Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car has started to shudder in 2nd/3rd gear

Options
  • 07-05-2014 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi all,

I own a 2001 Volkswagen Polo and have had it a couple of years now. Very recently I noticed that the car occasionally shudders when I'm changing gear into 2nd or 3rd. I'm a competent driver so I know it's not me. It's as if the car is labouring, similar to what will happen if you're driving too slow to be in 3rd or 4th gear. I've noticed that if I work the clutch pedal more gently (i.e. release it slower) than normal then it doesn't really happen, but I never had to do this up until about a month ago (right after the car passed the NCT - typical). Up until then it's been very swift and smooth. Despite the odd shudder, the car drives fine for the moment.

Is there anybody out there who may have experienced this problem before? Or any mechanics who have a clue what I'm banging on about? Any advice you could give me would be much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭MadMardegan

Hi all,

I own a 2001 Volkswagen Polo and have had it a couple of years now. Very recently I noticed that the car occasionally shudders when I'm changing gear into 2nd or 3rd. I'm a competent driver so I know it's not me. It's as if the car is labouring, similar to what will happen if you're driving too slow to be in 3rd or 4th gear. I've noticed that if I work the clutch pedal more gently (i.e. release it slower) than normal then it doesn't really happen, but I never had to do this up until about a month ago (right after the car passed the NCT - typical). Up until then it's been very swift and smooth. Despite the odd shudder, the car drives fine for the moment.

Is there anybody out there who may have experienced this problem before? Or any mechanics who have a clue what I'm banging on about? Any advice you could give me would be much appreciated!

My car was doing the same thing when going from 1st into 2nd, and 2nd into 3rd.
    Had a leek in the gearbox and got it fixed, has been driving fine since. Don't know if that's what was causing it or not though.
    I'm guessing it could be a million and one things

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Could be lots if things but I'd suspect a gearbox or engine mount.
    Have it looked at as they are cheap but if a second one were to go you could trash engine/box on a car I'm sure you'd like to keep driving another while
    Marty.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 BertyBigBollox

My car was doing the same thing when going from 1st into 2nd, and 2nd into 3rd.
    Had a leek in the gearbox and got it fixed, has been driving fine since. Don't know if that's what was causing it or not though.
    I'm guessing it could be a million and one things

Hi MadMardegan,

Thanks for letting me know. Hopefully it'll be as easy for the mechanic to pinpoint the problem without charging me through the nose for a load of transmission tests. Can you remember how much it cost to repair the leak in your gearbox?

Regards, Dave.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 BertyBigBollox

martyc5674 wrote: »
    Could be lots if things but I'd suspect a gearbox or engine mount.
    Have it looked at as they are cheap but if a second one were to go you could trash engine/box on a car I'm sure you'd like to keep driving another while
    Marty.

Hi Marty,

Cheers for the advice. I suppose I won't know what the actual problem is until I have a mechanic look at it. My main concern is that it's a problem that's going to be a costly fix which I just can't afford. Hopefully the problem may be as you've suggested seeing as it wouldn't cost too much to replace a mount.

Regards, Dave.

Advertisement