Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Motorcycle Marshall at Cycle Against Suicide dies in fatal accident

• 07-05-2014 11:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭

A 69-year-old man has been killed in a road traffic accident in Co Donegal this morning.

It is understood that the man was working as a steward for the 'Cycle Against Suicide' initiative.

The man was fatally injured when his motorbike crashed into a truck at Loughmor, Barnsmore Gap on the road between Donegal town and Ballybofey.

The collision occurred at approximately 1150am this morning and the man was pronounced dead at the scene.

He was taken to Letterkenny General hospital where a post mortem was carried out.

The incident happened approximately 45 minutes after the group of cyclists departed from Donegal town.

No cyclists were involved in the accident and all cyclists returned to Donegal following the accident.

No decision has been made as yet with regards to the remaining four days of the cycle.

Jim Breen, founder of Cycle Against Suicide said “Our thoughts and prayers are with our dear friend and his family at this incredibly difficult time. Our hearts are simply broken.”

The driver of the truck was uninjured.

The road was closed to facilitate a Forensic Collision Examination and has since reopened.

Very, very sad news. I took part in the first eight days of the cycle and these guys were doing a great job at keeping the rest of us safe. RIP

Full article: http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/cycle-against-suicide-steward-69-killed-in-donegal-road-crash-30254115.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭nerrad1983

dceire wrote: »
    Very, very sad news. I took part in the first eight days of the cycle and these guys were doing a great job at keeping the rest of us safe. RIP

Full article: http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/cycle-against-suicide-steward-69-killed-in-donegal-road-crash-30254115.html

RIP to the rider

Very sad story

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Heard about this accident yesterday, only discovered in the last few minutes that it was one of the marshalls.

Done several cycling events, including on this stretch or road, were motorcycle marshalls were used, and have found everyone of them ultra friendly, professional, and curtious.

Condolences to the mans friends, family, colleagues, and everyone involved in the event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

R.I.P

Prayers to his family and friends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Poor guy. Had a few of these lads in the bar I work in in Cork last week when they were down here.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭DubVelo

Really awful that a guy giving his time to help keep an event like this safe should lose his life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Position of vehicles is puzzling; and there's some escape room on the road margins.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭markad1

So sad. Condolences to his family and friends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

Position of vehicles is puzzling; and there's some escape room on the road margins.

I found it very odd too, it's a very wide open stretch of road. I was speaking to a few people who were there but did not witness it, they said that the weather conditions were horrendous at the time.

Advertisement