Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

recommendations for one-off shows or short series...

• 07-05-2014 8:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I've just watched the last 3 seasons of Breaking Bad in a few weeks, and I really don't want to get into another long series just now. I'm looking for recommendations on one-off shows or short series that wouldn't be as demanding as full length series along the lines of BB or The Wire. Alternatively, they could be for light entertainment that I could watch on and off without feeling the need to get really stuck in. They can be any genre- documentary, comedy, nature etc.

As example of what I'm looking for, I'm downloading season 3 of the Simpsons, the BBC documentary series on the human body, and A Young Doctor's Notebook at the moment.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

Band of Brothers if you havent seen it, it a World War 2 series, 10 episode long, you will not find a better single season show out there,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,699 ✭✭✭Glebee

True Detective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Criminal Justice is a BBC series with 2 Seasons, 5 episodes per season. Excellent.

Cracker; each "episode" is actually like a mini-movie, varying between 90 mins and 150 mins. Absolutely stunning television with Robbie Coltrane at his most brilliant best in it.

Father And Son; Dougray Scott stars in this 4-part series about an ex-criminal trying to save his son from following in his footsteps. Set in England and Ireland.

Band Of Brothers 10-part HBO series about the Allied invasion of France during World War II. Gripping and tense from start to finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Pea 9

The first season of Heroes.
    It's fantastic. Don't put yourself through the disappointment of the following seasons

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Utopia - Channel 4 5 part series

BBC 4 documentary series Shock and Awe: The Story of Electricity with Prof. Jim Al-Khalili
    BBC 4 documentary series Chemistry: A Volatile History with Prof. Jim Al-Khalili

Adam Curtis documentaries -

THE MAYFAIR SET (1999)
    THE CENTURY OF THE SELF (2002)
    THE POWER OF NIGHTMARES (2004)
    THE TRAP (2007)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Luther - BBC show, 3 short (fantastic) seasons.

Line of Duty - BBC show, 2 short (fantastic) seasons.

The Lost Room - clever 3 part sci-fi/fantasy series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

DazMarz wrote: »

Cracker; each "episode" is actually like a mini-movie, varying between 90 mins and 150 mins. Absolutely stunning television with Robbie Coltrane at his most brilliant best in it.

Good call! Downloading now. Not seen it in years but it was fantastic television.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

Glebee wrote: »
    True Detective.

+1 best TV I have seen in a long time :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

Can't believe no one has mentioned Sherlock. Great show and it really draws you in.

A more left field choice would be black mirror from channel 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

The Corner & Generation Kill are both HBO mini-series that are well worth checking out, especially if you're a fan of The Wire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Mr E wrote: »
    Luther - BBC show, 3 short (fantastic) seasons.

Line of Duty - BBC show, 2 short (fantastic) seasons.

+1 for both of these.

Can I also suggest Single-handed. The first three "series" are 2 episodes each about an hour long. Its about a Guard, recently moved down from Dublin to take over from his Dad as the local Garda sergeant. He then starts to unravel some of the secrets of his town, his dad and Irish rural living. Didn't get a very warm reception in Ireland due to suggestions that it made life in the west of Ireland seem bleak, and hints of Garda corruption. Despite all that, I thought it was terrific. The first two series anyway.
    Can't believe no one has mentioned Sherlock. Great show and it really draws you in.

Most posters probably assumed it went without saying ;)

A more left field choice would be black mirror from channel 4.

Only saw one episode, the one starring Domhnall Gleeson. Great episode. Very thought provoking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,313 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I know this is a show I really liked but not everyone did

Harper's Island - Single season story of a group of people going to a wedding on an island, where a killer is picking them off one by one. The hook was that at least 1 of the main cast would be killed off each episode. 13 episode season with a self contained story.
    Guess it could be described as I Know What You Did Last Summer: the series.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I know this is a show I really liked but not everyone did

Harper's Island - Single season story of a group of people going to a wedding on an island, where a killer is picking them off one by one. The hook was that at least 1 of the main cast would be killed off each episode. 13 episode season with a self contained story.
    Guess it could be described as I Know What You Did Last Summer: the series.

13 murders? On the one Island? From the one wedding party? Presumably the survivors leave some pretty harsh reviews on Trip Advisor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,313 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I know due to Harper's Island and another show (that I won't name due to possibly spoiling for non watchers) that I try to avoid weddings where possible. And for some reason the tripadvisor entries were deleted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭orangesoda

London Irish, 5 episodes i think

Another great one if you can find it is Boys From The Blackstuff, a 5 part 1982 drama about 5 unemployed Englishmen & their struggle to survive in Thatcher's Britain. It's grim, but there's some great humour in it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Charlie Brookers Black Mirror.
    Both seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,582 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Rectify. Only 6 episodes, but it's fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭groovie

A mention for Rubicon, ok it's 13 episodes, but it's quite perfectly formed imho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

The Shadow Line
    Messiah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

The office (original UK)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

There are lots of good suggestions in this thread ...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055689569

Advertisement