Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manager of the year

Comments

Agueroooo wrote: »
    as I said others are using this thread for a different purpose which is a pity.
    Who is others? You post is not very specific. If your going to make open ended comments at least have something to back it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Who is others? You post is not very specific. If your going to make open ended comments at least have something to back it up.

Presumably anybody who has dared to have a different opinion

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Mickeroo wrote: »
    As for Pelligrini, he's definitely worth a shout but I don't think he's exceeded any expectations really.

On the expectations point and the credit he should get, nice article from Jonathan Wilson today...

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/may/08/manuel-pellegrini-manchester-city-title-premier-league
    When he arrived, Pellegrini insisted he was tactically flexible, not wedded to one system, and although he has tended to play either 4-4-2 or 4-2-3-1, there has been the odd dabble with 4-3-3. His career has shown him to be, essentially, a pragmatist – not in the sense in which the term is often used in football as a defensive coach, but in his willingness to adapt rather than seeking to impose a set philosophy on the team. At Málaga, for instance, he played a rapid counterattacking game, while at Villarreal the approach was slower, funnelled through the playmaking abilities of Riquelme.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

kryogen wrote: »
    Presumably anybody who has dared to have a different opinion

Wrong.
    You know what they say about assumptions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

I think i'd give it to Pulis. I remember we beat Palace 3-0 at Selhurst back in November and they were the worst PL i'd ever seen.

It's a remarkable turnaround.

Rodgers has done a superb job as well. Mark Hughes, Steve Bruce and Pochettino have done very solid jobs too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Ill leave it at that as Im dragging the discussion off topic and personally I dont know who deserves manager of the season as 4/5 have great claims in their own way.

Some fair points, and I agree, we could argue about it all day and neither of us would be convinced. I just know that I'd always be wondering about that point lost if I was a pool fan.
    No doubt that the eleven consecutive wins to put them into that position was incredible and they were a juggernaut at that point. I'd have no gripes if Rodgers wins it at all, he's done a great job there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Thought there's been a decent standard of debate on this topic

Wrong.
    You know what they say about assumptions.

Is it similar to what they say about presumptions?

bad2dabone wrote: »

There has in fairness, one of the Liverpool posters, can't remember which said it earlier, you can make a good argument for 6 of them, personally I can only make a decent argument for 4 but that's irrelevant.

There is a discussion to have on it, people will have different opinions on it, bias will come into it too naturally being the soccer forum, but overall people have made good points for their chosen candidate

bad2dabone wrote: »

Yea the majority having a good debate with valid points from both sides.

• Advertisement

Yea the majority having a good debate with valid points from both sides.
    From this....

To this...

Its all so vague

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Chronologically, it was the other way around Mick. Does it make more sense now? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,747 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Voted Rodgers. Steve Bruce should be there IMO, they were tipped by many to come bottom of the league yet he had the safe with a fair few games to go and they've a cup final to come. Qualified for the Europa league too.

AdamD wrote: »
    Voted Rodgers. Steve Bruce should be there IMO, they were tipped by many to come bottom of the league yet he had the same with a fair few games to go and they've a cup final to come. Qualified for the Europa league too.

Actually do you know what that's a great shout.
    Bruce should definitely be in the conversation.

I think Bruce has gone under the radar a bit because there has been no real drama there, they have consistently gone along through the season, never really in danger of challenging for honours at the end or of being relegated, he is unlucky in a way too, the achievements of Rodgers, Pulis et al would put most managers in the shade this year

Edit: Ha he did actually get an honour by the end of the season! He should definitely be in the conversation actually :)

Knex. wrote: »
    Chronologically, it was the other way around Mick. Does it make more sense now? :p
    Even I will laugh at that :pac: but really....it's turned into a wind up because 'others' know I'm right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

I think the poll attached reflects the number of Liverpool fans on this site. Rodgers did well and Pulis did well, so did Poyet to keep Sunderland up.

After winning the double of League and Carling Cup Pelligrini is manager of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I'd completely disagree with the Steve Bruce shouts. They finished 16th in the league and spent near £30m. Nothing out of the ordinary. I'm not sure if the cups count in these awards, but even if they do you won't find a team with an easier run to any cup final - Middlesboro, Brighton, Southend, Sunderland and Sheffield United. They'd be favourites in all those ties.

He's a decent manager IMO but should be nowhere near this award in a year where Pulis, Poyet, Rodgers and Pelligrini have done what they have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Rodgers for me. Exceeded any realistic expectations at the start of the season. Pulis in second and Pellegrini a close 3rd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Pulis wins! :D
    Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes

Confirmed: Tony Pulis is Premier League manager of the year (voted for by LMA, ie fellow managers)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Well done to Tony Pulis.

Clearly getting from bottom to 11th is tougher than 7th to 2nd.

Fair play Pulis.

Is it true he might be out of a job soon? Him and the chairman don't see eye to eye supposedly.

Newcastle?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭JerCotter7

Johner wrote: »
    Pulis wins! :D

Deserved it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

Well deserved for Pulis , the man has done wonders at Crystal Palace

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Fair play Pulis.

Is it true he might be out of a job soon? Him and the chairman don't see eye to eye supposedly.

Newcastle?

Wut!?! They should double his salary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

if Pulis does leave - how do you think he will do at a bigger club - a Newcastle or the like - can't see him ever offered a bigger job - like Spurs , never mind the big 5

will he always just manage at the level he has - mid- to lower level teams ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Says now Rodgers won the LMA award.

Pulis won something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes 1m
    And the overall LMA Manager of the Year* is ....... Brendan Rodgers

(*Across all four divisions, voted for by all the managers)
    .;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

Pulis for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

I was saving this for the league win that never came, may as well leave it here:

6166d9b0560aff5f79b1112ac90fce28.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Pulis took over palace when they were a massive 3 points from safety with 20+ league games to turn it about and a transfer window to sort things out. He done a very good job but nothing extraordinary tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭chasm

LMA Manager of the Year sponsored by Barclays – Brendan Rodgers, Liverpool – presented by Roy Hodgson

Barclays Premier League Manager of the Year – Tony Pulis, Crystal Palace - presented by Howard Wilkinson

Happy with that :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

klose wrote: »
    Pulis took over palace when they were a massive 3 points from safety with 20+ league games to turn it about and a transfer window to sort things out. He done a very good job but nothing extraordinary tbh.

Nearly more a reflection of how bad Holloway was doing with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Johner wrote: »
    Says now Rodgers won the LMA award.

Pulis won something else.

Rodgers won the LMA award voted for by every football league manager across the 4 divisions.

Pulis won the Premier League award voted for by Premier League managers only.

Actually I might be mistaken according to the LMA website.
    The LMA Manager of the Year Award is voted for by all LMA members and goes to the manager who, in their opinion, has made the greatest use of the resources available to him in the current season.

The Barclays Premier League Manager of the Year is decided by the Barclays Panel of Judges.

No wonder there's confusion with that kind of carry on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭the incredible pudding

Nice that they could share the honours as they both deserve recognition.

Good to see recognition for great jobs done by both men.

Pellegrini deserves something too but the league trophy will just have to do for now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

Anyone that listens to Sky Sports with blinkers will vote for Pulis. Hardly surprising. No doubt he did well this season but probalby as well as Poyet in the grand scheme of things and just showed he was capable of getting more from a decent Palace side. His style of defencive football doesn't always work however but he does get the kudos for where they ended up. But for manager of the year it has to be Rodgers really - the transformation is incredible from 7th last season to deny that means you are probably a United supporter and trying to come to terms with a sensational season or you still have your subscription to Sky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Anyone that listens to Sky Sports with blinkers will vote for Pulis. Hardly surprising. No doubt he did well this season but probalby as well as Poyet in the grand scheme of things and just showed he was capable of getting more from a decent Palace side. His style of defencive football doesn't always work however but he does get the kudos for where they ended up. But for manager of the year it has to be Rodgers really - the transformation is incredible from 7th last season to deny that means you are probably a United supporter and trying to come to terms with a sensational season or you still have your subscription to Sky.

:rolleyes:

Absolutely fully deserved and well done Brendan Rodgers.

also well done Tony Pulis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

Is 2nd place the new 4th place trophy? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

There is 24 years of hurt in this one! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭secman

So the PL managers chose Pullis as the best in their league, but all the overall members including all the sacked ones , voted for Rogers. That vote doesn't seem fair, as I doubt very much that a manager outside of PL would ever have a chance of winning it. Sure The charming man would prefer his winners medal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

the transformation is incredible from 7th last season to deny that means you are probably a United supporter and trying to come to terms with a sensational season or you still have your subscription to Sky.

What an utterly stupid thing to say.

Surely Moyes was given some award?

Even the bumps by fellow managers

Wot I said on the a gambling thread about the LMA Manager of the Year
    Clearly has a chance but only if LFC finish top or within 3 points of the winning team I think. Clearly if Arsenal win Wenger will win as that would be an excellent achievement, Chelsea or City doing it would feel like financial doping in action so the LMA might reward either Wenger or Rodgers for a close 2nd and if that was the choice then the greater points improvement of Liverpool would be most likely to be rewarded.

That's how I see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

thebaz wrote: »
    if Pulis does leave - how do you think he will do at a bigger club - a Newcastle or the like - can't see him ever offered a bigger job - like Spurs , never mind the big 5

will he always just manage at the level he has - mid- to lower level teams ?

Mid to lower is his level IMO. There's nothing wrong with that of course, some managers are just suited that way. His playing style, transfer strategy (and record), the fact he likes to have control over everything at the club, dictates that IMO.

Spurs definitely wouldn't work and I'd be very surprised if Newcastle sacked Pardew anyway. Pardew knows he'll never get a bigger job so is happy to act as Ashley's hand puppet, get destroyed in the media for his actions and not spend a penny, yet do relatively well (5th and 10th placed finishes in two of the last three years). It seems to be a relationship that suits both parties.

I can see a bit of a manager merry-go-round any day now...all kicked off by Shaw and Lallana being sold....

Pulis--->Sunderland/Poyet-->Southampton/Poncherello---->Spurs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Paully D wrote: »
    Spurs definitely wouldn't work and I'd be very surprised if Newcastle sacked Pardew anyway. Pardew knows he'll never get a bigger job so is happy to act as Ashley's hand puppet, get destroyed in the media for his actions and not spend a penny, yet do relatively well (5th and 10th placed finishes in two of the last three years). It seems to be a relationship that suits both parties.

Newcastle have been in free fall for a while now. I might be wrong but it looks like Pardew may have lost the dressing room. The fact that it didn't shock me that they had two players sent off at Anfield says it all.

If that is the case, I think Ashley has little choice but to change manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,929 ✭✭✭KH25

Nice to see both Rodgers and Pulis win the awards. Rodgers has transformed Liverpool into a very good team and Pulis completely turned around Palace's season. Congratulations to both.

• Advertisement
Advertisement