Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two drives appearing when joining a domain

Options
  • 07-05-2014 11:30pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 29

Hi,
    Recently got new computers with windows 7 there 12 in all and joined them to a network domain, Previously they were computers with windows xp.

Usually we'd then map the drive to a letter, z for example and a specific folder that a student could use and only have access to that,numbered after the student profile for example student 13,
    only instead of the z drive showing up a U drive is showing up with access to that specific numbered student folder, and a separate z drive with access to all the student folders.

The U drive has a sync icon beside it (don't know if that's relevant).

When I try to disconnect the u drive and z drive and map the z drive again I use the browse option with a list the of students folders however the folder that's tied into that profile ie student 13 doesn't show up for some reason.

Any ideas why this would be happening or if anyone else encountered this before

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

There's a GPO setting on the server. Take a look through the GPO settings page and you'll see exactly what you need to change.

I would imagine it's easier to use a GPO to map drives rather than doing it manually?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 29 nucoder

Hey thanks, I'll try that Monday and let you know how I got on.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Just go to Group Policy Management when logged into the server and click Edit on the relevant one.

If it's 2008 or 2012 just search it from the start menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

From an elevated command prompt on one of the clients type:

C:>rsop.exe

This will give you the policies that specifically apply to that machine/account.

Also check if there's a login script that might be executing when a user logs on, that may be how the drives are being mapped. Or there is a login path entered in each users profile which can be checked in the ADDS node of the server manager.

Ken

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 29 nucoder

It got sorted, thanks everyone for your input.

• Advertisement
Advertisement