Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from Soccer Forum

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

yabadabado wrote: »
    4 asterisks could mean/imply anything.To me that's funny.As i said everyone has a different sense of humor.

There are hundreds of thousands of four letter words in the English language and I was banned because a Mod thinks I implied or gave the impression of something I didn't.
    I see, so the thing that you find funny about your comment was that the four asterisks could mean anything, and indeed could imply anything. You liked the ambiguous implication around four asterisks, you found that funny. Ok

And you understand that everyone has different types of humour, so you would know that other people wouldn't find that funny, ok I'm glad you understand that.

Therefore you understand that some people would be offended by that comment, and some people would find it funny. I seem to be coming to a conclusion here.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Gordon wrote: »
    While you're writing out your explanation of the joke, I'll just make a comment on the length of time this has taken. So far, a moderator, category moderator and admin have looked into your ambiguous four asterisks. One can only imagine how off topic this would be if someone asked you to explain your meaning in that thread, one can only imagine the amount of off topicness and arguments that could have taken place. But instead, we spend a great deal of our time discussing it here. Hash tag I'm just saying.

If someone found offense they can report it and all would be explained to the Mod.

No that's not correct, because although you claim that you intended the word 'post' in place of those asterisks, you also intended that the asterisks were to mean and to imply 'anything'. Therefore you have shown me that your intention was to imply absolutely any four letter word. You explained that the joke in the post, that you found funny but not everyone else does, is all about the absolute ambiguity in it, because you could have written any four letter word. Four letter words such as 'dude' 'sh*t' 'cool' 'post' 'c*nt' etc etc.

I see, so the thing that you find funny about your comment was that the four asterisks could mean anything, and indeed could imply anything. You liked the ambiguous implication around four asterisks, you found that funny. Ok

And you understand that everyone has different types of humour, so you would know that other people wouldn't find that funny, ok I'm glad you understand that.

Therefore you understand that some people would be offended by that comment, and some people would find it funny. I seem to be coming to a conclusion here.
    I don't see how anyone could be offended by it once it was explained.

If it was explained that you implied any four letter word?

• Advertisement

If it was explained that you implied any four letter word?

sad miserable post was the intended sentence ,someone has taken the four asterisks to mean something different.I intended it to be "post" but everyone can take different meaning .Are guessing games offensive ?

So I am getting a ban for something that I may have implied
    You did imply, you said you did imply anything and everything.
    4 asterisks could mean/imply anything.To me that's funny.As i said everyone has a different sense of humor.

There are hundreds of thousands of four letter words in the English language and I was banned because a Mod thinks I implied or gave the impression of something I didn't.They said via PM the 4 asterisks could only be a swear word when clearly it doesn't.
    No far from it,I have no why of knowing but a mod seems to think "asterisks hide nothing".They must be a mind reader.
    Not of your mind, but, yes, of other people's minds they do actually. They need to think and mull over whether or not other people are going to get annoyed at your post, your completely ambiguous and unfunny post, intentionally unfunny. You intentionally posted an unfunny ambiguous post in order to imply absolutely anything. Mods quite rightly will try to understand the minds of the reader to make a judgement on what is acceptable.

Sometimes 4 asterisks can mean anything, sometimes it can mean a four letter word, sometimes a four letter word is a positive thing, sometimes it's bad.
    What exactly did you imply with those four asterisks?
    You implied the word 'post'? But you told me that you implied anything and everything. In this long running thread you have backtracked, to cover up the fact that you posted what you posted in order to make a thinly veiled attack, hoping to stay within the rules under the cover of the censor.
    sad miserable post was the intended sentence ,someone has taken the four asterisks to mean something different.
    Because you specifically intended it, you said it yourself.
    I intended it to be "post" but everyone can take different meaning .Are guessing games offensive ?
    No, guessing games are sometimes off-topic and trollish and inciteful of arguments. You should have written 'post' if you intended 'post' but you didn't intend it, you intended every four letter word in existence.

You expect a mod to PM you to ask you to explain what word you meant (which you admit is 'anything'), you expect others to report your post, you expect us to investigate this; otherwise you expect other people in the soccer forum to ask you on-thread what your ambiguity is hiding behind. You expect us to do the legwork around your commentary when your commentary was designed to be ambiguous and unfunny to many readers, and even provoke off-topicness and negativity. This is called trolling.

That post was trolling, classic trolling.
    Have I gotten a 3 month ban because a Mod thinks I may have implied something ?
    No, you have accumulated plenty of warnings and bans in the past for this further incident to warrant a 3 month ban. This particular incident, given your history, definitely earns you a further ban, because you just can't converse with people while sticking to our rules. You have history, you know how the censor works, and you know how four letter words work:
    You are a pathetic **** and thats coming from someone who doesn't want O'Neill or Keane involved.
    your comment after you received a red card for that post:
    Didn't take long to get the infraction but well worth it.

Your ban stays.

because I posted abusive posts in the past that is being used against me now,I already served a ban for them .
    If I was trolling why wasn't I banned for that,I was banned for "personal abuse " yet after all this time it is now changed.

If I was trolling why wasn't I banned for that,I was banned for "personal abuse " yet after all this time it is now changed.
    If you post ambiguous, negative comments, don't be surprised to find two people to see the ambiguous, negative comment have different implications.

Would you like me to cancel the ban and replace it with a three month ban for 'trolling and/or personal abuse'?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

because I posted abusive posts in the past that is being used against me now,I already served a ban for them .
    Sorry Gordon for coming back in here, but I would just point out that the user was banned for reaching the equivalent of 5 yellow cards during the season in the Soccer Forum. 5 yellows automatically triggers a minimum 3 month ban, as set out in the Forum Charter

• Advertisement

If you post ambiguous, negative comments, don't be surprised to find two people to see the ambiguous, negative comment have different implications.

Would you like me to cancel the ban and replace it with a three month ban for 'trolling and/or personal abuse'?

I would rather you just cancelled the ban .I have never disagreed with a card/ban before and wouldn't have this time except I believe I am being very hard done by and I reckon the majority of poster's would agree.

Beasty wrote: »
    Sorry Gordon for coming back in here, but I would just point out that the user was banned for reaching the equivalent of 5 yellow cards during the season in the Soccer Forum. 5 yellows automatically triggers a minimum 3 month ban, as set out in the Forum Charter

I have spent half the evening discussing my ban yet the person with the final say doesn't even know the reason I am banned.

I would rather you just cancelled the ban .I have never disagreed with a card/ban before and wouldn't have this time except I believe I am being very hard done by
    You have proved that you intended absolutely every meaning, you stated that you implied anything with your post. Therefore it's impossible that you don't understand that you posted a contentious remark. And as you don't understand that, I imagine you may never get it, so you will probably see a permanent ban at some point if you keep this up. Hopefully you will be able to reflect on your ambiguity in your time off.
    and I reckon the majority of poster's would agree.
    I disagree, however, even if it were true, it has no significance on this dispute.

Your ban stays, this is resolved as I understand why you were banned, and I have the final say.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement