Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charlesland new ballcock

Options
  • 07-05-2014 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi, has anyone had to replace the ballcock in the tank in the attic in a 2 bed townhouse? If so just seeing how much it costs and recommendations for plumbers. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

fifi81 wrote: »
    Hi, has anyone had to replace the ballcock in the tank in the attic in a 2 bed townhouse? If so just seeing how much it costs and recommendations for plumbers. Thanks

Pm sent

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭zanador

Hi, if you're a bit handy then it's pretty simple to do yourself - save yourself a few quid :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 bennetts

Having mine replaced today - a local man called Brian Mullen 086 853 9367. Approximately €100 give or take.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

Wow - easy money! The usual issue with ballcocks is that the washer in the valve perishes and you need to replace it. Probably €1 for the washer and the only tool you need is a pliers. Maybe your problem is more severe, though. What were the symptoms?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

I've seen plenty of bendy arms on ball-cocks caused by higher pressure mains feed. A new ball-cock is probably going to be about 30 euro. The rest is a basic call-out charge covering an hours worth of labour. It saves to be handy, but in a lot of cases (and for piece of mind), let the expert do it.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭longford76

I had to replace mine a few weeks ago as overflow pipe kept running if water was turned on.

I watched a few youtube videos and got both a new valve, arm and ballcock for €8 and a new washer too in case that was issue 50c for it.

Turned out to be easy enough to replace and took apart the old one after. The washer was very worn and there was a small pebble in the valve too.

Felt happy after as was worried before trying it that I'd flood the house....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

very good price there LD. Plastic or brass arm?

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭longford76

astrofluff wrote: »
    very good price there LD. Plastic or brass arm?

It was a brass arm. I picked it up in a hardware shop in Fairview. I was expecting it to be more so that was why I got both the rubber washer (the owner of the shop reckoned this was all that was wrong, which turned out to be correct along with stuck pebble) and the new unit just in case. Couldn't complain at that price.

Advertisement