Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ELECTION POSTERS

Options
  • 08-05-2014 12:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

Has anybody noticed the election posters that adorn out ESB poles this year? have you also noticed how some of them look pretty good while others look more like 'a scare at bed time', Of all the posters around Co. Sligo one individuals face keeps sticking out the most, he has a rather sickening superstitious grin on his face that would give ya piles. :eek:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

How could you not notice them? Total distraction them things, and in time will be banned in my opinion, same with all the junk mail.

As for the scary face thing. I heard somewhere years ago, that the eyes reflect the good and bad in people. One eye reflects the kindness, the other eye reflects the darker side. If there is a good balance between both eyes, ie: one is not frighteningly demonic, then this reflects the persons fairness.

It's most likely a load of old cods wallop, but check out those smiling wannabe's. Some have a definite imbalance the eyes, but mind you don't crash the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

There's one smarmy looking bloke with a wry smile or smirk (can't decide). Anyway he looks as if he'd evict your Granny from her own house in a heartbeat if he got any sort of power.

Won't name names, but don't worry, you'll spot him and then it'll click...... what a smarmy looking bastárd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

I got my official Dail Eireann branded letter , postage paid by the government from John Perry with some "local news" and big bold writing at the bottom to vote for the local candidate if we want to see these projects complete.
    If anything should be banned then TDs taking advantage of free post from government offices should.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

bennyc wrote: »
    I got my official Dail Eireann branded letter , postage paid by the government from John Perry with some "local news" and big bold writing at the bottom to vote for the local candidate if we want to see these projects complete.
    If anything should be banned then TDs taking advantage of free post from government offices should.

Return to sender, not surprised to see Perry spending taxpayers money in this way and not taking it out of his substantial wage packet.

Plazaman wrote: »
    There's one smarmy looking bloke with a wry smile or smirk (can't decide). Anyway he looks as if he'd evict your Granny from her own house in a heartbeat if he got any sort of power.

Won't name names, but don't worry, you'll spot him and then it'll click...... what a smarmy looking bastárd.

LOLLLL!! First laugh of the day!! Cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Scarlet42

There is one .. and its terrible .. it looks like it was taken with a mob phone camera, what makes it worse is the light seems to be coming right down from above his head ... a bit like when you point a torch up from your chin and he does have a creepy grin ..

Sligo is full of photographers and I'm sure if you gave one of them 30 euros for a ten minute session they would have done a better job .. considering your face is going to plastered all over the town AND you want people to vote for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Time all this stupid poster lark was banned. Who votes according to what it says on a poster or flyer?
    Legal litter is all it is.

Some of the most beautiful places in the county/country destroyed with this rubbish.

People will say it's part of the razzmatazz of election time and will be gone in a few weeks, but to me that's not an argument.
    They appear to have no appreciation of the hard work that communities put in to compete in Tidy Towns competitions etc. when they're going around blighting the countryside.

Likewise for posters asking for votes for silly tv talent shows.

Rant over!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

I've been meaning to take a pic of the junction at Carraroe coming from the Ballygawley road, they've posted them on the poles of the little island, meaning you can't see down the road towards Aughamore as you're trying to pull out, bloody annoying.

306216.JPG

On a related note, was coming back from Mohill last week, spotted two lads pulling election posters out of a car while I was waiting to pull out onto the N4, as I was passing I pulled in and rolled down the window and shouted "Hey!", as they glanced up, looking confused, I roared, "Stop littering the place!" before speeding off, childish I know, but made me chuckle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Ham Sambo

Plazaman wrote: »

By any chance would this guy belong to a party who's initials are sf?? :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭sligoface

A few low hanging ones in my part of town. I've plenty of spray paint and a few extra fat spray caps, gonna wait till it's closer to the election and give them all massive afro hairstyles. It's bad enough these arrogant, privileged, inept wasters have bankrupted Sligo, I don't need to see their ugly mugs smiling at me from every lamppost as I walk m through town. I'd look into the shop windows instead but sure most of them are empty.

The posters are actually having the opposite intended effect on me. The ones I see the most, sure I'll remember them. As the jerks who plastered eyesores all over the town, who I will not be voting for as a result because I'm so sick of seeing them. The more posters I see the farther down the preference list you go.

Politicians would de better if they just placed an ad in the paper stating their stance on important issues, so I have a choice to engage with them and can actually see something more substantial than 'Vote No.1'. It's cheaper too, those posters cost are 30-40 plus Vat each.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭wayoutwest

I think that defacing election posters is illegal (defamation)as is removing them (theft or littering?).However if the poster is placed in a way that obstructs vision to drivers (at road junctions) or distracts drivers at places where they really need to be concentrating (bad bends, twisty narrow bridges etc) then you could ring the candidate and ask them1 to remove it .If he/she does'nt respond within the hour then, contact the Gardai and report the offence, before someone has an accident.
    Do they have to get a licence to put up posters?-if so ,what are the terms and conditions?.
    Does anyone know the law relating to this subject?

wayoutwest wrote: »
    I think that defacing election posters is illegal (defamation)as is removing them (theft or littering?).However if the poster is placed in a way that obstructs vision to drivers (at road junctions) or distracts drivers at places where they really need to be concentrating (bad bends, twisty narrow bridges etc) then you could ring the candidate and ask them1 to remove it .If he/she does'nt respond within the hour then, contact the Gardai and report the offence, before someone has an accident.
    Do they have to get a licence to put up posters?-if so ,what are the terms and conditions?.
    Does anyone know the law relating to this subject?

I don't know the law, but common sense would seem to me that if anything was obstructing the view of a driver that it should be moved immediately, or at very least contact AGS immediately. Contact the candidate first? Are you kidding?

Why not contact the candidate? -they might be unaware that a poster (put up by one of their half-witted henchmen)is illegally positioned.The speed and manner of their response might be some sort indication of how they will be able to help you if they get elected.

:D
    Why not contact the candidate? -they might be unaware that a poster (put up by one of their half-witted henchmen)is illegally positioned.The speed and manner of their response might be some sort indication of how they will be able to help you if they get elected.

I can only surmise that you have some connection with a candidates election campaign when you clearly have preference for the candidates opportunity for promotion rather than that of the safety of road users which common sense would ordinarily dictate should be paramount.

Ham Sambo wrote: »
    By any chance would this guy belong to a party who's initials are sf?? :o

Trying to keep party politics out of it, however I would say that both a FF and FG candidate are currently neck and neck in the race to win that particular prize.

"Look into my eyes, look straight into my eyes, you're back in the room...".

I don't see why contacting the candidate ( to inform them that they may be responsable for a dangerously placed poster)makes me a supporter of anyone.Are you suggesting that I should just use my common sense and pull them down myself?

I don't see why contacting the candidate ( to inform them that they may be responsable for a dangerously placed poster)makes me a supporter of anyone.Are you suggesting that I should just use my common sense and pull them down myself?

I'm suggesting that road safety should be paramount.

I know.....thats why I am suggesting ways of getting them removed.I think it would only be fair,to allow the chance for a candidate to 'put things right'.
    The placement of posters at junctions, roundabouts and at places that obsruct the vision of other roadsigns is illegal under the Road Traffic acts.
    I'm sure that any future politition would'nt want to be (caught)breaking the law

I know.....thats why I am suggesting ways of getting them removed.I think it would only be fair,to allow the chance for a candidate to 'put things right'.
    The placement of posters at junctions, roundabouts and at places that obsruct the vision of other roadsigns is illegal under the Road Traffic acts.
    I'm sure that any future politition would'nt want to be (caught)breaking the law

Let me give you a scenario:

You have narrowly avoided a collision with a motorcyclist due to the fact that your vision was partly obstructed by a badly placed election poster.

You get out of the car and reach for your mobile.

The options are:

a) Make an attempt to call the candidates election team or

b) Make a call directly to AGS and inform them of the danger?

Your call.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭TheQ47

bennyc wrote: »

I got the same thing, and I've emailed the Standards in Public Office Commission to complain. As far as I'm concerned, its in breach of the code of conduct for junior ministers. We'll see what they say.

• Advertisement

In that scenario, I may very well take it upon myself to
    a)take photos then
    b)carefully snip the cable ties(so not to damage the actual poster) and then
    c)ring election office, rant at them and then ask them where they want me to stick it .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

a)take photos then
    c)ring election office, rant at them and then ask tell them where they want me can stick it .
    ;)

a)take photos then
    c)ring election office, rant at them and then ask them where they want me to stick it .

OK, so you are the side of a road after a near collision, with the ability to take a meaningful photo (presumably taken to cover you in case you are charged with damage to property), and you also have cutters capable of cutting through presumably heavy duty plastic ties.

You then have been able to find the direct line to the people who are responsible for putting up the posters (or as you have called them "half-witted henchmen"), and have a "rant" and are now left standing at the roadside until they give you a response and also potentially getting you into a phone confrontation with someone who may not react very well to the tone in which you are asking them "where they want me to stick it".

OK, good luck with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Why are we all afraid to name names about who people think look creepy on a public representative poster?

This cloak and dagger stuff bugs me.

Why are we all afraid to name names about who people think look creepy on a public representative poster?

This cloak and dagger stuff bugs me.

Well I'm sure everybody round here is real upset about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Scarlet42

I'm no way connected to this guy..have just seen this on Facebook..Looks like someone was out with the paint spray

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭bonzos

They all forgot to include some important info....how much they are costing us PA. Up to €88k!!!!

Sligo County Council

Listed in order of remunerations paid

Cawley, Veronica (Ind) €88,771
    McGrath, Pat (FG) €79,775
    Mullaney, Gerard (FG) €75,975
    Fleming, Michael (FG) €72,693
    Mulvey, Dara (FG) €70,981
    Barrett, Mary (FG) €68,408
    Lyons, Matt (FG) €66,654
    McGarry, Jim (Lab) €65,442
    Lundy, Jerry (FF) €60,048
    Keany, Hubert (FG) €57,763
    Collery, Thomas, (FG) €55,253
    O'Grady, Rosaleen (FF) €55,247
    Baker, Martin (FF) €55,021
    Collery, Thomas, (FG) €55,253
    Queenan, Joe (FF) €54,211
    Barry, Patsy (FF) €53,736
    MacManus, Sean (SF) €53,476
    Clarke, Michael (Ind) €53,057
    Devins, Jude (FF) €51,975
    Murray, Gerry FG (RIP) €51,108
    Healy-McGowan (FF) €50,796
    Gormley, Margaret (Ind) €50,792
    Cawley, David, (FG) €50,665
    Bree, Declan, (Ind) €50,367
    McLoughlin, Aoife (FG) C/O €47,119
    Leonard, Joe (FG) €44,581

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭bonzos

Our estate last week had the privilege of MacSharry road show doorsteping us.141 BMW's, expensive suits and Ray leading the charge. When asked about if he saw they saw Tom Gilmartins son on he Late Late....no answer. Perry due soon im sure promotion the brother in law,more mercs and money. Insulting to the average tax payer having these egos on our property.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭SPM1959

Why isn't R O'Grady using the FF standard election posters? Looks very strange - when compared to MacSharry's for example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭LaGlisse

bonzos wrote: »
    They all forgot to include some important info....how much they are costing us PA. Up to €88k!!!!

Sligo County Council

Listed in order of remunerations paid

Cawley, Veronica (Ind) €88,771
    McGrath, Pat (FG) €79,775
    Mullaney, Gerard (FG) €75,975
    Fleming, Michael (FG) €72,693
    Mulvey, Dara (FG) €70,981
    Barrett, Mary (FG) €68,408
    Lyons, Matt (FG) €66,654
    McGarry, Jim (Lab) €65,442
    Lundy, Jerry (FF) €60,048
    Keany, Hubert (FG) €57,763