Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manager of the year

• 07-05-2014 10:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Okay who is your manager of the year

Pellegrini* - Manager of the League Winners and League Cup winners scoring over PL 100 goals
    Rodgers* - taken team from 7th to 2nd playing some thrilling footie, 99 goals and counting
    Pulis - took over side bottom of league, would be 8th in league had season started when he arrived at Palace
    Martinez - Taken over stolid, solid side and sprinkled some fairy dust on them to make superior footballing side setting best clubs PL points tally.
    Poyet - took over a Sunderland side bottom of league which reached a Cup final and has pulled clear of danger playing well against big teams.
    Hughes - Spending almost no money has reshaped Stoke from "clever cloggers" into a fast counter attacking side achieving their best PL finish position

*obviously something remarkable could happen on Sunday but I don't think we need to think it will.

Manager of the season 435 votes

Pellegrini
    0% 0 votes
    Rodgers
    5% 23 votes
    Pulis
    46% 202 votes
    Martinez
    42% 184 votes
    Poyet
    2% 10 votes
    Hughes
    3% 14 votes
    Other
    0% 2 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Throw a poll up there.

Moyes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Pulis.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Should City go on and win the title you can't really look past Pellegrini, a title and the league cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Has to be Rodgers in fairness. What he has done is nothing short of a miracle, 7th to title contenders and could still win it. Any other season Tony Pulis but not this season.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Pulis - turned a disorganised rabble on the way down into a tight knit and efficient machine. Not the prettiest to watch but very effective and with a never say die attitude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

mike65 wrote: »
    Okay who is your manager of the year

Pellegrini* - Manager of the League Winners and League Cup winners scoring over PL 100 goals
    Rodgers* - taken team from 7th to 2nd playing some thrilling footie, 99 goals and counting
    Pulis - took over side bottom of league, would be 8th in league had season started when he arrived at Palace
    Martinez - Taken over stolid, solid side and sprinkled some fairy dust on them to make superior footballing side setting best clubs PL points tally.
    Poyet - took over a Sunderland side bottom of league which reached a Cup final and has pulled clear of danger playing well against big teams.
    Hughes - Spending almost no money has reshaped Stoke from "clever cloggers" into a fast counter attacking side achieving their best PL finish position

*obviously something remarkable could happen on Sunday but I don't think we need think it will.

Don't think it should be Pellegrini anywas. He's done what was expected really. Pulis or Rodgers for me. Prob Rodgers. He's done amazing.

I feel dirty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Pulls

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Added poll :)

Sorry, I just forgot to add Moyes :o

I just can't look past Rodgers. Pellegrini has been a perfect addition to City, but this Rodgers has just done too good a job to not be manager of the year in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Ryu Hayabusa

David Moyes, Top manager

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Yeah I'm going to give this to Rodgers as well...Pellegrini has done great in his first year (if Sunday goes according to plan) but what Rodgers has done is incredible.

Edit: Just realised I pressed Pelle by mistake :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I would have said Rodgers a few weeks ago but it looks like he may have blown Liverpool's best chance of a league title in years. He was tactically naive against Chelsea and Palace and it's proved costly.

I thought Palace were goners when Holloway departed and Pulis arrived; but for them to not only survive, but be just outside the top half is remarkable. He gets my vote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

In much the same way that the player/team of the year goes, recent form will carry far more weight in the vote than it should. Two weeks ago Rodgers would have been runaway, a week before that Martinez would have been in with a shot, but now Pulis may well get it. Wouldn't be undeserved, quite a few worthy candidates which makes a change from last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Brendan rogers

Now please excuse me whilst I burn my fingertips off following that sacreligous vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Im a bit torn between Pulis and Poyet, but I think it has to go to Pulis overall, that team were gonners till he came in, absolute stone wall certainties for the drop, they have never looked in danger really since he transformed them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Brendan Rodgers for me.

Shout out to Tony Pulis and Gus Poyet, who have completely turned around the fortunes of clubs that seemed utterly doomed, Pulis more so, as I don't know how he has squeezed so much out of that squad.

But Rodgers has had Liverpool playing at a very high level all season long. Yes they look like they have come up short in a title race, and as much as I am enjoying the petty digs and "bantz" at their expense, it has been an excellent season for them, and it's all due to Rodgers influence. The style Liverpool have played with this season is pretty unique, all players know exactly what is expected of them, and you can tell how much the players are enjoying playing for him by the way they (well, the attacking players mostly) express themselves on the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭bren_mc

Had Liverpool won the league, I think Rodgers would deserve it (granted it's still a possibility but looks unlikely). For me, it has to be Pulis. Palace were something like 1/9 with the bookies to be relegated when he took over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Yeah I'm going to give this to Rodgers as well...Pellegrini has done great in his first year (if Sunday goes according to plan) but what Rodgers has done is incredible.

Edit: Just realised I pressed Pelle by mistake :rolleyes:

Wasn't there already a thread on this?

Pulis for me, incredible job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

For me:

Pulis
    Rodgers
    Poyet

It feels strange leaving out a manager who will do the double in his first season, but there you go.

Powers have Pulis 1/2 on, Pellegrini and Rodgers second at 10/3 and Poyet at 40's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,982 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Pulis for me, he had done and outstanding job at Palace.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

I would have said Rodgers a few weeks ago but it looks like he may have blown Liverpool's best chance of a league title in years. He was tactically naive against Chelsea and Palace and it's proved costly.

I thought Palace were goners when Holloway departed and Pulis arrived; but for them to not only survive, but be just outside the top half is remarkable. He gets my vote.

This.

City go 2-0 up tonight and bring on Fernandhino - it's not rocket science, but when you don't do it and you have an awful pair of CB's you get what you deserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Pulis hands down

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭Chagan

Di Canio has to be in with a shout. Only dropped 14 points all season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

Chagan wrote: »
    Di Canio has to be in with a shout. Only dropped 14 points all season.

Giggs only dropped 3

Pellegrini. Managing a team of mercenary prima donnas, in a league he has never played in or managed in, learning all about 20 teams in one season while working to improve his own grasp of the language and living in a "foreign" country.
    As a United fan what worries me is that he will improve all round next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Officer999

100% Tony Pulis

Probably have 1 (Puncheon), maybe 2 (Ward) Premier League players.

Rest are made up of Championship, and journeymen players.

They were dead and buried when he took over, now look where they are.

Truely amazing really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Has to be Rodgers, what's with the private polls all the time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

I'm probably biased but isn't the gap from 7th to 2nd so much greater to bridge than bottom 3 to lower mid-table.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Rodgers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭anirishlad

lordgoat wrote: »
    This.

City go 2-0 up tonight and bring on Fernandhino - it's not rocket science, but when you don't do it and you have an awful pair of CB's you get what you deserve.

Liverpool have nobody of Fernandhino's quality on the bench, most clubs could only dream of man city's financial muscle and their ability to sub on world class players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

lordgoat wrote: »
    This.

If only Rodgers had a 34 million pound player to come off the bench......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Rodgers without doubt. Liverpool have progressed so much over the past eighteen months , it's been outstanding.

Pulis has done a great job. No doubt. But I see Pulis and I raise you Steve Bruce. Not a chance of relegation and they're in the FA Cup final whilst having Europa League action sewn up for next season.

So, Rodgers Manager of the Year followed closely by Steve Bruce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Credit to Pulis but at the end of the day he just made a team of professional footballers hard to beat. Not many could have done it, but its just not the same as taking a pretty average midtable side and bringing them to within inches of the league title. Lots of managers have saved clubs from relegation, but very few have been able to mount genuine title challenges,and even fewer without spending hundreds of millions.

With the millions available and the squad he inherited City should have had the title won weeks ago, so I can't vote Pellegrini.

It has to be Rodgers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

niallo27 wrote: »
    I'm probably biased but isn't the gap from 7th to 2nd so much greater to bridge than bottom 3 to lower mid-table.

Biased? Never?

Pulis took a team 9 places up the Premier League. Should Liverpool finish 3rd on Sunday then that is 4 positions.

Pulis then Poyet then Peligirini then Hughes THEN maybe Rodgers for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

quarryman wrote: »
    Biased? Never?

Pulis took a team 9 places up the Premier League. Should Liverpool finish 3rd on Sunday then that is 4 positions.

Pulis then Poyet then Peligirini then Hughes THEN maybe Rodgers for me.

So if wenger moved up 3 places next year you don't think he should win manager of the year. Poyet dropped 3 places. I'm not sure how this works.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

He wasnt tactically naive against chelsea though. They played as they had done in the previous 11 games in which they had won and if rodgers had changed tactics for the chelsea game and lost everybody would come out and say he should have just stuck to what was working.
    Palace was a different story ridiculous talk of catching city on GD pre match and then not shutting up shop when in a great position was tactically naive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

I think how Rodgers took Liverpool forward and how Pulis took Palace forward can be equated to each other enough to make them both deserving of the honour. The difference to me comes in when you compare how entertaining, enjoyable and exciting it has been to watch Liverpool matches this season, never a dull affair, so firstly on merit and secondly on entertainment value I would give it to Rodgers.

All that said, this season belongs to one man and one man only and that is David "not enough crosses" Moyes. Thank you David for what you did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Pelegrini - new to the league, City wins the Prem and League Cup, took City further in the CL. Don't see why people should be giving prizes for finishing second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Pulis. I don't think people really remember how ****e Palace were before he arrived. They were one of the worst sides ever to grace the league. He's turned them into top half material, based on form.

It's an incredible achievement.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

FatherTed wrote: »
    Pelegrini - new to the league, City wins the Prem and League Cup, took City further in the CL. Don't see why people should be giving prizes for finishing second.

Pellegrini for me too. For the reasons in the first sentence, separate from the silverware. I can't remember too many tactical mistakes, even in the early season away defeats.

None of this "wait until he gets his own players in" that Giles said about Moyes and everyone says for Mourinho. A sign of a great manager is to to work with the players you are given.

dfx- wrote: »
    Pellegrini for me too. For the reasons in the first sentence, separate from the silverware. I can't remember too many tactical mistakes, even in the early season away defeats.

None of this "wait until he gets his own players in" that Giles said about Moyes and everyone says for Mourinho. A sign of a great manager is to to work with the players you are given.

He was given the best squad in the league though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

City's squad is miles better than Chelsea and United though, they should be winning the league and they probably will but Liverpool ran them close with a lot less depth. I mean City's starting 11 yesterday cost 180 million compared to Liverpool's 110 million against Palace which doesn't seem too big a difference but City had around 150m worth of talent on the bench, crazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Hannibal

NukaCola wrote: »
    If only Rodgers had a 34 million pound player to come off the bench......
    Exactly. Rodgers had the option of Agger or Moses. Moses very nearly poked in the winner but how and ever. Liverpool have the same points tally as Man City in the last 6 games so they haven't blown it as some would suggest. Liverpool since New Years Day have P18, W14, D3, L1. Which if sustained over a season would be around the 95/96 points which is pretty remarkable.

I think Rodgers deserves the award. Pulis and Martinez (apart from rolling for Man City) not far behind him.
    Pellegrini is doing what is expected of him with the squad he has and spending £90m.
    Mourinho for me is probably the biggest under achiever, taking over a side that has won major European competitions in the previous two seasons, he spent £100m and won nothing. The type of football he is playing if it continues he will be out of a job this time next year.

NukaCola wrote: »
    He was given the best squad in the league though

And he managed it very well and it shows in the success he's getting. He didn't try to put Yaya Toure at left back and Aguero at centreback because they're not his style of player like you see with some other managers. He showed faith in Hart as much as he could. Negredo should be regarded a successful signing, to be honest so should Demichelis as well.

And he did it scoring 100 goals. I see ticks across the board for him, I don't know where he can be marked down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Hannibal

Pellegrini spent £30m on Fernandinho, £22m on Jovetic, £20m on Negredo, £15m on Navas and £4m on Demichelis. Tevez is the only player of note missing from the previous season. It's hardly working with the players he was given to be honest is it?

All good signings Jovetic apart perhaps, integrated into the team at one stage or another. It hasn't affected the impact of Silva, Aguero and Toure as major weapons in favour of his own men.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Not winning the league with that City squad is a disaster. Winning it is par.

And I think that's why he was a good choice for City. That's what they needed. They had everything in place (another 100m quid notwithstanding). They needed a steady hand.

Not sure you deserve being manager of the year for being Steady Eddy though.

It's probably harder to think of managers that've actually done well than badly - Martinez, Bruce, Pulis and Rodgers seriously tore up some trees. Pochettino, Pellegrini, Poyet and Mark Hughes had solid enough seasons.

Pretty much everyone else was absolute muck.

I'd go for Rodgers.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

FatherTed wrote: »

However "Manager of the league champions of the year" wouldn't be an especially interesting poll.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

I don't get the Tony Pulis love. The bottom half of the table has been close all season, they were bottom in November and 2 wins and I think a draw had them at 16th or 17th and only goal difference off 15th by the end of December. 1 win would have put them just outside the top 10, below Hull.

I think the whole season has often been like this, very close and tight at both ends of the table. Palace did have a really good March and I think that sorted them.

I think he has done very well, just tweaking, along with good coaching support, what was already at Palace. The way he set up a team like Stoke, you knew the apple wouldn't fall far from the tree. I'd like to see Palace again in the EPL next season but I think Pulis doesn't get the best value from transfers and needs help in that department, judging imho on the past with Stoke.

And he managed it very well and it shows in the success he's getting. He didn't try to put Yaya Toure at left back and Aguero at centreback because they're not his style of player like you see with some other managers. He showed faith in Hart as much as he could. Negredo should be regarded a successful signing, to be honest so should Demichelis as well.

And he did it scoring 100 goals. I see ticks across the board for him, I don't know where he can be marked down.

You said a sign of a great manager is that they work with what he's given. I dont think it works when he was given the best side in the league and spent a lot of money also. He done a fine job but nothing more than expected to be honest.

Brendan Rodgers has come up short with Liverpool but matched them up until the last 1/2 games of the season with a far weaker squad. Put it this way, I'd be pretty confident that Rodgers would repeat what Pellegrini did with City, but not sure if Pellegrini could match Rodgers with the Liverpool squad, but maybe thats a different debate.

It will probably go to Pulis/Rodgers anyway but if Pellegrini does win it he will be a worthy winner.

• Advertisement
Advertisement