Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Watching Irish netflix on iPad in Spain

Options
  • 07-05-2014 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭

Hope this is allowed if not please delete

I would like to use my ipad for watching some stuff while on holidays as the tv is crap

Internet is available where I'm staying but interfering with settings on a router would not be possible

Is this ok to do ?
    If so how do/would you go about it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

You'll get a week free with these guys and there's instructions for set up on an ipad. It's very easy.
    http://www.unblock-us.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

Thanks
    Will give it a shot closer to the time so
    Will make the evenings in a lot more bearable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭SamAK

soundsham wrote: »
    Will make the evenings in a lot more bearable

Aren't holidays supposed to be enjoyable? :confused:

The netflix would make it more so for the tired bodies and minds
    Thanks for your observation

• Registered Users Posts: 9,775 ✭✭✭lertsnim

SamAK wrote: »
    Aren't holidays supposed to be enjoyable? :confused:

Could be going on holidays with children so couldn't go out. Not everyone is like the McCann parents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

Happy kids = happy mummy = happy daddy

basill wrote: »
    Happy kids = happy mummy = happy daddy

Simple as that
    Might even get to watch season 2 of house of cards if I get a look in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

This is pretty good as well @€;8.99/year.
    Can also use it to access US Netflix which has much better content.
    https://itunes.apple.com/ie/app/vpn-one-click-professional/id480454364?mt=8

flyguy wrote: »
    This is pretty good as well @€;8.99/year.
    Can also use it to access US Netflix which has much better content.
    https://itunes.apple.com/ie/app/vpn-one-click-professional/id480454364?mt=8

Didn't read this properly 1st time €8.99 a year !!
    If something looks to be good to be true.... Comes to mind

Have you used it

Have in the past (in France on hotel wifi) and was good enough to stream Netflix. Some of my colleagues use it still and haven't heard any complaints.
    There's also in in-app purchase possible for one month if you want to try it first (or only need it for a month @€;1.79).
    -edit- just checked, there's also a free 7-day trial...

I think you can only use VPN one click on mobile devices that's maybe why it's a quite cheap (but you can always AirPlay if you've Apple TV or chrome cast)
    Also the €8.99 is just for the VPN service, obviously you still need pay your Netflix subscription if you want to use it (just in case you thought that was included).

• Advertisement

flyguy wrote: »
    Have in the past (in France on hotel wifi) and was good enough to stream Netflix. Some of my colleagues use it still and haven't heard any complaints.
    There's also in in-app purchase possible for one month if you want to try it first (or only need it for a month @€;1.79).
    -edit- just checked, there's also a free 7-day trial...

I think you can only use VPN one click on mobile devices that's maybe why it's a quite cheap (but you can always AirPlay if you've Apple TV or chrome cast)
    Also the €8.99 is just for the VPN service, obviously you still need pay your Netflix subscription if you want to use it (just in case you thought that was included).

Would this also mean I could watch my sky go on ipad while abroad

I understand it wouldn't include netflix

Using it on my Apple TV for Hulu or something sounds appealing if all this is for one subscription

I'd sign up for the €9 anyway I think to give it a bash

Or is it €9 per device

• Registered Users Posts: 8,716 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Off topic but Netflix have annoyed me with their plan changes. Used to be €7 for HD & up to 4 devices at the same time. I had signed up for this and then cancelled it for a while & when going back again it's now €11.99 for the same thing. So their PR "2 year price freeze for existing customers" doesn't apply to people who have been with them before but cancelled the subscription for a while. Anyway, I won't be subscribing again, especially when the product offering in Ireland is so poor compared to the US.

soundsham wrote: »
    Would this also mean I could watch my sky go on ipad while abroad

I understand it wouldn't include netflix

Using it on my Apple TV for Hulu or something sounds appealing if all this is for one subscription

I'd sign up for the €9 anyway I think to give it a bash

Or is it €9 per device

Yeah I'd say that should all work fine. Checked their site and it says one sub for all mobile devices and 1 computer.
    http://www.vpnoneclick.com/howitworks/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Slightly off topic but my son has apps for downloading TV programmes and movies for free. We also go to Spain frequently and he downloads lots onto his iPod prior to each flight. Works brilliant and all free :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,930 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

IrishHomer wrote: »
    Slightly off topic but my son has apps for downloading TV programmes and movies for free. We also go to Spain frequently and he downloads lots onto his iPod prior to each flight. Works brilliant and all free :)

Absolutely legal too, I'm sure?

Ya I'm aware of all the dodgy stuff

My query is about watching stuff I've paid for while abroad & possibly some live stuff

How does the ordinary punter know what's legal and illegal?

Is Filmon legal? That also allows downloads to view later and is not estivated to location yet everyone I know uses it?

Legal schmegal. We don't need people on their high horses here :D

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭boardzz

lertsnim wrote: »
    Could be going on holidays with children so couldn't go out. Not everyone is like the McCann parents.

Really bad taste

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,930 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Aodhagan wrote: »
    Legal schmegal. We don't need people on their high horses here :D

You might want to check the charter before making stupid comments here.

• Advertisement

whiterebel wrote: »
    You might want to check the charter before making stupid comments here.

Sorry Mr. forum police.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

A more elegant solution that folk are tending towards is the use of a linux satelite box. Plug it into your home network and use something like no-ip or dyndns so that you can access your box whilst away from your home. There are various apps for the ipad that will allow you to watch whichever channel on your stb you wish and control the box including recording programmes whilst away. Attaching a nas or suchlike to the home network will mean you can access your movie collection and recordings. Get an hdmi connector for the ipad and you should be able to connect it to a tv for a better viewing experience.

There is a long running thread on the Amiko Alien Linux boxes in the terrestrial forum but there are other offerings out there.

IrishHomer wrote: »
    How does the ordinary punter know what's legal and illegal?

Is Filmon legal? That also allows downloads to view later and is not estivated to location yet everyone I know uses it?

Filmon hasn't been shutdown, and is still available through the AppStore, so Apple don't have a problem with it. It only seems to stream Free to Air now, so maybe they pay a licence fee to distribute. I have yet to see an app that downloads movies for free legally.

I reckon that watching your Irish Netflix in Spain is technically illegal :)

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Sasso

Bumping old thread. My question.... Can I simply bring iPad on hols to Spain and watch Netflix(in a wifi zone) same as at home ???

• Registered Users Posts: 28,485 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

If you just go to Spain and use Netflix as normal then you will have the Spanish service then all the normal Netflix shows such as House of Cards will be there

Details of some content here: https://whatsnewonnetflix.com/spain

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Sasso

Thanks so much Murpho999. Never knew site, it's great.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Netflix will be forced into giving you your home content throughout Europe if a new piece of legislation is passed today.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.justwatch.justwatch&hl=en
    JustWatch - Find out where to legally watch movies & tv shows streaming online.JustWatch is the easiest way to browse through your favorite movies or tv shows to see if they are available at any streaming providers.
    Currently we are listing offers from Netflix, HBO NOW, Amazon Prime Instant Video, Hulu, Crackle, iTunes, Vudu, XBOX, Playstation, realeyz, Mubi and Fandor in the United States.
    JustWatch is also available in Canada, the UK, Australia, New Zealand, Brasil, Mexiko, South Africa, Ireland, France and Germany.

Crackle has TV and Movies - Although some aren't that great. But it's legal and free. I've watched a few movies on it, and there are some decent movies too.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gotv.crackle.handset&hl=en

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

whiterebel wrote: »
    Absolutely legal too, I'm sure?

As legal as breaking a red light, speeding, littering or photcopying. All of which you've never, ever done in your life.

Advertisement