Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visiting Galway for weekend - recommendations?

Options
  • 07-05-2014 11:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭

My girlfriend and I are visiting Galway this weekend (Saturday-Monday). I've been a good few times, but she hasn't since she was quite young.

We'd like to make the most of it, and were thinking of a trip to one of the Aran Islands for Sunday. Does anyone know what the best way to book such a trip is (and which island is the best to visit?)

Is there anything else people would recommend if you were visiting Galway? We have a car, so we can do things outside the city.

What are people's thoughts on Connemara National Park, Galway Atlantaquaria and Salthill Promenade?

Any recommendations would be appreciated. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Prom is good for a Sunday morning walk to clear the head, as youve a car a roadtrip to Connemara is great, down to Roundstone, out the Sky Road and around by Leenane are all great. To book the Aran tour just go to the offices on Forster St or the bottom of Eyre Square opposite AIB.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

I dont know what is so good about connemara. Lots of small sheep and bogs and thats it and they all speak irish.

Salthill is pretty cool. Barna is pretty nice and scenic. You could go canoeing in the lough corrib or take a boat trip

• Registered Users Posts: 29,361 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

It's looking pretty windy for Sunday off Galway, a day trip out to the Aran Islands may not be the most comfortable of experiences :eek:

Connemara is absolutely stunning, I could spend a whole weekend just driving around there alone.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    It's looking pretty windy for Sunday off Galway, a day trip out to the Aran Islands may not be the most comfortable of experiences :eek:

Connemara is absolutely stunning, I could spend a whole weekend just driving around there alone.

Just make sure you fill the tank with enough petrol:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

For the expense and time it takes I've always thought a longer trip to any of the Aran Islands makes more sense than a day trip. I'd wait and do longer there if you have time.There's plenty of gorgeous places in Connemara as another poster mentioned - Maam valley and Killary harbour are favourites. You could do a big loop and come back via Roundstone - there's a good seafood restaurant there too, name escapes me though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

Roquentin wrote: »
    I dont know what is so good about connemara. Lots of small sheep and bogs and thats it and they all speak irish.

Salthill is pretty cool. Barna is pretty nice and scenic. You could go canoeing in the lough corrib or take a boat trip

Salthill is past it, ugly empty buildings... Buildings that aren't empty are chip shops, pokies, bookies . The prom is nice to walk but that's about it..

You would want dry weather for Aran , beautiful there, but plenty if walking to do ( dun aenghus)

Kylemore abbey is a really nice trip and they don't rip you off and as someone mentioned coming back through round stone etc would be a lovely way to spend a Sunday.

Galway city on a sat is full of life... Day And night!

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭mercuroman

My girlfriend and I are visiting Galway this weekend (Saturday-Monday). I've been a good few times, but she hasn't since she was quite young.

We'd like to make the most of it, and were thinking of a trip to one of the Aran Islands for Sunday. Does anyone know what the best way to book such a trip is (and which island is the best to visit?)

Is there anything else people would recommend if you were visiting Galway? We have a car, so we can do things outside the city.

What are people's thoughts on Connemara National Park, Galway Atlantaquaria and Salthill Promenade?

Any recommendations would be appreciated. :)

If you have the car and its any way decent weather-wise then do go out to Connemara National Park.
    If you're feeling any way athletic you can "climb" to the top of Diamond Hill which give you amazing views. There's a decent pathway to follow all the way up.
    It will take an hour+ to drive out there and another 1-2 hours to walk up and down Diamond Hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭connollys

yea, Diamond hill is a nice walk if the weather is good. Nothing stressful, good path the entire route and great views.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭metroburgers

Imo the Galway Atlantaquaria is crap and overpriced. A nice thing to do is getting fish & chips at McDonaghs, and eat/relax at Spanish Arch if weather is nice. There's a funfair going on near the Docks now if that's your thing!

Id say it would be more enjoyable to cycle in connemara rather than drive. Youd get to experience it more if thats your thing.(A bit like Zen and the Art of motorcycle Maintenance, the book) Just the weather is temperamental in ireland.

• Advertisement
Advertisement