Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damien Rice - Whelans - 13th May

Options
  • 07-05-2014 8:52pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Whelanslive
    Whelan's are pleased to announce a very special 25th Anniversary Gig by Damien Rice next Tuesday 13th May.

Tickets go on sale tomorrow (Thur) at 9am from Whelanslive.com priced €25 & limited to 4 per person...
    #whelans25

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Already sold out :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

Their page obviously doesnt refresh itself. So you wait in a queue to get to the page, but if you're there before 9am, you have to refresh again and go back to the back of the queue

It's a mad system. I was there since 8 this morning.

For such a small venue, wouldn't be surprised if most of the tickets were already gone to 'connected' people

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭TakeTheVeil

Jesus - fecking joke so it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

Absolute ****e.

I was up early, tried on computer and phone, actually got through on phone once and they didn't pick up, then got through on computer and it's sold out.

The Whelan's Facebook page is taking a beating, lol, everyone is pissed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Well I can dispel any 'it mightn't have been on sale to the general public' stuff. Managed to get 2 tickets myself.

Was on there about 8.50 and waited in the queue and it kept refreshing itself, just expected it to keep doing that with no luck and then it just refreshed and brought me to the page to enter details and buy the tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Walt Grace

Corholio wrote: »
    Well I can dispel any 'it mightn't have been on sale to the general public' stuff. Managed to get 2 tickets myself.

Was on there about 8.50 and waited in the queue and it kept refreshing itself, just expected it to keep doing that with no luck and then it just refreshed and brought me to the page to enter details and buy the tickets.

Congrats on getting tickets dude! Enjoy the gig.

Well hopefully with these rumours of a new album later this year he will play a proper run of gigs! :D

Lucky you!

The only other person I've seen comment about getting them was one guy on FB who also got 2 tickets, was that you? :P

• Advertisement

Amazingfun wrote: »
    Lucky you!

The only other person I've seen comment about getting them was one guy on FB who also got 2 tickets, was that you? :P

No it wasn't me :P I fully expected not to get any to be honest knowing the demand.

But ya I've seen the Facebook page and it's crazy, I've already double checked the email and even bank account to make sure I did actually buy the tickets. Bad form that a lot seem to have missed out, even though it was always going to be hectic like that, but I think it's more the stupid queuing system that has pissed people off.

Yes, the que was awful because it made you think you were "in" .

ANyways: enjoy the show! Be sure to give us a review afterwards, love to hear all about it :)

That's some luck!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Stop requesting tickets on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭lc180

So any of you lucky few who got tickets care to share how it went tonight???

I was kind of expecting him to get announced for EP today but it never happened, would be interesting to hear if he mentioned any possible gigs coming up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

It was pretty good I have to say. Just him on his own with the odd backing by some tall lad who couldn't play the drum to save his life. Think he was just doing him a favour to be honest letting him come out the odd time.

Played nearly the entirety of "0" and about 4 songs from the second album, as well as 2-3 new songs which sounded pretty good. He got 2 girls up from the audience when they requested Cold Water and they sang Lisa Hannigans bits pretty well which was a nice touch.

He looked pretty baked I have to say, and talked like he was. Someone was at the wacky tabaccy back stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

niallo24 wrote: »
    It was pretty good I have to say. Just him on his own with the odd backing by some tall lad who couldn't play the drum to save his life. Think he was just doing him a favour to be honest letting him come out the odd time.

Played nearly the entirety of "0" and about 4 songs from the second album, as well as 2-3 new songs which sounded pretty good. He got 2 girls up from the audience when they requested Cold Water and they sang Lisa Hannigans bits pretty well which was a nice touch.

He looked pretty baked I have to say, and talked like he was. Someone was at the wacky tabaccy back stage.

Hotpress.com say the gig was "extremely emotional" and now I'm wondering why. Was it??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

whirlpool wrote: »
    Hotpress.com say the gig was "extremely emotional" and now I'm wondering why. Was it??

Ha ha yeah saw that, not sure why they say that. I'd say it meant the world to some die hard fans that were there, I am a fan but not a huge one. Always thought he was amazing live but not as good on record, hence my attendance. Suppose its his first Irish gig in so long, and in a venue where it all kind of kicked off, so that was emotional for Damo.

niallo24 wrote: »

Doing him a favour? The 'tall lad' was Shahzad Ismaily, a pretty acclaimed percussionist, he's done loads of stuff with all sorts of artists, including Tom Waits if I'm not mistaken. The drumming was just to add a bit of background to the songs and was fine for what it was, considering he didn't know any of Rice songs from first 2 albums, only the new one.

Advertisement