Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Junior Cert - change level for exam

Options
  • 07-05-2014 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi

My son is doing the Junior Cert this June and currently he's signed up for Honours Level Maths. He's struggling with the honours maths and even though he's getting some grinds, he hasn't improved and continues to fail the maths at this level.

He told his teacher recently that he wanted to change down to pass Maths. She told him its too late - that he'll have to stick with the honours maths because the Superintendent on the day might not give him a Pass paper (there's no guarantee). He doesn't want to do the honours maths and based on his difficulties with the sample papers, etc. he is certain he's heading for a fail!

I'm really annoyed about this because we requested that he be moved down to pass maths before the pres. I even phoned the teacher and requested it, only to be told that he would be better off holding out and sitting the honours paper, which he did. When he failed the maths in the pres, he was still told not to worry, it would be fine. However, its come to the point where he no longer wants to do the honours paper and is desparate to switch to pass.

Does anyone know if its possible to organise it at this late stage? And if so, how do we go about it? The Principal of the school has echoed what the teacher said about it - sorry too late to change!!

Please help!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It's not too late but it requires the school to get in touch with Athlone and fill out some forms. The teacher is correct there is no guarantee there will be any spare HL papers on the day, so you need to get the Principal to contact the SEC.

That said, I would always encourage a child to do as many exams at the Higher Level if they can, regardless of what mark is expected in the exam. If your son has covered the HL course so far, he has practically covered the OL LC Maths course (with a few exceptions). It would be sickening if he didn't try HL, got his mark in OL and saw others who thought they would not pass succeed at HL.

Personally, I would see an E in HL JC as indicative of much more ability in Maths than a B or C in OL.

tl; dr - get the school to contact the SEC and get his level changed, if you really want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 kikis_mom

Hi spurious

Thanks so much for your reply. The Principal has already said that its too late to make the change, so I'm now wondering why he would say that when it appears to be in his powers to make the change (ie. fill in the appropriate form(s)).

I'm leaving the decision up to my son and he's adamant at this stage that he doesn't want to sit the HL paper - he's really struggling with the Honours Level maths and he's also under pressure with some other subjects too.

It was never his intention to sit the HL Maths for leaving cert. so as far as I'm concerned its no big deal, whether he does pass or honours. I just think from his perspective, I'd prefer if he hadn't all this pressure on his shoulders. I know he'll be devastated if he sees failure on his JC results.

So, I suppose my question is, if the Principal has the power to change the level for the exam, why has he already told us its too late to make this change!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I don't know why the Principal is saying it's too late. We have got levels changed much later than this. Perhaps your son's class teacher might be more amenable and he/she could approach the school's Examinations Secretary to ask for the change. You could also try ringing Athlone yourself, if you know his exam number, but they will more than likely send you back to the Principal.

Your son can ask for an OL paper on the day, but this does run the risk of there not being any extra papers available and he would have to wait while one was found or photocopied.

I would make an appointment with the Principal and ask directly why he/she is making things difficult. It's really not that hard a thing to do with Athlone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 kikis_mom

Hi spurious,

The Principal is difficult to deal with and I've had some real problems in the past trying to discuss issues, etc. Let's say he doesn't operate an open door policy and there's no discussion!

I have to say, when I requested the level change, I never expected a negative response and was quite taken aback - that's why I put the query up on 'boards.ie'. I've already sent an email to the Dept. of Education about it but it might take some time for them to respond. I think time is of the essence at this stage, so this forum was a worthwhile consideration.

Thank you so much for your response. I'll have to think how to proceed with it now as it's not easy to question the Principal's ruling (country school). He used to teach me in a previous life and I sometimes think I'm still the student standing before him rather than the parent!

Thank you again for your advice and help, its greatly appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

I have two friends who failed honours maths for their mocks last year, and they came out with Bs on the Junior Cert.

Your son still has time to improve, only four weeks left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Liordi

That's a load of bull, really.
    In our school, people could change now if they please they just need to get parents and subject teachers approval.

Advertisement