Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Difference between Banter and Trolling in Soccer Forum

• 07-05-2014 11:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭

Can the Soccer Mods please define the difference between Banter and Trolling

Thanks
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

Red_Dwarf wrote: »

Thanks

Agree place is a joke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Thanks

It's banter when you do it and it's trolling when someone else does it.
    Seems to be the way it works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

I recently had my knuckles slapped for trolling my own thread but was to busy at the time to really respond.
    Basically I was making some slightly sarcastic comments where if I had inserted a smiley nobody would have batted an eye lid. However I was on my phone at the time and don't know the symbols I need to push.
    It seems a shame the ending of my comments were taken as an attempt to troll rather than my sarcastic nature at the given time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Oh my god more soccer feedback, kill it with fire.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,743 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Thanks
    Why don't you go first?

The soccer forum is opt-in. You don't have to read it. You don't have to post in it. If it upsets you, stay away.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Red_Dwarf

Why don't you go first?

The soccer forum is opt-in. You don't have to read it. You don't have to post in it. If it upsets you, stay away.

I have no idea what you mean :confused:

I would like the Mods judgement on the Difference between Banter and Trolling under the Infraction Process......Its not for me to decide the rules...... Thats what Mods are for or not?

I would like the Mods judgement on the Difference between Banter and Trolling under the Infraction Process......Its not for me to decide the rules...... Thats what Mods are for or not?

I'll help you out here. If you want to post funny pictures slagging off a team then use the humour thread or even a match thread is more forgiving. If you go into the club specific superthread and do that, it will more often than not be seen as trolling.

I'll help you out here. If you want to post funny pictures slagging off a team then use the humour thread or even a match thread is more forgiving. If you go into the club specific superthread and do that, it will more often than not be seen as trolling.

So to be clear on this

If you support a Team say Liverpool - You are not to go into another Super thread aka United and Visa Versa for the sole purpose of trying to wind people up as that would be Trolling and Infractions are dealt out?

So to be clear on this

If you support a Team say Liverpool - You are not to go into another Super thread aka United and Visa Versa for the sole purpose of trying to wind people up as that would be Trolling and Infractions are dealt out?

Basically yes if it's just to wind people up.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,743 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

You asked the question but you haven't bothered telling us what you think the difference is.

As a result, it's not Feedback. It's just a collateral attack on the Soccer mods for warning you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

You've answered your own question really.

The charter isnt black and white and the Mods apply their judgement based on the charter and your posting style.

So if the Mods say its trolling and not banter then its trolling, if youve a problem with that decision you can take your issue to the Dispute Resolution Process where a CMod and or Admin can review the cards or bans.

You asked the question but you haven't bothered telling us what you think the difference is.

As a result, it's not Feedback. It's just a collateral attack on the Soccer mods for warning you.

Im looks for the rules on Banter and Trolling in a Forum so I dont get in the situation again.... im not attacking anyone but it looks like your trying to push it that way

banter
    the playful and friendly exchange of teasing remarks.

synonyms: repartee, raillery, ripostes, sallies, swordplay, quips, wisecracks, crosstalk, wordplay; joke, jest, pun, sally, quip; More

The same could be said for Trolling.

I would like the opinion of a soccer mod

This isn't site feedback.

You only started this thread because you got a warning for trolling.

If you want to take issue with the warning, you can appeal it in the Dispute Resolution forum.

For the 3rd time

Im asking for the difference between Banter and trolling from the eyes of a soccer Mod so I dont walk to it again

I dont want them to review my infraction here..... Im requesting the rules so I can abide by them.....

What I see as banter you see as trolling----What I see as Trolling you see as banter.....

Im looking for the difference so we ALL can follow them

Its NOT got to do with my infraction as I opened up a dispute with that.

Again this is not about my infraction

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

It's high time that Boards mods learned that if you label something "a bit of banter" in Ireland, it instantly absolves you of any responsibility for your remarks.

For the 3rd time

Im asking for the difference between Banter and trolling from the eyes of a soccer Mod so I dont walk to it again

I dont want them to review my infraction here..... Im requesting the rules so I can abide by them.....

What I see as banter you see as trolling----What I see as Trolling you see as banter.....

GavRedKing is a soccer mod and has given you an answer already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

For the 3rd time

The "rules" are in the Soccer Charter.

There not intended to be exclusive as if they were, we'd have a thesis on the rules.

The charter is more like a guidfline for the Mods and the posters to follow and adhere too and the Mods usually try and use their best judgement when applying the charter.

I mentioned the DRP as its the only way for you to really question waht a Mod has done in a fair and unbiased fashion by a CMod or Admin.

You can close the thread thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I wonder what percentage of the user base ends up with cards and bans from the forum, a small one I'd say.

That tends to lead to the conclusion that the vast majority of the users who support all teams get the difference, the mods do, whereas a small minority of users don't.

It can be hard at times to see the "banter" if your team isn't doing great, been there myself, but consistently posting wind up posts in a superthread and pointing out how crap they are, isn't going to help not being considered a troll.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    I wonder what percentage of the user base ends up with cards and bans from the forum, a small one I'd say.

That tends to lead to the conclusion that the vast majority of the users who support all teams get the difference, the mods do, whereas a small minority of users don't.

It can be hard at times to see the "banter" if your team isn't doing great, been there myself, but consistently posting wind up posts in a superthread and pointing out how crap they are, isn't going to help not being considered a troll.

Im a United Fan lol

Im a United Fan lol

Lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,651 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

In fairness, it's pretty easy to spot the difference.

Going into another team's superthread and saying lol, or posting gifs with the intention of flaming is going to cause a reaction and derail the thread. These are the worst kind and tbh the punishments should be even harsher for these imo.

The mods do a good job and generally spot the trolls very quickly as do the regular posters.

Advertisement