Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Piercing course

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭osaurus

Sounds like a gigantic waste of time and money.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

lol certificate given on completion?? I could print you up one righ now and it'd be just as well respected. Utter scam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭topcatcbr

I was thinking the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Snake

If they're an actual professional, then it's fair enough... But piercing training takes years.. So if it was a position for apprentice and not a course then if believe it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

The piercer in Pins N Needles is offering something similar... just cements my decision to never ever go there for a piercing or tattoo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

January wrote: »
    The piercer in Pins N Needles is offering something similar... just cements my decision to never ever go there for a piercing or tattoo.

Don't. I'm going to be paying a fcuking fortune to fix the awful tattoo they did on my arm.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Honestly--How hard is it to stick a needle in someone???

My daughter who started working one day a week in a piercing place for TY has graduated to doing fairly technical peircings--most ear piercings,facials,nipples,navels ect..And that's in 6 months of one day a week so 24 full days.

I reckon you could probably pick up a lot in one of these intensive courses if it was a month or so long.

However you still need to be practicising piercing actual people in a safe and hygienic way to become completely competent as a piercer.

<<<<whoo hoo 7000 post!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭osaurus

Hellrazer wrote: »

My daughter who started working one day a week in a piercing place for TY has graduated to doing fairly technical peircings--most ear piercings,facials,nipples,navels ect..And that's in 6 months of one day a week so 24 full days.

I reckon you could probably pick up a lot in one of these intensive courses if it was a month or so long.

However you still need to be practicising piercing actual people in a safe and hygienic way to become completely competent as a piercer.

To be a phlebotomist takes 2 days... it's not rocket science and think it's a bit glorified by some. There's a lot of 'chancers' offering these courses, looking to take money from eager younger folk. Seen it myself few years back.

An apprenticeship is the only way. Practice, practice, practice. Even then the chances of landing a job afterwards is slim as there are butt loads of piercers in Dublin at the moment.

Piercing isn't "sticking a needle" in someone's ear or face or body.. It's a lot harder than it sounds, and you need a careful and steady hand.. A piercing can go crooked, and when it heals be painful to remove (for cleaning etc) if you don't clean or sterilise the jewellery right you can give the person an infection.. If you pierce a blood vessel they can bleed.. Not that bad but if you freak out they freak and that causes blood pressure to spike and they'll bleed more.. You have to deal with people who are nervous and jumpy, and shaky, which is difficult.. In theory it's sticking a needle but practically it's not that easy

GrayFox208 wrote: »
    Piercing isn't "sticking a needle" in someone's ear or face or body.

Funny. That's exactly what I thought it is.

Seriously tho it's not rocket science or brain surgery.

• Advertisement

topcatcbr wrote: »
    Funny. That's exactly what I thought it is.

Seriously tho it's not rocket science or brain surgery.

Put it this way then, it's not all it is. No, but it's not something anyone with two hands can do either. It takes a lot of training and practice, not a course for 2 weeks, or a kit for 50 quid off eBay with free needles and a booklet

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

Actually piercing anything is a piece of p I s, it is literally taking a cannula and making a hole in something other thana vein.......However using universal precautions and best practise takes time to learn. How this is not regulated is beyond me.....
    Atleast someone who goes for this is better than the self taught variety of piercer....

dharma200 wrote: »
    Actually piercing anything is a piece of p I s, it is literally taking a cannula and making a hole in something other thana vein.......However using universal precautions and best practise takes time to learn. How this is not regulated is beyond me.....
    Atleast someone who goes for this is better than the self taught variety of piercer....

I agree. I think some make it out like its surgery. It's not.

In reality junkies use needles and pierce themselves daily.

I think the most important thing to learn is the hygiene aspect.

I have no intention of doing this course as I think it's a bit of a scam. I've no intention of getting employment as a piercer. I was curious as to what people think of this type of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

Much harder than you think. If was that easy , we'd all be setting up makeshift studios in our kitchens for the sake of a few easy bucks. Personally, if I found out my piercer had been actively piercing for 1 day a week over 6 months I'd be out of there so fast I'd leave a dust trail. And whatever studio is letting you daughter pierce nipples, especially female nipples, is not a studio worth trusting.

Much harder than you think. If was that easy , we'd all be setting up makeshift studios in our kitchens for the sake of a few easy bucks. Personally, if I found out my piercer had been actively piercing for 1 day a week over 6 months I'd be out of there so fast I'd leave a dust trail. And whatever studio is letting you daughter pierce nipples, especially female nipples, is not a studio worth trusting.

I'd be interested in how you think your piercer's learned their profession.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Personally, if I found out my piercer had been actively piercing for 1 day a week over 6 months I'd be out of there so fast I'd leave a dust trail. And whatever studio is letting you daughter pierce nipples, especially female nipples, is not a studio worth trusting.

Really? I'm pretty sure that anyone being pierced by her would have made it clear to them that it was an apprentice, and the process was most likely guided by the piercer.

How dare a piercing apprentice learn piercing by piercing people!

I'd be interested in how you think your piercer's learned their profession.
    Really? I'm pretty sure that anyone being pierced by her would have made it clear to them that it was an apprentice, and the process was most likely guided by the piercer.

How dare a piercing apprentice learn piercing by piercing people!

He never mentioned anything about supervision. And IMO, after 24 spaced out days she shouldn't be piercing anyone. I'd have no problem being pierced by an apprentice who had been working at it daily and absorbing information.

Then you could say "No thanks, I'd rather not have the apprentice", and the proper piercer would pierce you...

He never mentioned anything about supervision. And IMO, after 24 spaced out days she shouldn't be piercing anyone. I'd have no problem being pierced by an apprentice who had been working at it daily and absorbing information.

how many days do you think it should take before someone gets to pierce another.

personally I think a week is more than enough. I'd imagine the first few would be volunteers and get it done free.

I think if it was done wrong then it's a simple matter of removing the ring and letting it heal.

No offence to Hellrazers daughter, but if i seen the piercer her age who can't get her own nipples pierced off piercing other peoples I'd advise everyone to avoid the shop like the plague

• Advertisement

No offence to Hellrazers daughter, but if i seen the piercer her age who can't get her own nipples pierced off piercing other peoples I'd advise everyone to avoid the shop like the plague

Fair point. I agree you should at least be able to get the procedure to do it. If for no other reason than to be able to understand what the recipient is going through.

Then you could say "No thanks, I'd rather not have the apprentice", and the proper piercer would pierce you...

I'd seriously question any shop that would let someone so inexperienced do complicated piercings. I'd rather just take my business elsewhere.

Don't get me wrong, I know people have to learn, but there's much more to piercing than just 'sticking a needle in someone' and I highly doubt it could be picked up in 24 spaced out days.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Fair point. I agree you should at least be able to get the procedure to do it. If for no other reason than to be able to understand what the recipient is going through.

16 year old girls shouldn't be getting that piercing for developmental reasons, in fairness nobody under the age of about 22 should be getting nipples pierced anyway but I don't know of anywhere that won't pierce you over 18. I don't think its a pre-requisite for a piercer to have gotten every piercing they are giving for better understanding to do a better job :confused: People in many professions study how to do procedures without any experience of receiving them.

I don't think it's a big issue. If someone is mature and confident, picks up the work easily and is well supervised I wouldn't have a problem regarding age.

16 year old girls shouldn't be getting that piercing for developmental reasons, in fairness nobody under the age of about 22 should be getting nipples pierced anyway but I don't know of anywhere that won't pierce you over 18. I don't think its a pre-requisite for a piercer to have gotten every piercing they are giving for better understanding to do a better job :confused: People in many professions study how to do procedures without any experience of receiving them.

I don't think it's a big issue. If someone is mature and confident, picks up the work easily and is well supervised I wouldn't have a problem regarding age.

Seriously she is still legally a child and should not be piercing people. I can honestly not see how this is even up for debate

No legislation regulating it in Ireland though!

Just giving my opinion, I wouldn't have a problem with it. If she needs a guinea pig I have plenty of non holey body parts :D

I'd seriously question any shop that would let someone so inexperienced do complicated piercings. I'd rather just take my business elsewhere.

Don't get me wrong, I know people have to learn, but there's much more to piercing than just 'sticking a needle in someone' and I highly doubt it could be picked up in 24 spaced out days.

Not trying to be smart arsed here, but you worked in Claire's before, right? How much training did they give people before giving them a disgusting gun to rip up kids ears?

Not trying to be smart arsed here, but you worked in Claire's before, right? How much training did they give people before giving them a disgusting gun to rip up kids ears?

And if you read back over any post of mine regarding working in claires you'll see that I have nothing but bad words to say about them, how they train staff and how they pierce. I had no choice, I either pierced ears in a way I didn't like or I lost my job. There was nothing voluntary about it.

My experience of working is that people have vastly different learning curves. What I picked up in a few weeks of my current job, people who have been here 7/8 months still can't grasp. I'm sure piercing, and any other job, is the same. Some people just take to it and pick up the skills much faster than others might have.

Age isn't a big deal to me and I'm sure her supervisor is confident in her ability and maturity to move her on to more advanced piercings.

And if you read back over any post of mine regarding working in claires you'll see that I have nothing but bad words to say about them, how they train staff and how they pierce. I had no choice, I either pierced ears in a way I didn't like or I lost my job. There was nothing voluntary about it.

Oh I know that, you detested the place, and that they made you do that!
    24 days training to do piercings cleanly with a needle vs 5 minutes to be shown how to butcher a kids ear is more my point! I just meant you know what bad practice is from being forced to watch and take part in that!

• Advertisement

I agree 100% however I do think that they should be an adult especially when it comes to more intimate areas.

I wouldn't like my daughter working in an area where she's expected to touch other peoples intimate area's until she was legally independent and can make her own adult decisions.

I also would be uncomfortable having a legal minor touching me.

Advertisement