Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Update Java Virus

Options
  • 08-05-2014 2:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I seem to have picked up some sort of virus that keeps interrupting my internet browsing (mainly on sports streaming sites, they are all ok and I've used them regularly without any problems for a while now) and telling me that my Java is out of date and I need to install the new version - for a which a "handy" pop up window appears.

Now, my version of Java is up to date (I uninstalled it and installed the updated version from the official Java website). I've done a system restore and a scan (both in normal and safe mode) with Malwarebytes (which both showed there was 0 threats found) but it's still there.

The address for the virus page that appears is upstaradown.com - DO NOT OPEN, this is the virus.

I'm useless when it comes to things like this and have only basic capabilities in IT - can somebody here help me, please??

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

It may be a website problem as the site is forbidden on My isp atm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭BandMember

Nowso wrote: »
    It may be a website problem as the site is forbidden on My isp atm

What website do you mean? If it's the one I mentioned in my post, DO NOT click on it as that IS the virus!!

The websites I am having problems with work fine until I try to open a stream - then the virus comes up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

It might not be a virus, just one of the many very dodgy popups you get on those kind of streaming sites.

If you have not done so aleady, install the Ad-Block addon for you browser. It block most ads and in particular, those kind of popups.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭BandMember

It might not be a virus, just one of the many very dodgy popups you get on those kind of streaming sites.

If you have not done so aleady, install the Ad-Block addon for you browser. It block most ads and in particular, those kind of popups.

No, it's not a pop up as it automatically makes the browser (Firefox on Windows 7) leave the page and go to that address. Any further attempts to access it get the same results. It also happens I use a very popular website to download.

I'll definitely install that Ad-Block thing though, thanks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

run adwcleaner and post its log

www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/

• Advertisement
Advertisement