Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Photo proof foundation?

• 08-05-2014 12:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend a foundation that doesn't look washed out in photos?

I normally wear Bobbi Brown Long Wear Foundation in Medium. It looks good in natural light and matches my skin tone well but in photos it's ghostly white. I've tried bronzers but they just make my face look dirty or like I have bronzer on but no foundation. I don't like wearing fake tan on my face so that's out.

So can anyone recommend something decent? I'm open to all brands and prices (within reason!)

Thanks boardsies :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Are you sure it's the foundation? I thought Estée Lauder DW Light was giving me ghost face but turns out the powder I was using over it had a lot of talc in it which reflected the flash back. Now I fix my make up with the Mac spray and don't have an issue (it was the make up artist who did my make up for my wedding who told me what the problem was). Some foundations also have talc in them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

I've no idea how much truth there is to this but I've been told by a few different MUA's that SPF is what causes that washed out look in photos. Make Up Forever and Nars claim to make their foundations specifically for photography and they don't contain any SPF so their may be something too it. I couldn't tell you if it's just the top level that matters or if wearing moisturiser or primer with SPF make a difference, but it's worth playing around with to see if you notice a difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bnagrrl

Are you sure it's the foundation? I thought Estée Lauder DW Light was giving me ghost face but turns out the powder I was using over it had a lot of talc in it which reflected the flash back. Now I fix my make up with the Mac spray and don't have an issue (it was the make up artist who did my make up for my wedding who told me what the problem was). Some foundations also have talc in them

Forgot to mention I don't wear powder over my foundation :o my foundation is creme based so I just buff it in with a Duo fibre brush.

I've no idea how much truth there is to this but I've been told by a few different MUA's that SPF is what causes that washed out look in photos. Make Up Forever and Nars claim to make their foundations specifically for photography and they don't contain any SPF so their may be something too it. I couldn't tell you if it's just the top level that matters or if wearing moisturiser or primer with SPF make a difference, but it's worth playing around with to see if you notice a difference.

Hmm that's a good point about the SPF but I just checked my foundation and it doesn't mention having SPF. :confused::)

I think I'll look into the MUFE. I've never had much joy with NARS products.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

What foundation do you use OP?

I've tried MAC Studio Sculpt now it has an SPF15 but it didn't seem to give me a white or washed out look in photos, dunno if you have tried it, but if you haven't it might be worth getting a sample and trying it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles

I said this to the girl in MAC and she gave me studio sculpt foundation, works great for me.

I find NARS is also good for photos!

Revlon colourstay washes me out in photos, as does Inglot.

What foundation do you use OP?

I've tried MAC Studio Sculpt now it has an SPF15 but it didn't seem to give me a white or washed out look in photos, dunno if you have tried it, but if you haven't it might be worth getting a sample and trying it out.

I use a bobbi brown long wear creme foundation. I used to set it with a bobbi brown powder but didn't like how cakey it looked so I don't bother with powder at all now. On the compact it doesn't mention SPF so not sure if there's any in it.

I'll look into studio sculpt, thanks for the advice :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Is it this one? http://www.bobbibrown.co.uk/product/5141/25261/Makeup/Face/Foundation/Long-Wear-Even-Finish-Compact-Foundation/Award-Winner/index.tmpl

I have never used that particular one, although there is a liquid version which has SPF15 so although it doesn't mention SPF on yours, I would assume there is SPF in it, though it is possible I am wrong.

http://www.bobbibrown.co.uk/product/5141/22257/Makeup/Face/Foundation/Long-Wear-Even-Finish-Foundation-SPF15/Best-Seller/index.tmpl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 746 ✭✭✭diveout

Get one that is spf free. Make UP Forever or Smashbox do them.

• Advertisement

Is it this one? http://www.bobbibrown.co.uk/product/5141/25261/Makeup/Face/Foundation/Long-Wear-Even-Finish-Compact-Foundation/Award-Winner/index.tmpl

I have never used that particular one, although there is a liquid version which has SPF15 so although it doesn't mention SPF on yours, I would assume there is SPF in it, though it is possible I am wrong.

http://www.bobbibrown.co.uk/product/5141/22257/Makeup/Face/Foundation/Long-Wear-Even-Finish-Foundation-SPF15/Best-Seller/index.tmpl

Yep that's the one I use :) there's no mention of SPF at all on the compact. Apart from how bad it looks in photos I really like it, it lasts hours and matches my skin tone perfectly. I wear the colour Natural which is a fairly medium colour. I'll have to test out what will be a good colour match in MAC.

Advertisement