Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Made a big blunder first time round with my choice of MSc

• 07-05-2014 8:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

I am a postgraduate university student, I applied for two different MSc courses to the same college department however at the time (few years ago now) I opted for what at the time was the right one for me. About 3-5 months into the course I realized I had made a big mistake and should have accepted the other MSc offer. I have passed and completed all the modules of the full time course with the exception of the dissertation which I have been unable to complete and its been so long now I dont know if I will ever be able to pull the final parts of it together to submit it for once and for all. This costly mistake has affected me greatly. My question is would anyone know if it would be possible to apply again on PAC for the other MSc course and hopefully get things back on track?? I know to contact the college department is an obvious step but for the time being I just need to get my head around what steps I can take before I present my case to the university.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

dougalbear wrote: »
    I have passed and completed all the modules of the full time course with the exception of the dissertation which I have been unable to complete and its been so long now I dont know if I will ever be able to pull the final parts of it together to submit it for once and for all. This costly mistake has affected me greatly. My question is would anyone know if it would be possible to apply again on PAC for the other MSc course and hopefully get things back on track??
    You really think it's a good use of time and money to jack in a masters that you've almost completed and start another? What if the other one isn't what you hoped? Then what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 dougalbear

My dissertation is unmanageable I have put everything into trying to complete it, my supervisor is beneath contempt is how I could sum it up in one sentence. Its a mistake that has cost me dearly both in time and money. Feel so defeated and do not know where to turn to next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

...my supervisor is beneath contempt is how I could sum it up in one sentence.
    If your supervisor is not being helpful, then get another supervisor. Talk to the faculty head and explain your situation.
    Its a mistake that has cost me dearly both in time and money.
    And if you quit now, you'll have nothing to show for it.

Advertisement