Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Piercing course

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

topcatcbr wrote: »
    I agree 100% however I do think that they should be an adult especially when it comes to more intimate areas.

I wouldn't like my daughter working in an area where she's expected to touch other peoples intimate area's until she was legally independent and can make her own adult decisions.

I also would be uncomfortable having a legal minor touching me.

Yeah get your tits out there for the 16 year old to pierce you.

Legal bad area for everyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Ah here. While I'm not sure I agree with a 16 year old doing intimate piercings, this 'she's touching private parts' thing is bollocks. She's not touching them in a sexual manner, ffs. There's no legal issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

You seem to sexualizing the whole procedure there though.

Ah here. While I'm not sure I agree with a 16 year old doing intimate piercings, this 'she's touching private parts' thing is bollocks. She's not touching them in a sexual manner, ffs. There's no legal issues.

legally there is. Doesn't have to be sexual for it to be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Nobody mentioned her touching "intimate parts", there's a bit of diving off the deep end going on here folks! Nipple was mentioned, gender wasn't, and neither was genital piercing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Personally, if I found out my piercer had been actively piercing for 1 day a week over 6 months I'd be out of there so fast I'd leave a dust trail.
    I'd be interested in how many days you think someone should someone watch before they can pierce?

the_syco wrote: »
    I'd be interested in how many days you think someone should someone watch before they can pierce?

1 day a week is not an apprenticeship. IF she was in 5 days a week for 6 months, no bothers! Watching how everything is done, absorbing information constantly, learning everything, once a week is not enough in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭topcatcbr

Sexual or not I think you might find there could be all sorts of legal issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

Oh I know that, you detested the place, and that they made you do that!
    24 days training to do piercings cleanly with a needle vs 5 minutes to be shown how to butcher a kids ear is more my point! I just meant you know what bad practice is from being forced to watch and take part in that!

Even at that I was only ever piercing lobes, I did my best to discreetly turn people off cartilage piercings. You can't do too much permanent damage if you balls that up. Balls a nipple up and you could have serious consequences.

Claires piercing ears is complete horse crap, and shouldn't be allowed. But neither should Hellrazers situation imo.

the_syco wrote: »

As someone already said, the girl isn't working an apprenticeship! She's doing one day a week!

• Advertisement

You seem to sexualizing the whole procedure there though.

I'm not but I could imagine some scenarios where alleged abuse may be made. I'd just rather not take any chances.

As someone already said, the girl isn't working an apprenticeship! She's doing one day a week!

can you show an officially recognized apprenticeship for piercing.

I highly doubt there is such a thing. There is hardly that much to learn compared with say a mechanic or electrician. Maybe as part of a beauticians training but not a stand alone skill.

I highly doubt there is such a thing. There is hardly that much to learn compared with say a mechanic or electrician. Maybe as part of a beauticians training but not a stand alone skill.

From my knowledge people spend quite a while in studio learning about anatomy, sterilization, placements, aftercare, hygiene. Not something you can learn proficiently in 24 days.

From my knowledge people spend quite a while in studio learning about anatomy, sterilization, placements, aftercare, hygiene. Not something you can learn proficiently in 24 days.

Hardly an apprenticeship either.

I'm not saying it's not a skill. I'm not sure if it takes all that long to learn the basic principles enough to start to get practice on people.

Hardly an apprenticeship either.

I'm not saying it's not a skill. I'm not sure if it takes all that long to learn the basic principles enough to start to get practice on people.

And as it has been said if it was 24 days in a much tighter time frame, and without the interruption of schoolwork it would be an entirely different story.

And as it has been said if it was 24 days in a much tighter time frame, and without the interruption of schoolwork it would be an entirely different story.

Maybe.

I'm not sure. I'd be more concerned with the persons interest levels. Some might find time to study up between days in studio. I think it's being done as part of TY. While I think I'd be concerned about the age a little I can imagine it being a very productive way of doing TY. It could in fact be the ideal way to learn this craft.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭Sinister Kid

http://www.donedeal.ie/businessopportunities-for-sale/body-piercing-course/6106723

I'd be interested in what professional pierces here think of this course.

Seems unlikely you'd get a job from it. But it might be interesting.

I'd be interested to know how they plan on teaching this "course". If its only short term and not done from a shop where their would be a flow of customers, do they have a queue of guinea pigs willing to let somebody inexperienced practice on them? Or do they have to bring their own "model" like they do with the likes of nail/beauty courses... :confused:

I'd be interested to know how they plan on teaching this "course". If its only short term and not done from a shop where their would be a flow of customers, do they have a queue of guinea pigs willing to let somebody inexperienced practice on them? Or do they have to bring their own "model" like they do with the likes of nail/beauty courses... :confused:

I really have no idea. I saw it. And thought what would boardies think about the idea.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Jesus I really have stirred a nice debate here.

Really? I'm pretty sure that anyone being pierced by her would have made it clear to them that it was an apprentice, and the process was most likely guided by the piercer.

How dare a piercing apprentice learn piercing by piercing people!

It is guided and for what its worth some people have refused.To be honest she has probably only done one or two complicated piercings-the majority being lobes and noses.

He never mentioned anything about supervision. And IMO, after 24 spaced out days she shouldn't be piercing anyone. I'd have no problem being pierced by an apprentice who had been working at it daily and absorbing information.

Clarified now but cmon youre just being cynical shes hardly piercing without supervision.
    FWIW she has been offered a full time apprenticeship to start in the summer.
    Then you could say "No thanks, I'd rather not have the apprentice", and the proper piercer would pierce you...

As happens most days especially with people who know their piercings.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

So in your opinion is 24 days in one of these courses any more or less valuable than 24 days spaced out.
    My daughter eats/sleeps/dreams of piercings.When shes not in the shop she reads and watches all the apprenticeship training material that her mentor gives her.
    She practices most days on a training dummy to get things right.

Her mentor wouldn't have let her near a human without having some confidence in her.He also wouldn't have offered her an apprenticeship at 16 if he wasn't confident in her.

We`re allowing her to take it up for the summer but come leaving cert year in September it will be back to one day a week and he understands that.

• Advertisement

neither should Hellrazers situation imo.

Sorry I have to disagree with this.I know its only a day a week but she is still learning from an experienced person.

http://www.profound-piercing.co.uk/intensive.html

Heres a 6 day course recommended by "the industry"

So 6 days??And you are a competent piercer??
    That's more bull**** that than training with someone who is experienced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Best of luck to your daughter with her apprenticeship, Hellrazer. :) And fair play to her for being so determined and working so hard to get it all right. :)

Nobody mentioned her touching "intimate parts", there's a bit of diving off the deep end going on here folks! Nipple was mentioned, gender wasn't, and neither was genital piercing.

We`re going a bit mad here. Shes not done any genital piercings and only done one nipple-male I think under close supervision.

The sexualisation of this is a bit over the top to be honest.

Tattooists and piercers are there to be professional and part of that being professional is that there is no sexualisation of either as in both you can have a client partially unclothed.

Does anyone think that a junior doctor gets turned on at the sight of "intimate bits" that are under examination?? I highly doubt it!!!But saying that a piercer or tattooist does is the same thing.
    Its unfair to think that of either practitioner.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

I call thinly veiled sexism.
    Your mechanic can't give you hep if they screw up your oil change, jackass. Beautician indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Your mechanic can't give you hep if they screw up your oil change, jackass. Beautician indeed.

Are you claiming women can't be mechanics or electricians?

I believe his intent was other commonly apprenticeship based jobs. But I could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

Are you claiming women can't be mechanics or electricians?

I believe his intent was other commonly apprenticeship based jobs. But I could be wrong.

are you claiming they aren't in a tiny minority? sorry, but adding the "beautician" bit was the clincher.

also, the point about hep still stands.

I have to admit, I the lack of knowledge in this thread genuinely surprises me. Yes, anyone can shove a needle in someone. The question is whether they can do it cleanly, and whether it is correctly placed so that it will actually heal. Both of those things require experience and training.

My points are

1.Can a person learn to pierce in one of these money scamming courses

or

2. Is it not better to be doing training with someone under close supervision in a clean and hygienic environment even if it is only on a part time basis?

Some users are assuming that my daughter has been piercing anybody and everybody..but the reality is the person is given the option of the main piercer or the trainee under supervision who is training her in all aspects of hygiene cleanliness.

So far the people who opted for the trainee have been really happy with their piercings.

Id love to know your honest opinion BR as youre around this industry for years.Can a part time apprenticeship lead to good experience in this profession?

We really are behind her if this is her decision to go into this as long as she gets a good leaving cert and either a diploma or degree to fall back on.

But they could in reality kill you outright if they didn't tighten up a wheel nut or leave a wheel loose...believe me Ive been down the road of more than one case where mechanics have been dismissed for dangerous practices that could have killed someone.

i don't understand your point.

i was comparing the training required to do an apprenticeship. Staged exams in conjunction with a program of recognized training set out by a recognized awarding body. Eg C&Gs or dept of education or third level institutions. In Ireland Fetac or Hetac.

There was no sexism in any of my statement's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Pierced Off

OK, haven't posted for a while but I saw this and felt I had to get involved.
    Firstly, all this b*&%$*x about "Apprenticeships" There isn't now, nor ever has been, a piercing apprenticeship. It doesn't takes 2-3 years to learn, it isn't rocket science and most "piercers" who take on apprentice's are looking for cheap labour.
    The majority of the Pierced and piercing community in this country seem to place an almost mystical aura about what they do. At the end of the day it is basically putting a needle through various parts of the human body. Yes there is a certain skill to it, yes I know hygiene, sterilisation etc. But come on 2 years to learn this.... I think not.
    The most important things for any trainee piercer are practice and correct guidance. Provided they are being shown and taught the correct procedure for performing a particular piercing, it is the practice and the continually performing this procedure that makes them a good piercer. If they are able to get to practice this 100 times in 20 days, is that not better than practicing it 20 times in 2 years? I don't necessarily agree that school children, working part time, should learn to be piercers but at the end of the day, if they're been taught properly,then whats the problem. We all had to start somewhere.
    Before you all jump in with the "What the F*%K does he know".....ex paramedic (knowledge of anatomy), piercing over 20 years, pierced all over the UK, still piercing in Dublin. Never had an apprentice but have passe don my knowledge to countless people, providing they were willing to learn, showed common sense and could get the all important PRACTICE!!

Advertisement