Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car vandalised

• 07-05-2014 11:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭

I hope someone might be able to help me. My car, a navy 04D Alfa Romeo estate (from the front it looks like the picture below)
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSeUBz2wCvIJ2z7QWtCC6YozLI52eWlB3rnVoar5B_h5BLu6mAt--jpgHk, was parked outside the Presentation Secondary School in Wexford (exactly where the silver car is parked in the picture linked below) on Sunday 4th May from 4pm to 11:15pm. I came back in the dark and collected it and never suspected a thing.

When I sat into it the next morning I noticed that the bonnet seemed very dirty. Got out and had a look, to find it covered in muddy footprints and the bonnet was badly dented, evidently from someone jumping on it. To cut a long story short it's going to cost me between €800 & €900 to get a new bonnet supplied (it's irrepairable), fitted and the front end of the car painted (they scratched the wing when they slid off it).

If you should have seen anyone acting the maggot around there at that time, particularly if they were messing around the parked cars, or if you should hear anything about who might be responsible, I'd appreciate any information. I'd be most delighted to give a reward to anyone who can give me (or the Gardai) information leading to a prosecution - it's not that I'm loaded, or I wouldn't be driving a 10 year old car, but it's really important to me to see those responsible punished. Even better to get the costs paid. If you do have anything to tell me, please PM me rather than posting on an open forum. It's a long shot but what the hey.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Utter w8ankers seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Does the Pres or the Clinic have any CCTV that could help?

Terrible for that to happen. 100 yards from the Garda station and the scum have no fear of doing stuff like that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Unfortunately there is no CCTV around there. The Garda who's handling the complaint has already investigated. He's going to go door-to-door next week too, when he's on days, but I'm dubious about any outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭hop2it

sorry to hear about your car I hope you find the scumbags also I think your being ripped off buy you garage €400 to €500 would sound more realistic

hop2it wrote: »
    sorry to hear about your car I hope you find the scumbags also I think your being ripped off buy you garage €400 to €500 would sound more realistic

Thanks - I'm not confident but...

I was surprised at the cost alright - first quote is actually a shade over a grand: new panel 260, paint 200-odd and labour 450, all plus VAT. Probably half of the car's value.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭coathanger

Sorry to hear about your car.Did you think of picking up a second hand bonnet for your car instead,it would probably work out cheaper than your quote!

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭hop2it

what model of alfa is it 147?

Facelifted 156. Could get second hand bonnet and get it sprayed for prob 400 but excess is only 300 and NCB is protected.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭ArnieSilvia

Best try to get second hand panel in same colour, should be possible with better colour match and cheaper. Look in the North as well

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭sparkynash

Get a second hand bonnet,get her sprayed and let it go.its not the end of the world.

It's not the end of the world - nobody died. But that doesn't mean it's unreasonable to feel hard done by for having a grand worth of damage done to my car when it was parked in a public space.

Even a second hand bonnet fitted and sprayed is going to cost probably more than E500. Maybe you have that kind of cash hanging around to clean up after some gurrier's idle destructive whim but I don't.

Some day it could happen to your car and maybe then you won't be quite so dismissive of my attempts to find out who might have caused the damage.

Well yes i have spare cash,a prick hit my car few weeks ago,1200 to fix it.cars 13 yrs old 250000miles on it,i was changing my car this year anyway but it broke my heart to see it damaged,i got 1000 out of it and ill sell car for few hundred as it is

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭coathanger

I know what you mean,you should be able to park your car with out fear of it being vandalised,but I think those days are gone unfortunately.:(
    There is a great car dismantler/scrap guy outside Bunclody,I got a bonnet of him recently for a Golf,€50!Matched my car so didn't need a respray,have got a few bits of him over the years,never charges the earth.It might be worth giving him a call...;)

sparkynash wrote: »
    Well yes i have spare cash,a prick hit my car few weeks ago,1200 to fix it.cars 13 yrs old 250000miles on it,i was changing my car this year anyway but it broke my heart to see it damaged,i got 1000 out of it and ill sell car for few hundred as it is

0105001.jpg

Thanks but at 13yrs old and 250000 miles its life is over it owes me nothing.if the car was involved in another crash i may not walk away so fir that and that alone no car is worth fixing,i owned a 1991alfa Romeo 33 boxer cloverleaf and it was the best car i ever had.they were the days when i drove from portlaoise to Dublin at 145mph and nobody cared.lol