Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD accomodation HEAR Scheme

Options
  • 07-05-2014 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

I understand that there are scholarships available for students who fulfill certain requirements for accommodation in UCD.

This UCD site mentions that HEAR scheme applicants are eligible for assistance in this regard. However, in the section providing links for information on how to apply there is no link to relevant information for HEAR applicants. Can anybody provide this information or show me where I can get it? Would that information be provided after HEAR applicants have been informed that they are benefiting from the scheme?

If anybody can answer these questions I would be appreciative:

Are all HEAR scheme applicants at UCD offered this kind of scholarship?
    What exactly would it cover?
    How can someone apply and when?

Also:

I know that for UCD accommodation you pay in a couple of installments as opposed to weekly/monthly.

I assume a lot of people don't have a couple of thousand to pay up front for the first installment. Do people get loans out and pay them back over the first semester for that?

I'm trying to find accommodation in Dublin as I'll be a first year next year, however I'm not sure if I should go with on campus or if I'd be better off cost-wise elsewhere. I could be accepted for the HEAR scheme and if there's a considerable reduction in on campus accommodation as a consequence then obviously I'll be going for that.

I'd really appreciate any help anyone can provide.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Dave26992

I'm not sure how it works now, but back when I was in first year, in 2010, they did a kind of means tested selection process for allocating places, but this wasn't for "free" accommodation, it was solely for people who didn't have a place on campus or were really far down on the waiting list. HEAR does do scholarships, they are kind of competitive and means tested too, don't know the specific eligibility requirements or whatever but I know anyone in the HEAR scheme can apply for these AIB scholarships I think they were called at the time. And if you got the scholarship you got something like 2 grand a year. And everyone else in the HEAR scheme gets the basic HEAR grant, which has dwindled over the past few years. I personally didn't get the grant or scholarship because I got a different scholarship that had nothing to do with HEAR and you can only hold one scholarship or the other. I know there is some Irish scholarship and sports scholarships that pay for accommodation for students but I'm fairly certain the HEAR scheme doesn't do anything like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

HEAR applicants do have priority for housing. Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 ciaraofcourse

I would suggest you email the Access Centre directly accesscentre @ucd.ie
    Outline your personal situation. They are very helpful and may be able to give you an estimate of what your chances of getting a scholarship are and what other options there are if you don't get a scholarship such as loans or paying in smaller instalments. Although Residence charge a in large instalments I think there may be a system for dealing with people who don't have it all up front, again the Access Centre should be able to help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 lop11

I would suggest you email the Access Centre directly accesscentre @ucd.ie
    Outline your personal situation. They are very helpful and may be able to give you an estimate of what your chances of getting a scholarship are and what other options there are if you don't get a scholarship such as loans or paying in smaller instalments. Although Residence charge a in large instalments I think there may be a system for dealing with people who don't have it all up front, again the Access Centre should be able to help you.

I will do that. Thank you very much.

Advertisement