Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manager of the year

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Mauricio Pochettino for me. He has managed to get Southampton an 8th placed finish in the table which is a fantastic achievement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

FatherTed wrote: »
    Pelegrini - new to the league, City wins the Prem and League Cup, took City further in the CL. Don't see why people should be giving prizes for finishing second.

Sure just give the league winning manager the award by default then, no need for any discussion ever.

Though I guess you will have to edit your post should City slip up on Sunday and Liverpool win the league, which shows what a short sighted viewpoint you have.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Using the "Time Magazine" criteria then definitely Moyes, otherwise it has to be Rodgers.

Pullis..maybe poyet.
    Doing what he did for Palace with limited resources. Very impressive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Considering how Liverpool have played all season and how close they've come to winning the league advert such a massive improvement this season I've voted for Rodgers. I'd have pellegrini in a very close second. Two trophies is top drawer.
    And I'd have Poyet and Pulis joint third. Amazing the turnaround with both clubs. Obviously Sunderland was concentrated into a shorter period but was no less remarkable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Poyet v Pulis for me would favour the former - Sunderland went on a great cup run to the final which inevitably had an impact on the league form with a fixture pile up, but once that was done they started to turn it round while facing some big teams and playing good football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

mike65 wrote: »
    Poyet v Pulis for me would favour the former - Sunderland went on a great cup run to the final which inevitably had an impact on the league form with a fixture pile up, but once that was done they started to turn it round while facing some big teams and playing good football.

They were absolute rubbish up until a few weeks ago. How many extra games did they have than the average Premier League team? The League Cup is a fairly short format.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Sunderland were in the Fa Cup as well until March 9th, once Altidore was ditched they got better!

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Al Capwned wrote: »
    Considering how Liverpool have played all season and how close they've come to winning the league advert such a massive improvement this season I've voted for Rodgers. I'd have pellegrini in a very close second. Two trophies is top drawer.
    And I'd have Poyet and Pulis joint third. Amazing the turnaround with both clubs. Obviously Sunderland was concentrated into a shorter period but was no less remarkable.

^ this.

• Advertisement

Sunderland were in the Fa Cup as well until March 9th, once Altidore was ditched they got better!

I'd still like to know how many more games they have played than the average EPL team if somebody could work that out???
    I can't imagine it's a huge amount.

And can we ban private polls from the soccer forum please?
    Rodgers would be winning this if it was public, I'm sure of that.

whats the difference?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

That's ridiculous. Does anyone even look at whether a poll is public or private?

I've voted for Pulis. In my opinion he would deserve it even if Liverpool had won the league.

Agueroooo wrote: »
    whats the difference?

Private poll = can vote for whatever I want without looking like an idiot.

Public poll = I'm gonna look like an idiot if I pick that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

That's ridiculous. Does anyone even look at whether a poll is public or private?

I've voted for Pulis. In my opinion he would deserve it even if Liverpool had won the league.

Even if liverpool had won the league you would still vote for Pullis. Really or are you looking for a reaction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Even the most bitter United Fan must admit Rodgers has done a superb job, Pulis as a close second!

I'd agree with you on most polls but you could argue Pullis to be on top. People would be wrong but you could argue it

niallo27 wrote: »
    Even if liverpool had won the league you would still vote for Pullis. Really or are you looking for a reaction.

Yes I would have. People are playing down his achievement, but Palace were around 1/4 to go down when he was put in charge, and looked like they didn't know what a football was. They might yet finish top half. It's an incredible achievement.

Rogers has of course done a fantastic job, but I really think what Pulis has done was more impressive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I think its Rodgers, but I would not begrudge Pulis. I would have laughed in your face if you told me Palace would end up midtable when he took over, albeit, not as much as if you told me last summer that Liverpool would go into the final game of the season with a chance of being champions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Anyone know when this award is actually announced?

• Advertisement

Yes I would have. People are playing down his achievement, but Palace were around 1/4 to go down when he was put in charge, and looked like they didn't know what a football was. They might yet finish top half. It's an incredible achievement.

Rogers has of course done a fantastic job, but I really think what Pulis has done was more impressive.

Well liverpool were 25/1 for the title maybe 33/1 in some places. If wenger had won the title this year do you think he would have deserved manager of the year. I think he would.

I'd agree with you on most polls but you could argue Pullis to be on top. People would be wrong but you could argue it

getting a team out of the bottom three and into the 11th is a hell of a lot easier than getting a team from 7th into the top4, and even into contention.

Rodgers all the way.

Well liverpool were 25/1 for the title maybe 33/1 in some places. If wenger had won the title this year do you think he would have deserved manager of the year. I think he would.

I don't know. Possibly, but I may have been biased in that. Wenger's circumstances were slightly different in that he had a far busier schedule to contend with, but that's going off topic really and so I don't want to get into that.

Yeah there is a case for Pulis but I can never trust a private poll to be a good indication of anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Yeah there is a case for Pulis but I can never trust a private poll to be a good indication of anything.

Polls on the soccer forum are usually anything but a good indication of anything. Bias nearly always skews them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

There's 6 very debatable options there and posters have put their case forward. We even had 2 or 3 other mentions.

Finding it hard to decide between Pulis and Poyet, both did it against the odds and with teams that a lot of people thought didn't have a hope. Voting Poyet because I thought they were doomed!

Rodgers not far behind and then Pelegrini for me.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Polls on the soccer forum are usually anything but a good indication of anything. Bias nearly always skews them.

Nobody is doubting Rodgers so there is no Bias in my case, can't speak for others. I would list him 3rd / 4th in a battle with Pellegrini. IF Liverpool manage to win the League Rodgers would be my first choice.

I'm basing my assessment that Poyet has kept Sunderland up from the pits of the bottom of the league at Xmas & Pullis transforming Palace

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Nobody is doubting Rodgers so there is no Bias in my case, can't speak for others. I would list him 3rd / 4th in a battle with Pellegrini. IF Liverpool manage to win the League Rodgers would be my first choice.

I'm basing my assessment that Poyet has kept Sunderland up from the pits of the bottom of the league at Xmas & Pullis transforming Palace

Wasn't it poyets fault there were bottom of the league all year as well though. He has some decent players there.

Don't get me wrong I like Pellegrini, and City will win the league.

but comparing Pellegrini success( keeping in mind the players at his disposal) and Rodgers getting LFC to runners up (potentially only on goal difference) with the limited squad that he has to chose from;then could Rodgers be seeing as doing a lot better?

also I do admire mangers that pull off the relegation battle, but imo the battle at the top, and to break into the top four is a hell of a lot harder.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I went with Rodgers. Sure Pulis did wonders with Palace, but the leap from 7th to pushing the title to the wire is much more impressive imo.

As for Pelligrini, he's definitely worth a shout but I don't think he's exceeded any expectations really.

• Advertisement

K-9 wrote: »
    both did it against the odds and with teams that a lot of people thought didn't have a hope.

People need to think objectively about what they actually did though.

They took poorly performing players and make them very well organised and hard to beat, and as a result they picked up enough points to avoid relegation. Excellent work indeed, but there are lots of managers out there who can make their teams well organised and hard to beat. Roy Hodgson did it with Fulham, while Mark Hughes and Sam Allardyce have also taken poor squads and kept them in the Premier league. Its not mission impossible.

Mission impossible is taking a relatively weak squad without any sugar daddy billions and somehow finding the consistency to mount a genuine title challenge over an entire season. There are very few managers could have done that, so its a more impressive feat.

I'm sorry but if you have Rodgers as in a battle for 3rd or 4th, I think your bias may be affecting you.
    Palace were poorly managed before Pulis and the players there are limited and suit his style of play. He did an excellent job and should be in contention.
    Poyet I'm not too sure of, I think the reason they were down there for so long could be due to him. Alitdore is a poor striker and yet he persisted with him throughout most of the season. Sunderland have a better squad than most in and around them.
    Rodgers has brought back Champions League and with a slight squad has pushed City the whole way to the end of the season and it's still not decided - heavily weighted in City's favour though. Liverpool were on a spiral to irrelevance and he halted that and made them contenders and even if they don't win the league he should be getting more respect than 3rd or 4th.

For me it's a very fluid battle between Pulis (just behind), Rodgers and Pellegrini.
    Whereas you have the two closest rivals to Utd in 3rd and 4th and my bias has a liverpool manager in contention.

Bias nearly always plays a part in a poll but I would say that for a football forum it would play even more of a part.

Consider this hypothetical:

Which would be the greater achievement next season, Leicester City avoiding relegation or Newcastle United winning the title?

Which would be the greater achievement next season, Leicester City avoiding relegation or Newcastle United winning the title?

I would even say arsenal instead of Newcastle.

Newcastle I reckon but then Newcastle haven't won anythingin yonks and the last time the contested for the title was the 90s and they were relegated not too long ago.
    If you are trying to compare them to Liverpool possibly winning this year, its not like for like and would be a far bigger achievement for Newcastle. That is unless they got new owners that pumped the cash in.
    If yur not doing that ignore the second part and focus on the first part of this post. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

I voted for Rodgers, but that's totally disingenuous. There's a massive gulf in quality between Newcastle and Liverpool. Also, you're doing a disservice to Palace. They didn't simply avoid relegation, they were nailed on for it and are now comfortably midtable, with probably the worst squad in the league.

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    I'm sorry but if you have Rodgers as in a battle for 3rd or 4th, I think your bias may be affecting you.
    Palace were poorly managed before Pulis and the players there are limited and suit his style of play. He did an excellent job and should be in contention.
    Poyet I'm not too sure of, I think the reason they were down there for so long could be due to him. Alitdore is a poor striker and yet he persisted with him throughout most of the season. Sunderland have a better squad than most in and around them.
    Rodgers has brought back Champions League and with a slight squad has pushed City the whole way to the end of the season and it's still not decided - heavily weighted in City's favour though. Liverpool were on a spiral to irrelevance and he halted that and made them contenders and even if they don't win the league he should be getting more respect than 3rd or 4th.

For me it's a very fluid battle between Pulis (just behind), Rodgers and Pellegrini.
    Whereas you have the two closest rivals to Utd in 3rd and 4th and my bias has a liverpool manager in contention.

Bias nearly always plays a part in a poll but I would say that for a football forum it would play even more of a part.

I have stated why it's not bias that's altering my decision, I have even stated that if Liverpool manage to win the League he will be my number #1 choice, my judgement is based on the hear and now at at present he is in a battle for 3rd / 4th with Pelegrini. Simple as.

If Man City win the League I will still place Pellegrini 3rd based on the resources Man City have in comparison to Liverpool.
    Wasn't it poyets fault there were bottom of the league all year as well though. He has some decent players there.

Poyet took over in October when Sunderland were already in the ****.

Results prior to his arrival;

1 17 August 2013 Sunderland 0 – 1 Fulham Stadium of Light [show]
    2 24 August 2013 Southampton 1 – 1 Sunderland St Mary's Stadium [show]
    3 31 August 2013 Crystal Palace 3 – 1 Sunderland Selhurst Park [show]
    4 14 September 2013 Sunderland 1 – 3 Arsenal Stadium of Light [show]
    5 21 September 2013 West Bromwich Albion 3 – 0 Sunderland The Hawthorns [show]
    6 29 September 2013 Sunderland 1 – 3 Liverpool Stadium of Light [show]
    7 5 October 2013 Sunderland 1 – 2 Manchester United Stadium of Light [show]
    8 19 October 2013 Swansea City 4 – 0 Sunderland Liberty Stadium [show]

For Palace;

Quote Skylinehead, Spot on post.

'They didn't simply avoid relegation, they were nailed on for it and are now comfortably midtable, with probably the worst squad in the league.'

Rodgers is definitely ahead of Pellegrini. Pelligrini has the best squad by a distance and is about to barely win the league. It's not really very impressive at all.

I think people are being skewed by how likeable the guy is. Sure he did a decent job, but shouldn't be in consideration for manager of the year any more than Wenger should be. I'd consider Arsenal coming 4th and winning the FA cup (counting chickens here, but whatever) is on par with a League Cup and League win for City, given their respective resources.

Liverpool and Palace, on the other hand, have vastly exceeded expectations.

I have stated why it's not bias that's altering my decision, I have even stated that if Liverpool manage to win the League he will be my number #1 choice, my judgement is based on the hear and now at at present he is in a battle for 3rd / 4th with Pelegrini. Simple as.

If Man City win the League I will still place Pellegrini 3rd based on the resources Man City have in comparison to Liverpool.

Poyet took over in October when Sunderland were already in the ****.

Results prior to his arrival;

1 17 August 2013 Sunderland 0 – 1 Fulham Stadium of Light [show]
    2 24 August 2013 Southampton 1 – 1 Sunderland St Mary's Stadium [show]
    3 31 August 2013 Crystal Palace 3 – 1 Sunderland Selhurst Park [show]
    4 14 September 2013 Sunderland 1 – 3 Arsenal Stadium of Light [show]
    5 21 September 2013 West Bromwich Albion 3 – 0 Sunderland The Hawthorns [show]
    6 29 September 2013 Sunderland 1 – 3 Liverpool Stadium of Light [show]
    7 5 October 2013 Sunderland 1 – 2 Manchester United Stadium of Light [show]
    8 19 October 2013 Swansea City 4 – 0 Sunderland Liberty Stadium [show]

For Palace;

Quote Skylinehead, Spot on post.

'They didn't simply avoid relegation, they were nailed on for it and are now comfortably midtable, with probably the worst squad in the league.'

He had 30 league games to turn it around. It was a miracle at the end but you cant forget how ****e sunderland were in the league for his first 20 or 25 games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

I would even say arsenal instead of Newcastle.

Well then it wouldn't work. You're taking a team who were top for 4 or 5 months this season and have always been in the top 4 of the Premier League for the last 25 years in place of a team who for the past 3 or 4 have been upper midtable, occasional Europa League qualifiers. Newcastle is a far better analogy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Rodgers for me. To jump from mid-table to title contention with a weak squad in one season is remarkable. The way he has the team playing certainly has glaring weaknesses, but he's done enough to achieve a spectacular run of results.

Pulis has done great work too, but what he has achieved is just not as difficult as what Rodgers has done. He has taken a poorly managed team and knocked them into shape very well. That's very impressive but it would never convince me that he is deserving of a top job.

While I rate Pellegrini he doesn't come close for this award. With that squad they should be always near the top of the table.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭SilverFox261

I went for Pulis because i think since he came in he consistently improved the team throughout the season. To be where they are now i think us a great achievement.

Until a few weeks ago it would have been Rodgers for me, no question. But the mistakes made in key games towards the end of the season put him just below Pulis for me.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Okay who is your manager of the year

Pellegrini* - Manager of the League Winners and League Cup winners scoring over PL 100 goals
    Rodgers* - taken team from 7th to 2nd playing some thrilling footie, 99 goals and counting
    Pulis - took over side bottom of league, would be 8th in league had season started when he arrived at Palace
    Martinez - Taken over stolid, solid side and sprinkled some fairy dust on them to make superior footballing side setting best clubs PL points tally.
    Poyet - took over a Sunderland side bottom of league which reached a Cup final and has pulled clear of danger playing well against big teams.
    Hughes - Spending almost no money has reshaped Stoke from "clever cloggers" into a fast counter attacking side achieving their best PL finish position

*obviously something remarkable could happen on Sunday but I don't think we need to think it will.

To me it has to be Rodgers or Martinez.

Rodgers: Because he turned liverpools fortunes around with some amazing football.

OR

Martinez: When he went to Everton I wasnt too convinced but he is showing how good a manager he really is now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

I'm leaning towards Pulis. Rodgers has Liverpool playing some beautiful stuff but he also has the best striker in the league and it took him two years to achieve this. His willingness to give youngsters a chance is admirable as well and he will only get better as a manager. He is definitely the man to take Liverpool forward though and they will only improve with him at the helm.

Pulis didn't have the luxury of two seasons to get it right. He took over absoulute cannon fodder and has them playing some good stuff as well. Safe from relegation with several games to spare.

Palace could finish tenth at the end of the season. That means they will finish above 10 teams that have better squads than them. Whereas if Liverpool do finish second, I would say the only teams below them that have better squads are Arsenal and Chelsea. It's close but Pulis for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Surely comparing it to Newcastle getting 2nd next season is absolutely ridiculous or am I missing something

Newcastle's average league finish over the past 7 years is 14th place, Liverpool's is 5th despite them going through one of their worst periods

Madness making that comparison

• Advertisement

Surely comparing it to Newcastle getting 2nd next season is absolutely ridiculous or am I missing something

Newcastle's average league finish over the past 7 years is 14th place, Liverpool's is 5th despite them going through one of their worst periods

Madness making that comparison

the teams he mentioned might have been wrong but you got the point, yea?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

He had 30 league games to turn it around. It was a miracle at the end but you cant forget how ****e sunderland were in the league for his first 20 or 25 games.

He took over from Di Canio who left them in a mess, what was it? 18 new players during the Summer or something.

The 2 Cup runs also would have had an effect. They also play some decent stuff, I don't get the criticism of them being too defensive at all.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Between Rodgers and Pulis, but I've just about gone for Pulis despite being a pool fan.

Liverpool have overachieved to expectations, probably by about 15 points or so, but there are some quality players on that team, none more so than Suarez. If we had got over the line, and indeed if City do the unthinkable and slip up, it's Rodgers hands down.

But Pulis' achievement is quite remarkable. To get a team seemingly destined for 20th to form worthy of 8th place over the course of the season, which would be 'the best of the rest' (top 7 teams could seen to be in a league of their own) is quite remarkable. On paper they look a poor team, but Pulis has shown what can be done in the Premier League with proper management and coaching.

Pelligrini deserves credit of course, his City team have been fantastic and to win the league in your first season is always impressive. However, they should always have been winning this league based 'on paper' quality of the squad, transfer spending and wage budget.

City would have had to crush the league, won it a couple of weeks back and got 90+ points for me to consider Pellegrini.

He has met expectations and deserves great credit for that, but his achievement is not as impressive as Rodgers or Pulis IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭aramush

Even though I'm a pool fan, TP for me. Genius. Not taking anything away from Rodgers though, great season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

People need to think objectively about what they actually did though.

They took poorly performing players and make them very well organised and hard to beat, and as a result they picked up enough points to avoid relegation. Excellent work indeed, but there are lots of managers out there who can make their teams well organised and hard to beat. Roy Hodgson did it with Fulham, while Mark Hughes and Sam Allardyce have also taken poor squads and kept them in the Premier league. Its not mission impossible.

Mission impossible is taking a relatively weak squad without any sugar daddy billions and somehow finding the consistency to mount a genuine title challenge over an entire season. There are very few managers could have done that, so its a more impressive feat.

I agree with this. Liverpool challenging with the squad they have, is more impressive than Pulis staving off relegation or Martinez (I don't rate him as highly as others) marginally beating Everton's highest points haul.

How players like Henderson, Sturridge and Sterling have performed is a credit to Rodgers' management style.

• Advertisement
Advertisement