50s which is unbearably cold, believe me, it has to be experienced to be believed, there's also a high level of humidity in the cold weather so the air is so thick and cold it's so hard to breathe even, when your eyebrows, hair and the inside of your nose instantly freeze and your skin starts to burn with the cold you'll know what I mean! Canada is cold but there is massive differences in the level of coldness, it's such a massive country, it's bound to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Hey folks. I've been living in Calgary since I moved over a but I've been looking more and more into residency and as a bartender Saskatchewan seems like my best bet with their Hospitality sector initiative. The only thing is the employer has to be already registered with SINP before offering the job but I'm having no look finding out how to know other than phoning up every job offer. Would it be worth my while coming over for a few days and hunting in person?

• Advertisement

i have been talking to Anika Henderson from imagine immigration they are in swift current "very help full"

Your only there a few days, give it time! At least your there for the good weather, I wouldn't wish that winter on anyone!
    Oil/gas, it's mostly potash in Sask, Alberta for the oil and gas. Good money to be made as a heavy diesel mechanic, try get to the mines and make as much money while you can stick it out.
    You will definitely need a car to get around Regina, public transport is v unreliable plus when winter hits you ain't gonna be standing outside for a bus, but your there at a good time of year to get settled and sorted before October (winter). Have a look at saskjobs.ca

Oil & gas is huge here,its called the Bakken shale formation,mostly around the south/east,I was in Estevan the other day and theres loads of pump jacks in the fields,loads of big companies have offices there,theres lots going on,jobs a plenty.I have interviews next week and I only started looking last Thursday.I have bought car now so getting around is easy,I like it here so far,its not a party town,it is what it is.

what sort of jobs do they have ? would they do lmo 's ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Very surprised by some of the posts here tbh.

I lived in Regina in 2008, and found it to be quite nice. Yes it's a small City and if you're planning on partying every night then it's not for you. But overall I found the people to be lovely and never once did I feel it was unsafe, and I lived in an apartment block in the "downtown" area that was full of Indians.

In saying that, unless you have a specific reason to go there then I don't see why anyone would choose the place.

i would'n want to go out every night ,but would like to go out at the weekends ,so is there a few good bars you would spend saturday night in ?

i would'n want to go out every night ,but would like to go out at the weekends ,so is there a few good bars you would spend saturday night in ?

McNally is an "irish" bar but it's not irish at all apart from the name, good bar usually have live bands and full of cougars looking for 1 nighters. Stay out of o Hanlons it's a hell hole and you'll get fleeced. Leopolds tavern and the freehouse bar in the cathedral are good too but to be honest, a good night out in Regina is very hard to find but those bars are the best of a very bad bunch. Get in touch with Regina Gaels Gaelic football club they are on Facebook, a sound bunch of lads involved there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

Loulou13 wrote: »
    We live in saskatoon and it's pretty ok place to live, it can be boring unless your into outdoor activities. But you know no matter where you go it's what you make if it. It's a very family orientated place so if you have kids it's a good place to be. A lot of people I have spoke to here would not live in Regina!
    There is lots of jobs here and a booming economy, there is a lot of Irish here! If you don't settle in Regina you could always move here!

I'm an unemployed civil engineer and living in Vancouver but I'm finding it very tough to find work here since I lost my last job. It's very frustrating here.
    I had a job interview in Saskatoon on Thursday last and I think I'm going to get offered a job.
    They flew me in and out on the same day so I didn't get to look around.
    I'm told there is a good Irish population and growing so that's promising.
    Good to here such positive comments about it.
    I was getting worried up to then

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Bear83

Anybody have an experience of Kindersley? Im starting a job there at the end of September.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

I heard that saskatoon are looking for workers, Would Food Scientists be required in that area? OH is a plumber, thinking of moving over with the two kids.

Im going there to work as an agri advisor. I got my job through Osborne Recruitment. Maybe contact them and ask would there be employment for Food Scientists over there

• Advertisement

Bear83 wrote: »
    Im going there to work as an agri advisor. I got my job through Osborne Recruitment. Maybe contact them and ask would there be employment for Food Scientists over there

I got offered a job in Kindersley but couldnt even get accomodation,as its an oil town theres an influx of workers,I was kinda glad in the end as its not a place where I would want to live,just do your research on it before you move.

Son wrote: »
    I got offered a job in Kindersley but couldnt even get accomodation,as its an oil town theres an influx of workers,I was kinda glad in the end as its not a place where I would want to live,just do your research on it before you move.

I had hoped for a little more postive feedback but thats what I kind of expected to hear. The accompany has found me accomodation so i suppose thats one good thing. Thanks for your reply

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

Bear83 wrote: »
    I had hoped for a little more postive feedback but thats what I kind of expected to hear. The accompany has found me accomodation so i suppose thats one good thing. Thanks for your reply

Best of luck with it. You can't go wrong when they provide accommodation.
    No harm in giving it a go anyway, you might love it. Who knows!

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭mcgarrett

Will be in Regina next month for 3 days and was just looking for advice on decent hotels/restaurants and things to do. Reading this thread suggests it's a bit of a dive.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Priv98

you should get work there but if your stuck let me know because the company im getting a job from are flat out they are plumbers ,refrigeration,air conditioning and etc.there could be labourers wanted.

Hi Leechris007

My husband is looking for a job,he is a plumber. Is your company hiring at the moment? We still at the beginning of the immigration process. My husband needs a job offer with LMO/LMIA to get a work permit. Please help if you can.

go to face book irish in calgary or toronto what ever city you want to live in

Advertisement