Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from Soccer Forum

Options
  • 08-05-2014 12:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭

I was given an infraction by MarsBar and got a 3 month ban for "Personal Abuse" in the post which I feel is unwarranted.

I used 4 asterisks as a joke in a post .

I discussed it with the mod in question and queried the decision.

The 4 asterisks could be anything. I typed the 4 asterisks ,it wasn't a word that subsequently got censored by boards.

When i queried this ,the MOD said it was clear what my intentions were.Mod stated "The asterisks don't hide anything" yet there was no word there to start with.

Have I gotten a 3 month ban because a Mod thinks I may have implied something ? Is typing an asterisk a yellow card offense ?

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Apologies for not getting to this sooner, but I've been distracted by some real life issues in recent days

You responded to a Liverpool fan posting in the Man United Superthread
    what a sad miserable ****
    I cannot check whether you actually used a word that was masked by the swear filter or posted 4 x "*", but TBH that is irrelevant. You have been around long enough to understand how the swear filter works, and anyone reading that post would believe you either posted a swear word or intended to give the impression you had

That is clear abuse, warranting at the very least a yellow card (and possibly a higher sanction). In your case a yellow would have triggered a 3 month ban under the forum totting up process and the mod applied this sanction. As it was I believe the system did not allow the mod to subsequently apply a card to the same post, but it is clear that you should also have had a yellow card for that post. In terms of this season the lack of that yellow card makes no difference to future sanctions as you will be unable to access the forum until next season, when your "yellow card count" will be reset to zero.

Hence I am upholding the 3 month ban. You may ask for an Admin to review this decision if you wish

• Registered Users Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Beasty wrote: »
    Apologies for not getting to this sooner, but I've been distracted by some real life issues in recent days

You responded to a Liverpool fan posting in the Man United Superthread
    I cannot check whether you actually used a word that was masked by the swear filter or posted 4 x "*", but TBH that is irrelevant. You have been around long enough to understand how the swear filter works, and anyone reading that post would believe you either posted a swear word or intended to give the impression you had

That is clear abuse, warranting at the very least a yellow card (and possibly a higher sanction). In your case a yellow would have triggered a 3 month ban under the forum totting up process and the mod applied this sanction. As it was I believe the system did not allow the mod to subsequently apply a card to the same post, but it is clear that you should also have had a yellow card for that post. In terms of this season the lack of that yellow card makes no difference to future sanctions as you will be unable to access the forum until next season, when your "yellow card count" will be reset to zero.

Hence I am upholding the 3 month ban. You may ask for an Admin to review this decision if you wish
    So I am getting a ban for something that I may have implied or the impression a sentence gave.The four asterisks can mean anything and surely its not my fault there is no why a mod can't check weather a swear word was posted or just four asterisks.
    I presumed that could be checked considering its boards that censor a word after it is posted if it is deemed to be offensive.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

It cannot be checked - even if it could the card would stand as anyone reading the post can clearly see the intent. It is definitely your fault, for either using a swearword or thinking you could try to be "clever" and find a way to give the impression to everyone else that you were using such a word

Do you want an Admin to review this?

Beasty wrote: »
    It cannot be checked - even if it could the card would stand as anyone reading the post can clearly see the intent. It is definitely your fault, for either using a swearword or thinking you could try to be "clever" and find a way to give the impression to everyone else that you were using such a word

Do you want an Admin to review this?

Might as well let an Admin review it.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

What exactly did you imply with those four asterisks?

• Advertisement

Gordon wrote: »
    What exactly did you imply with those four asterisks?

It's impossible that anyone would sense any hint of an implication of the word 'post' from the content surrounding that implication.

Also, why did you not write the word 'post' in that case?

It's impossible that anyone would sense any hint of an implication of the word 'post' from the content surrounding that implication.

Did you read the post I was replying to ?

yabadabado wrote: »
    Did you read the post I was replying to ?

This ****?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by redzerdrog
    Are ye nervous tonight lads? I don't think there is any need to be you will get the win you need Villa are terrible

Yabadabado you ****, I have replied.

• Advertisement

This ****?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by redzerdrog
    Are ye nervous tonight lads? I don't think there is any need to be you will get the win you need Villa are terrible

that's the one.

Should I report your post because there is 4 asterisks in it ?

Yabadabado you dude, I have replied.

;)

that's the one.

Should I report your post because there is 4 asterisks in it ?

Are you saying that there is an implication contained within my post(s)?

Are you saying that there is an implication contained within my post(s)?
    No far from it,I have no why of knowing but a mod seems to think "asterisks hide nothing".They must be a mind reader.

Are you saying that if someone posted a reply to you and said: "yabadabado is a sad miserable ****" then you wouldn't think that they were trying to insult you?

Are you saying that if someone posted a reply to you and said: "yabadabado is a sad miserable ****" then you wouldn't think that they were trying to insult you?

no name/poster was mentioned in my post that was deemed to be offensive.The post above is a totally different scenario.

I see, so you can see the implication around the asterisks in my post, extending the simple punctuation to a much bigger meaning, one with a negative connotation. I'm glad you see that implication, so I presume you can understand that asterisks mean more than simple asterisks.

Why did you not just write 'post'?

I see, so you can see the implication around the asterisks in my post, extending the simple punctuation to a much bigger meaning, one with a negative connotation. I'm glad you see that implication, so I presume you can understand that asterisks mean more than simple asterisks.

What do the 4 asterisks in your post stand for ?

I could have used the four asterisks in the post as a joke, the four asterisks could be anything.

• Advertisement

I could have used the four asterisks in the post as a joke, the four asterisks could be anything.

That's exactly my point.

If you explained to me what was intended in your post and if it wasn't offensive, I would have no reason to believe otherwise.

So you expect, in a thread that is probably running high with emotives and attempted banter, and teams against teams, and team rivalry, you expect to throw an ambiguous comment into the fray, and expect the person that you aimed this comment at to reply on thread and ask you what the true meaning behind your asterisks are. That's not cool IMO, it's inciting off topicness.

Anyway, for a third time, my question: why didn't you just write the word 'post'?

So you expect, in a thread that is probably running high with emotives and attempted banter, and teams against teams, and team rivalry, you expect to throw an ambiguous comment into the fray, and expect the person that you aimed this comment at to reply on thread and ask you what the true meaning behind your asterisks are. That's not cool IMO, it's inciting off topicness.

Anyway, for a third time, my question: why didn't you just write the word 'post'?

If someone was offended they can report or ask via PM and all would have been explained.
    as I explained earlier (post 3),I presumed that it could be checked considering its boards that censor a word after it is posted if it is deemed to be offensive.
    Once it was checked it would show it wasn't an offensive word.

If someone was offended they can report or ask via PM and all would have been explained.
    as I explained earlier ,I presumed that it could be checked considering its boards that censor a word after it is posted if it is deemed to be offensive.
    Once it was checked it would show it wasn't an offensive word.

1) someone may indeed have reported it
    2) it doesn't matter if you wrote asterisks or a swear word
    3) we are not checking what you wrote, and we cannot
    4) my question, you are dodging it

1) someone may indeed have reported it
    2) it doesn't matter if you write asterisks or a swear word
    3) we are not checking what you wrote, and we cannot
    4) my question, you are dodging it

why did I not write "post" I didn't think it would make much difference,when I thought it could be checked,obviously I was wrong.

Do you always go around writing asterisks in place of random words because you don't think it makes a difference?

You said you did it to be funny, can you explain what is funny about replacing the word 'post' with four asterisks? Maybe if you explained the joke, I would understand.

Do you always go around writing asterisks in place of random words because you don't think it makes a difference?

You said you did it to be funny, can you explain what is funny about replacing the word 'post' with four asterisks? Maybe if you explained the joke, I would understand.

I never said I did it to be funny ,I said I did it as a joke.Everyone has a different sense of humour.

I never said I did it to be funny ,I said I did it as a joke.Everyone has a different sense of humour.

I see, and I apologise, in my world jokes are meant to be funny, or relatively funny. In that case, can you please explain the joke that was not intended to be funny. Thank you.

I see, and I apologise, in my world jokes are meant to be funny, or relatively funny. In that case, can you please explain the joke that was not intended to be funny. Thank you.

4 asterisks could mean/imply anything.To me that's funny.As i said everyone has a different sense of humor.

There are hundreds of thousands of four letter words in the English language and I was banned because a Mod thinks I implied or gave the impression of something I didn't.They said via PM the 4 asterisks could only be a swear word when clearly it doesn't.

• Advertisement

While you're writing out your explanation of the joke, I'll just make a comment on the length of time this has taken. So far, a moderator, category moderator and admin have looked into your ambiguous four asterisks. One can only imagine how off topic this would be if someone asked you to explain your meaning in that thread, one can only imagine the amount of off topicness and arguments that could have taken place. But instead, we spend a great deal of our time discussing it here. Hash tag I'm just saying.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement