Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fundraising

• 07-05-2014 11:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I'm doing the flora women's mini marathon on June 2nd 2014 to raise funds for a local animal SPCA.

The SPCA gave me official sponsor forms for the event and I live in a tiny village where everybody knows me but With all the drama surrounding charities and where funds are going is it still acceptable for me to go to people's doors and ask if they would like to sponsor me? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

If everyone knows you and you can verify any questions people ask, then go for it!!

Nowadays and I loathe to say this...be careful. People don't answer their doors anymore (I don't) and especially don't give money straight off.

Gone be the days we'd call around peoples doors "will ya sponsor me" with no questions asked.Did I just say that :confused::o I sound like an aul one but SingitOut if you're well respected and known in your area I for one applaud what you're doing.

Be prepared for lots of questions though (be well informed on your SPCAs policies etc)...people are very wary these days and rightly so.

Facebook is my port of call for fundraising now and door-to-door my last. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

SingItOut wrote: »
    Hi all, I'm doing the flora women's mini marathon on June 2nd 2014 to raise funds for a local animal SPCA.

The SPCA gave me official sponsor forms for the event and I live in a tiny village where everybody knows me but With all the drama surrounding charities and where funds are going is it still acceptable for me to go to people's doors and ask if they would like to sponsor me? :confused:

Personally I think lots of people are not prepared to part with cash to a stranger at the door - myself included, I just dont like those cards hat people fill in, there are many that never get returned to the charities (not suggesting you would do this OP)..

I did "hell and back" June of last year for the Irish Cancer Society (they were amazing when my mum was dying) and here's how I raised over €2k...

Set up your own page, where people can donate online securely, I used website:

http://www.mycharity.ie/index.php

They will take a small fees for admin costs but i know lots of people who donate via these pages as it ensures them the charity is actually getting the money... while people donate to you on your page, the charity receives teh money directly, you never need to think about it. Plus the charity will send you out a letter stating how much money the received etc.

Share it through your facbook page / twitter asking friends family to sponsor.... post the link here im sure some A&P boardies will sponsor you (well i will anyway it all for a good cause).

if your working send an email around work (I did this too) with the link and asking those who are interested to sponsor you etc.

Best of luck OP and fair play to you :D

if you post the link to your own page on here etc, Ill def donate €10 to help get you started ;)

ps sorry your not a stranger, but still personally i think the website is the way to go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

Thanks anniehoo and cocker5. The SPCA were not listed on mycharity.ie so I'll give them a call and see if they can register themselves on there. I've advertised on Facebook that I'm doing it but got the usual "yes I'll sponsor you!" From loads of people Yet only two actually have.

I don't think I can name the rescue publicly on boards but they are a small rescue ran from one ladies house in the country side with the help of a few volunteers including myself, so she needs all the funding she can get.

Thanks again :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Unless your SPCA is a registered charity I don't think you can use My charity.ie, you need a registered charity number.
    We wanted to use them to fundraise for our nonprofit community organisation, but they aren't a registered charity, so no luck there.
    I know many shelters don't go the registered charity route as it gets very complicated for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

They have a registered charity number, I asked them about the mycharity.ie and one of the girls are going to see if they can get the spca up on there. It would be pretty handy for future fundraisers

• Advertisement
Advertisement